Talk

Advanced search

Birthday party situation

(8 Posts)
kidssmilesarethebest Sun 23-Oct-16 11:54:43

Hi, I'm posting here for traffic as this more of a WWYD really.

I took my DS to a 5yo birthday party yesterday. The birthday boy was a school child from school and the whole class was invited.

There was a huge bouncy castle up for the kids and they were all extremely excited playing on it.
To give you an idea of the level of excitement the children were all bouncing and bumping around on each other and a few came out crying out of it at some point, but after calming down were happy to go back and play more. DS also came out crying (one child seated on his head!) and after a few cuddles was happily back playing in the castle 5 minutes later.

When the children were invited to seat and eat the party food, DS wasn't sure about choosing a place so was walking around the table to find one. When he seemed to find one and I was pulling the chair for him to seat one daddy came to me and said that DS was pushing his son on the bouncing castle and if he was to seat on that place (which happened to be next to his child) he would move his son to another place. I was so shocked I had no reaction and just said he wasn't seating there and asked DS to chose another place. From that point on I told DS to keep his distance from that boy the rest of the party.

A little of background: the boy who the father was so protective is being difficult at school (annoying other children and the teacher keeps talking to his daddy very offer at pick up time to report bad behaviour from him. (DS told me a few times at home that he doesn't like to play with that boy because he is silly and not a good friend.)

Anyway, I'm still gutted with his daddy attitude at the party. They are all kids and were all happily playing for god's sake.

I'm a bit lost about what to do and seriously thinking on telling my son to keep his distance from that boy permanently.

WWYD?

myownprivateidaho Sun 23-Oct-16 11:59:42

I guess you should get your DS to apologise, if you didn't already. No, of course, don't tell him to keep his distance permanently! The dad handled the situation very badly, but no need to exacerbate it.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 23-Oct-16 12:00:18

Forget about the incident at the party and report any concerns about things that happen in school to the school.

I wouldn't tell your son to stay away as that could be perceived as bullying or could backfire on your son, it sounds like he will naturally stay away from him anyway.

I would have let the guy move his son in the party situation, be prepared next time, I understand this time was a shock.

haveacupoftea Sun 23-Oct-16 12:01:40

Isolating the child because of an overbearing father seems rather harsh. Theres nothing really to do at this stage except let it go.

WhisperingLoudly Sun 23-Oct-16 12:05:41

The dad handled it badly - I find this often happens a lot with parents that are the secondary carer Yes I appreciate that this is a huge assumption they just don't get common social norms re children i.e. Kids will be kids and unless they're doing something dangerous/vindictive/spiteful it's not worth the drama to intervene on every occasion.

Don't tell your DC to avoid the child permanently though.

HaveNoSocks Sun 23-Oct-16 12:07:34

Definitely don't tell your son to keep away, if your son doesn't like him they won't be friends anyway - if they make up and become friendly later that's fine too. Perhaps the little boy has social issues which makes the dad extra sensitive or perhaps the dad is just a PITA, either way it's definitely better to just let it go.

Aeroflotgirl Sun 23-Oct-16 12:11:19

That dad sounds like a permanent Pita, get dsto spouse to the boy and forget him.

kidssmilesarethebest Sun 23-Oct-16 13:46:08

Thank you very much, ladies!!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now