Talk

Advanced search

To rehome kittens because of fleas and new baby?

(95 Posts)
Roonster87 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:53:55

Our 2 kittens are 6 months old and I took them to be neutered in the week and to my surprise was told they have fleas (they're indoor pets).

Bought the vet recommend Advocate treatment and spent yesterday and today hoovering the house within an inch of its life, and hot washing what we can...but looking online it looks like fleas are a bastard to get rid of, and I'm getting worked up about it.

Not sure whether I'm just being extra sensitive and worrying over nothing because I'm pregnant and I've had the little flea bastards on my clothes today and got me itching like mad. But, AIBU to consider getting my kittens rehomed due to our new baby coming in the next 4 months?

I know fleas aren't going to be a problem forever, I just don't know how persistent the flea buggers are going to be to get rid of and not sure how much of an extra stress it will be once baby is here. I love my kitties but can't bare the thought of fleas biting my new baby.

AIBU? Not sure whether my concerns are justified, or if I need have a word with myself and chill the fuck out. blush

ifyoulikepinacolada Sun 23-Oct-16 16:56:00

Yabu. Why can't you just preemptively treat them monthly like everyone else does?

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 23-Oct-16 16:57:28

Have a word with yourself and chill the fuck out. grin

Seriously though - get a household flea spray, lots of hoovering and they'll be gone before you no it. Make sure you keep up to date with the flea treatment (although to be honest I de-flea my indoor boy every couple of months rather than every month).

winkywinkola Sun 23-Oct-16 16:57:35

Yes. Chill out.

Fleas can be got rid of. Be careful with your touching the treatment being pg and everything.

If this stuff your vet has recommended doesn't work, then ask for another brand. There are loads of really powerful treatments out there.

Aren't your kittens too young to be neutered/spayed just yet?

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Sun 23-Oct-16 16:57:39

Advocate regularly will ensure that the kittens are frankly walking flea killers. For the house you're now on a daily hoovering diet, combined with weekly spraying of soft furnishings with Indorex (for at least 4 weeks). I also recommend wilkos flea powers on the carpets once a week.

Keep it up and the fleas shouldn't return.

We had fleas when DD was a month old. It was an arse but easy enough to deal with.

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:57:45

I would rehome them. Flea treatment is basic stuff, maybe you are not cut out to be a pet owner.

SleepyHare Sun 23-Oct-16 16:58:22

YABU.
Treat the kittens, get some indorex and treat the house. Prob get someone else to do it with you being pregnant and keep kitten out of the way too.

Treat it every 12 weeks even if no sign of fleas and you shouldn't see them again.

You surely knew fleas were a possibility when you got a kitten?

My two are indoor cats and they've somehow managed to get fleas before but we got rid by doing the above.

Candlelight123 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:58:25

Fleas are more prevalent in spring / summer so is it possible they've had them a bit? TBH our 12 yr old cat has only had fleas twice, once just after we got him, so he must have come with them, the last time I caught them early and didn't turn into a big problem. You can buy monthly treatments for the cats that should prevent the cats from catching fleas.

Soubriquet Sun 23-Oct-16 16:58:34

Flea them every month and you won't have a problem

Winegumaddict Sun 23-Oct-16 16:58:40

Yes YABU! You cannot re-home a pet due to fleas. Treat the current infestation then give them a preventative treatment as often as required (I don't know how often cats need to be treated as I have dogs).

Arfarfanarf Sun 23-Oct-16 16:58:50

With fleas what you need is preventative action.
If you wait until they're covered youve left it too late.
They need a monthly treatment.

There's a spray you can get. I think it's called indorex. For the carpets.
If you keep on top of it you dont have a problem.

Because you havent done anything for six months - you've got a problem.

If you rehome your kittens the fleas will have a good go at feasting on you. You need to treat the home too.

If you treat the kittens and the home you dont need to rehome.

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 16:59:02

You took on two kittens 6 months ago. You want rid already? Cats can live for 20 years you know? They can get fleas and need worming treatment vomit and even have the shits. Do you really want them at all?
Indorex the house and advocate monthly. Or rehome whilst they are still kitten like and more likely to be appealing. Poor kitties.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 23-Oct-16 16:59:05

WTF?

Are you just looking for an excuse to get rid of the kittens now you are having a baybee?
Why not just flea treat like every other responsible owner?

Vixxfacee Sun 23-Oct-16 17:00:02

I thought most people give them pets a flesh treatment regularly to prevent..

PuppyMonkey Sun 23-Oct-16 17:01:20

Try Wilko flea spray for the house - tis excellent.

Also, winter is coming..

LivingInMidnight Sun 23-Oct-16 17:02:09

I'm guessing you haven't wormed them either.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 23-Oct-16 17:02:27

YAB very U and clearly didn't think very hard about taking these kittens in. Potential fleas is something that comes with cats, you do what you can to stop it (our have never had fleas thankfully) and treat them when it does happen. Kids can also get sick as well you know, if baby gets a bug will you rehome them so they don't pass it on to you?

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 23-Oct-16 17:03:02

Seriously?

TheCatsWhiskers Sun 23-Oct-16 17:03:12

Why did you not take preventative action?

You sound a bit precious. If this is the way you are going to act you may be better to have them rehomed now while they are still young. Harder to rehome cats over a yearly old.

I do wonder why some people get pets if the slightest thing causes them to want to get rid of them.

Just have the house fumigated if you need to, and then start acting like a responsible pet owner.

RueDeDay Sun 23-Oct-16 17:03:39

hmm

If your cats have already got fleas then you get rid of the cats, all you're left with are the fleas. Get the new 3 month flea treatments, the cats will kill the fleas for you.

alltouchedout Sun 23-Oct-16 17:05:08

Fleas can be a bastard to get rid of, but they can also be dealt with pretty straightforwardly and as it's getting colder chances are that hoovering very thoroughly and using decent spray will do fine.
That said, if you don't think you want to look after kittens and a baby, I don't personally think yabu. Cat lovers who get on their almighty high horse whenever someone raises rehoming pets make me confused- surely it's better for cats to be in a house where they are genuinely wanted and appreciated than one in which they are barely tolerated? Our older girl came to us aged 4 when her family had a baby who appeared to be allergic to her. She settled in very well and is a happy thing. I can't see why her coming to us, who wanted her, was worse than her staying with her first family, who wanted rid.

SleepyHare Sun 23-Oct-16 17:06:21

It's not the re homing as such, it's getting the cat in the first place without putting any consideration in to it!

SpecialStains Sun 23-Oct-16 17:07:45

I've always done a monthly spot on with the cat (previously indoors). Flea eggs can come from anywhere (shoes, clothes etc) and infect the cat so I've always assumed it's the sensible thing to do.

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 17:08:04

I suspect these fleas WILL be a bastard for the OP to get rid of. Given the kitties are 6 months old and are indoor pets it's safe to assume they came with fleas on board. So, potentially 4 months worth of egg laying deep into the carpet. Could take months to get rid given the cycle.

Soubriquet Sun 23-Oct-16 17:08:17

Heads up.

You get rid of the kittens, you will have a hard job getting rid of the fleas

You will find when it warms up, the fleas will reappear and you will be their food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now