Talk

Advanced search

To be driven potty by the accents in Corrie?

(45 Posts)
LikeDylanInTheMovies Sat 22-Oct-16 18:18:31

Characters who have supposedly lived all their lives in a Manchester suburb have a weird and wonderful array of accentsspread acoss an 80 mile radius.

Ken , Nick and Peter have pronounced East Midlands accents, Liz McDonald and David Platt have Leeds accents. David even uses Leeds colloquialisms like 'us' for 'our' .

I realise that this is not the most far fetched aspect of Corrie, but it really rips my knitting. It seems like whoever casts characters think there's some generic northern English accent.

Nottingham to Manchester is roughly the same distance from Ipswich to London, but I doubt they'd try and pass off someone with a strong Ipswich accent as a dyed in the wool lifelong Eastender.

MyGiddyUncle Sat 22-Oct-16 18:25:18

It seems like whoever casts characters think there's some generic northern English accent

Well I hate to say it but - I can't really tell the difference between any of their accents. To me (from S Wales), they do just sound 'a bit North'. If you're not from that area, you'd probably not recognise the difference (or not enough to bother you) which is probably why the producers don't care.

The only accent on Corrie that I remember being different was Lloyd but he was very obviously from a different area.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sat 22-Oct-16 18:28:48

I'm not from the North West of England either. I grew up in the English Midlands (perhaps that's why I pick up on the Notts accents) and have lived in Scotland for many years. But it sets my teeth on edge!

NuggetofPurestGreen Sat 22-Oct-16 18:31:26

I'm not even from the UK and I have noticed the differences. David sounds totally different from the rest of his family as does Nick - Nick's accent has annoyed me for years he sounds really posh compared to everyone else on the street. Also have noticed Peter's. Although he didn't grow up in Manchester, did he?

YANBU!

yesterdaysunshine Sat 22-Oct-16 18:32:22

Hollyoaks is the worst where they have entire families with different accents grin

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 18:32:30

Agree, David Platt sounds like he's wandered in from Emmerdale. His "barebee" (can't work out how to describe that) has become how we all say it now.

MadHattersWineParty Sat 22-Oct-16 18:32:32

Bethany kept a lovely soft Northern burr despite growing in in Milan grin

MadHattersWineParty Sat 22-Oct-16 18:32:44

*up

NuggetofPurestGreen Sat 22-Oct-16 18:34:02

Peter's accent should be Scottish shouldn't it.

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 22-Oct-16 18:34:36

I'm from NI and I can tell the differences! It's very obvious. I find it quite funny. grin

PNGirl Sat 22-Oct-16 18:34:37

I don't watch any more but years ago David and Liz annoyed me too. I'm from Bradford (so pretty much a Leeds accent) and sound nothing like a Mancunian!

previously1474907171 Sat 22-Oct-16 18:36:32

Some of them sound Liverpudlian to me, Pat Phelan for one.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sat 22-Oct-16 18:37:28

He is supposed to be from Liverpool though previously I remember someone on the show referring to him as that 'baldy scouser'

BowieFan Sat 22-Oct-16 18:42:58

Yep, having lived in the North for all my life (well nearly) and working in Manchester for 10 years, I can tell you there's a definite range of accents going on! I mean, it doesn't bother me but I don't think any of them outside of the one who plays Eva and her boyfriend sound like they're actually from Manchester (probably because those two actually are)

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 18:44:44

Pat Phelan is from Liverpool

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 18:46:25

I mean, people do move to Manchester, obviously. But, it's the lack of logic about mixed accents within families who have never lived anywhere but Weatherfield.

Corialanusburt Sat 22-Oct-16 18:48:36

I think our acceptance of it is a hangover from when Coronation St was first made. At the time it was a novelty to see northern characters with northern accents for people from other parts the country. We suspended our disbelief then and do so now.

Corialanusburt Sat 22-Oct-16 18:50:55

And a a Salford accent is different to a Manchester one.
Funnily, despite coming from all over the north, quite a few Corrie actors live in and around Salford.

ClopySow Sat 22-Oct-16 18:52:29

Michelle collins bad accent infuriated me.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sat 22-Oct-16 18:56:04

Yes it was atrocious. Given that she could have moved from the south before she met Les Battersby, I don't understand why she couldn't have spoken with her own accent, rather the absurd one she attempted.

MyGiddyUncle Sat 22-Oct-16 18:57:10

Bethany kept a lovely soft Northern burr despite growing in in Milan

Now that I did notice! Wasn't she a toddler when they moved? Really young anyhow.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Sat 22-Oct-16 18:58:30

Anyone calling themselves a 'casting agent' that gives the actress playing Caz a job has more issues than getting accents right. grin

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 22-Oct-16 19:07:22

Isn't Kevin Webster's accent Mancunian?

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 22-Oct-16 19:09:47

As an aside, I remember my dad telling me when I was quite young that a person from Manchester was called a Mancunian and I thought he was winding me up. I thought it far too ridiculous to be true. Then he told me about Liverpudlians and I almost died with laughing. Then we got on to New Zealand! grin

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sat 22-Oct-16 19:37:39

Bethany kept a lovely soft Northern burr despite growing in in Milan

But what accent would she speak English with, given that she would be speaking English almost exclusively with her mother who has a Mancunian accent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now