Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To wonder when people say they never leave their dogs....

(53 Posts)
Fargesia Sun 23-Oct-16 09:45:43

unattended with their DC, how this is even possible when said dog lives in the family home? Surely it is impossible to guarantee that you are always closely supervising. I can't imagine that people take the dog or child with them every time they go to another part of the house to do something. I assume that it is something dog owners just say without it really being true.

alloutofnameideas Sun 23-Oct-16 09:47:32

I do leave my dog unattended with the children but only if she's fast asleep. If she's awake she is like my shadow and follows me everywhere, even waiting outside the bathroom door for me.
Actually saying that the children are exactly the same. I tend to get followed by all 5 children AND the dog!!

JustCallMeKate Sun 23-Oct-16 09:53:25

DDogs went to work with DH every day, when he came in at night there was alsways one of us with the children. At bedtime they went in the kitchen unlike now as they sleep on our bed

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 23-Oct-16 09:53:50

I have only recently started leaving our dog unattended with my oldest (who is 7 and sensible), for short periods. It was a case of simply taking the dog with me if I left the room - not difficult with a well trained dog. The dogs bed (crate where the children are not allowed to go) is in the kitchen so if she was sleeping it was there mostly at which point I just closed the door if I left. I genuinely don't see what is so difficult about keeping dogs and children separate.

idontlikealdi Sun 23-Oct-16 09:54:14

When the kids were little I would pop the dog in the kitchen with a babygate if I needed to go upstairs or in the garden to hang washing etc.

Mishegoss Sun 23-Oct-16 09:55:34

No I really never leave them unattended. If I go to the toilet my kids tend to stalk me there or I pop the dog in her crate or in the garden.. they're never alone for any length of time at all. I don't trust children and dogs unsupervised together for any length of time and it's worth a bit of faffing to make sure they aren't.

NoIsAnAnswer Sun 23-Oct-16 09:58:18

What's the point of this thread?

DoubleCarrick Sun 23-Oct-16 09:59:11

I'm reading this with interest. Baby due soon and wouldn't want to leave my dog unattended with baby. His got arthritis which sometimes makes him grumpy. The dog will be easy, he'll just follow me when I tell him to grin training the baby will be another matter entirely

BigGreenOlives Sun 23-Oct-16 10:00:50

The dog we had when the children were little was a Velcro dog & never left my side. If he fell asleep and I wasn't there when he woke up he'd bark. not very well trained to be honest

NoCapes Sun 23-Oct-16 10:03:20

I never leave her unsupervised with the baby, but obviously I wouldn't leave the baby alone anyway so if I was going to a different part of the house I just take him with me
I do leave her alone with the 5 & 7 year olds though, it would be madness to carry her everywhere with me just because the kids were playing with toys in the adjoining room

Babblehag Sun 23-Oct-16 10:04:40

I have canine followers, my puppy goes where I or dp go. And recently been looking after friends dog who sticks to my heel like glue, my youngest dc is 8 and much harder to train if i'm honest.

HoleyMoley2016 Sun 23-Oct-16 10:06:02

I do leave the dog unsupervised with the kids but not when they are crawling or toddlers. The dog, who is a rescue, is in his eighth baby without incident. He's 60kg of wonderful and he's a guarding breed. But I've been training dogs since I was a child and our kids am confident in my ability to judge a dog.

dontpokethebear Sun 23-Oct-16 10:10:04

This is refreshing to read. My FB feed is full of 'I'd trust my dog with my babies life' type comments hmm

PinkyOfPie Sun 23-Oct-16 10:10:59

I knew a couple who had a dog that wasn't denagerous, but when they had their first child they were worried about germs etc so the poor dog spent the next 11 years in the utility room with food, was taken out twice a day for a walk and never let in the main house. The 3 Kids weren't allowed in the utility room, they barely clapped eyes on the poor creature. Dog died aged 13.

So I guess it's possible. They apparently loved the dog too much to get rid of him hmm I understand completely being cautious with kids, and not letting the dog upstairs or where there's carpets etc, but to refine a dog to a 7ft x 7ft space it's entire life is fucking cruel if you ask me!

yesterdaysunshine Sun 23-Oct-16 10:13:37

I get followed by dogs and kids too!

Our dog is only little and is more of a trip risk.

It isn't something I worry about. We've always had very gentle placid breeds.

2legit2knit Sun 23-Oct-16 10:18:03

Dog goes in a separate room when Im not there, not that difficult! Not sure why you think it would be?

Dionysuss Sun 23-Oct-16 10:19:22

When DC were small we had baby gates to keep the dog separate, but we rarely had to use them. She spends most quiet times asleep upstairs or people watching out the window in the office where DC are now allowed to go. If we were in the kitchen the dog would be there like a shadow waiting for us to drop food. We mostly would just have called the dog to come with if we didn't want to disrupt DC from something they were engrossed with. Even now she still follows me to the loo unasked.

yesterdaysunshine Sun 23-Oct-16 10:19:50

It's not difficult but I know what OP means. I wander regularly from kitchen to lounge to dining area to garden to bedroom to the toilet to the bedroom to DDs bedroom and I don't always shut my dog away or take DD with me!

SuperManStoleMyPants Sun 23-Oct-16 10:24:04

Always used a puppy pen, crate, baby gates and dpup came upstairs/to the toilet with me. He was a velcro pup so it was easier to have him tail me than convince a child.

WaitrosePigeon Sun 23-Oct-16 10:25:04

The point of the thread is cause an argument, is my guess.

SpringerS Sun 23-Oct-16 10:28:17

I leave my dogs in the kitchen during the day and close the door. If I'm not in the kitchen, DS isn't in the kitchen. Tbh, I have zero worries about DS and my dogs, they are exceptionally chilled out and tolerant of him. My parents' dog is a different matter. He's a lovely dog but very nervous due to a bad start in life and he never, ever relaxes around my DS. Last week we were getting ready to leave my parents' house and DS tripped and fell on him. I'm so glad I was standing there and could whip DS straight off him as he fell in a way that he couldn't get up and the dog was clearly panicking. If I hadn't been with them, I believe it's a possibility that the dog would have bitten him in the confusion.

gettingtherequickly Sun 23-Oct-16 10:29:49

Not had an issue with our kids, but they were 13 & 15 when we got our first dog. I would never leave them alone with a small child, and muzzle them if we have friends with small children to stay even if there are adults in the room, (they are greys so used to muzzles).

yesterdaysunshine Sun 23-Oct-16 10:32:36

Blimey getting, really? Why? Have they bitten in the past?

tabulahrasa Sun 23-Oct-16 10:35:27

It's dead easy, you just call the dog when you leave the room and they run after you...if they weren't following you already that is.

6demandingchildren Sun 23-Oct-16 10:44:54

We have 3 dogs in a small house. I leave the dogs with the kids but I have always told the children not to treat the dogs as toys. And when our granddaughter visits the dogs go in the garden for a short time then when they are calmer they come back in and the only reason we wouldn't leave her with the dogs is because she is tiny and can be knocked over and that our German shepard wants to groom her like he does to the cats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now