Aibu to ask my neighbour to move his car?

(10 Posts)
Theonlywayis Sun 23-Oct-16 16:00:48

So we live on an unadopted Road which means the council doesn't maintain it and each house owns the road in front of it to the centre of the road and is responsible for maintaining.
We have a driveway and one car which we obviously park on the driveway. Next door neighbour has no drive and 3 cars. Our houses are around 2 cars wide or just under so neighbour usually parks 3Rd car in front of our house but without blocking our drive. No problem since we only have 1 car, but we have friends staying this week and I would like them to be able to park there. Dh says that aibu and that friends could park in front of our drive a just move their car if I need to get out. I think that's a pain. WWYD?
Tbf neighbour is generally reasonable. There is usually other spaces on the road but not always...
Should I just ask him?

fluffywhitekittens Sun 23-Oct-16 16:06:31

I'd ask. It's only for a week.

Pinkcadillac Sun 23-Oct-16 16:07:23

I'd ask him only as a favour and if there are spaces nearby. But then if there are spaces nearby maybe your friends can park there

PotteringAlong Sun 23-Oct-16 16:07:59

I'd leave it. You're making a difficulty where there is none. Your friend just parks elsewhere, surely?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sun 23-Oct-16 16:09:29

Omg leave it.seriously just let your friends park over your drive and get a bloody griphmm

intricatedispostion Sun 23-Oct-16 16:16:29

I think they abu parking their car outside your house anyway. I would park my car outside my house and then let friends park on my drive.

I have a neighbour who lives opposite who parks his car opposite my drive so it is really awkward to reverse out of my house. If he would park over his own drive it would be so much better.

I do get upset by minor parking misdemeanours though. wink

Theonlywayis Sun 23-Oct-16 16:28:10

Pink I would certainly phrase it as a favour. I'm not generally the type to go shouting demands grin
Think I might be getting a bit cross about it bc I sort of think that since we pay for that part of the road we should be able to use it when we need it which isn't often. Tbf he'd probably just agree anyway and I'm getting cross about nothing. They barely drive the 3Rd car anyway since there are only 2 adults that live there. Don't want to be a twat for no reason though. Friends COULD just park in front of our drive...

clam Sun 23-Oct-16 16:34:44

Hmm, you see, normally people shout about how it's a public road and that therefore people can park where they like. However, yours is not a public road, so this is different.

If you're getting angsty about it, ask if they'd mind. It might serve the dual purpose of reminding them that it's technically yours.

limitedperiodonly Sun 23-Oct-16 16:49:49

Unless you are an emergency services driver I'd get visitors to park across the drive. Or maybe I'd get them to park on the drive and I'd park across.

I do understand why you've posted. I often get worked up by things which on reflection, aren't that big a deal. If he's generally okay, I think you should leave it. smile

Theonlywayis Sun 23-Oct-16 16:52:34

Haha intricate you reminded me of a story -I have a friend who is known for not being the safest driver - who likes to reverse off her drive across the road up the drive opposite to turn the car around. One day the neighbours had the cheek to have their car on their own drive so obviously it was their fault when she reversed into them! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now