Talk

Advanced search

To get sterilised

(15 Posts)
worriedabouthimagain Sat 22-Oct-16 21:35:36

Background info
Am 25 with two kids dd3 and ds8m
I am currently on the implant which is pretty horrible tbh. DS has laryngomalacia and a laryngeal cleft it's been hard and stressful and frankly I can't believe I didn't lose my mind during the hard times. It nearly broke my marriage. Things are better now. I suffered a miscarriage at 7 wks a few months back. With my son and miscarriage the thought of pregnancy fills me with dread even without them I'd wouldn't want one again two seems to be my limit stress wise. I know I am young but in a way I want the option to be gone as I know one day I might want one again and I'd tell my self it will be fine which is something I don't want to happen. Is there even any point in going to the doctors ? Will it be a firm no ?

MsJamieFraser Sat 22-Oct-16 21:40:34

I don't think they will give it to you based on your age. There is another other methods of contraception without resorting to surgery.

Trifleorbust Sat 22-Oct-16 21:41:18

They probably will say no, but I think they would be in the wrong.

Sassypants82 Sat 22-Oct-16 21:45:52

What about the copper coil? It's safe long term, no hormones & you can get pregnant immediately after having it out if you decide to have another. There are other options less drastic than sterilisation.

Tarla Sat 22-Oct-16 21:45:58

They will probably try and put you off the idea due to your age, however a friend of mine who is 27 has an appointment to get it done as she was damage she wanted it. You can insist on being referred to the hospital even if the GP thinks you shouldn't have it done.

worriedabouthimagain Sat 22-Oct-16 21:46:24

But the implant was last one I haven't tried the rest gave been awful . I can't bleed every day til I hit menopause.

AnguaResurgam Sat 22-Oct-16 21:47:12

It may well be a 'no' on NHS, as they are not usually prepared to remove the fertility of either sex before the age of 30 or so.

But yes, it's worth going, and going again periodically and one day they will refer you.

And at the same time, you could see if you can afford to get it done privately, or start saving for it.

Also, see if it might be worth swopping implant for mirena. The hormones are different, and might suit you better. Mirena lasts 5 years. So you might find greater willingness to refer you for surgery when it expires and you are 30.

Homebird90 Sat 22-Oct-16 21:48:27

I was given the green light at 29 years old after having 1 child. No problems.

Tarla Sat 22-Oct-16 21:52:33

DH is going to get snipped after this pregnancy. He asked for it to be done after we had DC3 and they said no, he says he's not taking no for an answer this time and will be insisting on a referral.

The GP didn't want to refer him last time because she said that modern contraceptives are more reliable than sterilisation however I can't take hormonal contraception and my uterus is too damaged (heavy scarring) for me to be happy with getting a coil fitted.

Sterilisation might be drastic but if it's what you want, it's what you want.

Fedup82 Sat 22-Oct-16 21:52:38

I managed to get sterlized at 29 but it was a real struggle and even the day i had it done the dr was pretty against it. When i got home that night i got a call from my dr saying they had changed their mind. So i cant see them letting you as their are alot of other options also they say that most people regret it or cant cope with the finality of it. I lukily havent found this

FoddyWaddle Sat 22-Oct-16 21:55:29

I was sterilised at 23 but i have 4 DC, my GP supported me. I didn't have to fight or argue and found the process very simple. A couple of my friends have also been sterilised under 25.

stokiemum62 Sat 22-Oct-16 21:58:36

Age doesn't come in to it. The faculty of family planning guidelines which both your GP and any gynaecologist you are referred to follow are clear that age is not a factor. What you must be is certain that your family is complete, reversal is not funded by the NHS , so if you change your mind later your only chance of a another pregnancy would be privately funded IVF.

Nurszilla Sat 22-Oct-16 22:01:19

My friend was sterilised at 25 after 4 DC. Took a lot of persistence though.

worriedabouthimagain Sat 22-Oct-16 22:06:30

A lot of good answers here if it's any help I'd be going to the royal infirmary edinburgh to get it done. The only people I know are family and they were a lot older.

worriedabouthimagain Sat 22-Oct-16 22:07:22

In the future ivf would be an option if we wanted it aswell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now