Incorrect use of apostrophes in the media?!

(25 Posts)
febel Sun 23-Oct-16 17:43:23

Yes, I hold my hands up, I am a grammer and puntucation purist although don't admit to always knowing the correct way...BUT I would CHECK my punctuation and spelling if I was in publishing! (or indeed making any notice/announcement in the public eye) No wonder our poor kids get it wrong when they see things published incorrectly.

www.prima.co.uk/leisure/a36369/selfridges-has-revealed-its-christmas-window/
(..and for those who don't want to click the link it reads:
"Selfridges has revealed it's Christmas window")

Rule 1: When you mean it is or it has, use an apostrophe.
Rule 2: When you are using its as a possessive, don’t use the apostrophe.
(http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/pronouns/1-grammar-error/)

I teach in a post 16 college and a lot of the students get this so mixed up....no wonder if they read it articles written by people who use it incorrectly! Grrrrrrrr!!

Bumbleclat Sun 23-Oct-16 17:44:55

AGREED!

SooBee61 Sun 23-Oct-16 17:46:16

But are you aware you have written "I am a grammer and puntucation purist " in your first sentence?

NickNacks Sun 23-Oct-16 17:47:06

I'll let someone else say it...

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 17:47:19

...the link, it reads...
...it in...?

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 17:49:36

"SooBee61

But are you aware you have written "I am a grammer and puntucation purist " in your first sentence?"

I assumed that was a test. Lol

allegretto Sun 23-Oct-16 17:51:27

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

grin

Eolian Sun 23-Oct-16 17:52:10

gringrin at a grammar purist not being able to spell 'grammar'. Anyway, how can you claim to be a purist while admitting that you 'don't always know the correct way'.

MaryField Sun 23-Oct-16 17:52:36

I love the first line 'Selfridges have revealed its Christmas window displays...' Where are the proofreaders?

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 17:52:57

OP:
When you say "post 16 college", do you mean a sixth form college or a further education college?

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 17:53:34

The item appeared in something called Prima. Figures...

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Sun 23-Oct-16 17:55:11

She didn't say she was a spelling purist to be fair.

YANBU OP. Proofreading shouldn't be too hard.

WyldFyre Sun 23-Oct-16 17:56:43

"Where are the proofreaders?"

Most media outlets haven't had them for at least a decade - I symptom of a society which wants to consume news but doesn't want to pay for it.

Fintress Sun 23-Oct-16 17:57:02

I hope you proof read your own work before handing out to students 😂

SooBee61 Sun 23-Oct-16 17:57:04

Poppy

I wasn't sure if it was done deliberately but urred on the side of corshion!

But what about "no wonder if they read it articles....." ?

jellycat1 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:45:37

Totally agree. It's really not that difficult!

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 18:46:15

"But what about "no wonder if they read it articles....." ?"

Spotted that one. Haha
In addition, at least one coma woodnt go amis.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sun 23-Oct-16 18:47:46

The college has got to be a further ed one...

alltouchedout Sun 23-Oct-16 18:57:37

I know I make loads and loads of mistakes of my own (especially on here because I don't properly check before I post) but when I see errors in print it really bugs me. There's a sign up at work which has a glaring apostrophe error and every time I see it i get very annoyed. I fantasise about correcting it blush

Catsize Sun 23-Oct-16 22:26:13

At the very least, it should be post-16.

Catsize Sun 23-Oct-16 22:27:05

Oh, sorry OP, YANBU. wink

Liiinoo Sun 23-Oct-16 22:47:53

Speaking as a grammar pedant AND a person whose family name contains an apostrophe, I still sometimes get confused about correct usage.

But one thing I am reasonably sure of is that shop names that stem from the owners name should have an apostrophe. So Boots/Boots's originally belonged to Jesse Boot. Selfridges (or more correctly Selfridge's ) originally belonged to H. G. Selfridge. Tesco is fine as it is as it was an amalgamation of two men's names defining a business rather than one name indicating ownership.

But grammar rules change as spoken language evolves. If it didn't we would all still speak in Neanderthal grunts and paint our thoughts in pictograms on cave walls.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 23-Oct-16 22:55:17

It's always extra funny when somebody like up to bemoan SPAG errors and makes one themselves. I've done it before anyone says anything grin

Davros Sun 23-Oct-16 23:43:37

I hate apostrophes in plurals angry.
On another subject, I had a post from Time Out on FB and it said "here here"!

MyBeloved Sun 23-Oct-16 23:54:18

I am an apostrophe purist and this has really wound me up - right before bed time! Gahhhh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now