To think David Cameron must feel extremely regretful

(52 Posts)
Silverthorne Sun 23-Oct-16 17:18:57

Discussion with the in laws over Sunday lunch.
Me: Cameron must be mortified that he called the Brexit referendum to silence the right wing Eurosceptics in the Tory party.
Inlaws: nooooo! He is a man of principle and he did what he believed was right.

I cannot believe anyone other than my crazy inlaws thinks Cameron was wise.

VladmirsPoutine Sun 23-Oct-16 17:29:13

They are equally allowed an opinion as you are. I don't personally agree with Cameron's policies but do not brand those who do as 'crazy'.

Bluesrunthegame Sun 23-Oct-16 18:15:43

I hope he regrets what he's done, but as he and his wife are wealthy enough for it not to affect them, he probably doesn't care.

TaterTots Sun 23-Oct-16 18:20:38

He wanted to create a legacy for himself and he has. Unfortunately it wasn't the one he wanted - and he's fucked the country in the process.

KidLorneRoll Sun 23-Oct-16 18:22:05

I imagine he doesn't give a shit, otherwise he wouldn't have run away from his mess like a fucking coward.

It's not like he is going to suffer from it.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 23-Oct-16 18:22:51

'Man of principle'? <snort>

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:23:28

I hope he feels like a tit but he probably believes his own spin.

aprilanne Sun 23-Oct-16 18:25:07

i personally dont think brexit will happen for a long time if attall .everyone is panicking about whats to happen next they just never thought it would happen but if they give people a vote they will use it .if we do go out we will survive it will just take time to adjust

user1471545174 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:27:15

I liked him but the referendum was a mistake (or should at least have had a third option).

I expect he's at the regretting it but pretending not to stage, and will be cheered when he gets another big role.

I don't think he ever imagined staying on if the vote went against him. He would really be struggling with Brexit now.

VladmirsPoutine Sun 23-Oct-16 18:27:51

That said, I am a bit hmm at a friend of mine that voted to leave just 'to see what would happen'.

Shallishanti Sun 23-Oct-16 18:28:18

not regretful, no
embarassed perhaps (if he has any integrity, which I highly doubt)
Your ILs are not crazy just naive and maybe read the wrong newspapers

Sparklesilverglitter Sun 23-Oct-16 18:28:33

In his big house with lots of money Do you think he really cares?

Your in laws are not "crazy " to disagree with what your think.

Pettywoman Sun 23-Oct-16 18:28:57

It was a catastrophic misjudgment. His legacy will be that and pig fucking.

Eatthecake Sun 23-Oct-16 18:31:22

Like he gives a fuck? He's still got his big house, and mountains of money

Your in laws are not crazy because they don't agree with you.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sun 23-Oct-16 18:33:26

Absolutely, he can afford not to give a shit. It's everyone else that has to put up with the fall-out.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 23-Oct-16 18:33:54

He called it to gather votes during the election and didn't expect to win outright then had to deliver.

I imagine would hope he has sleepless nights when recalling his time at No 10.

Silverthorne Sun 23-Oct-16 18:34:38

Well my inlaws are crazy in lots of ways. I promise!

motherinferior Sun 23-Oct-16 18:38:26

I like to think of David Cameron being regretful. It is a cheering fantasy.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 23-Oct-16 18:41:20

Don't forget after he resigned he said he wanted a peerage and a seat in the Lords' so having managed to run a Conservative govt for 13 months, causing chaos and then running away he still thinks he deserves a job for life...

breadwitch Sun 23-Oct-16 18:42:30

Serves him right, the worst PM in history just after MT.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 23-Oct-16 18:44:07

He bloody well should regret it, colossal misjudgement. If he had to go with a referendum, what 'leave' meant should have been made clear. Probably what he should have done was to have a vote of tory mps and/or the party members to decide if the party would at the next election have a manifesto commitment to stay(and work to reform from within) or leave (and then decide policy).

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 23-Oct-16 18:47:05

He should have stayed out of the campaign and appointed an official remain campaign as well as a leave.

Mishaps Sun 23-Oct-16 18:47:30

He also promised that whatever the outcome of this ill-considered and inappropriate referendum he would stay to see it through! What a joke!

I doubt he gives a shit.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 23-Oct-16 18:53:38

He's a psychopath; I doubt he gives a flying fuck about any of it. To quote Nish Kumar, "he could machine-gun a lifeboat and maintain a resting heart rate..."

user1471448556 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:54:28

I think he regrets it. He's divided the country and opened up Pandora's box. It'll never be the same again regardless of whether we actually leave or not. I've abandoned any affiliation to a particular political party. From now on I will only vote for a pro EU anti Brexit MP. I was so proud to be part of a vibrant, thriving, multi-cultural Britain - but that's gone now, thanks to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now