to not have oven gloves or tea towels that match the kitchen

(113 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:31:11

Well to sone extent they match - old and a bit tatty, like the kitchen.
But it never occurred to me that even when we replace the kitchen we'd get oven gloves and tea towels to match. I've just discovered this is a thing, thanks to mn.

SirChenjin Sat 22-Oct-16 17:32:51

You are being more unreasonable than all the other AIBU put together and timesed infinity shock

I hope that you at least have the decency to keep them hidden away?

Bruce02 Sat 22-Oct-16 17:32:57

We don't. Mum usually buys us some occasionally, i dint regift them grin .I don't even remember the last time I bought them.

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:13

Sorry sir, I'll hand my mn badge in on the way out

Boundaries Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:19

There's a MIL on here who could regift some to you...

JosephineMaynard Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:25

Hang on a minute ...... you're seriously telling me that there's people out there who insist on coordinating their oven gloves and tea towels to match their kitchen????? confused confused confused

BarbaraofSeville Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:36

Well our oven gloves are grey, as are the kitchen cabinets, but that's entirely coincidental.

The tea towels are all different colours, because they came from a Costco multipack, and as we have a dishwasher, so only get very light usage, are likely to outlast us.

People deliberately match these things? confused.

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:56

Bruce surely you must have some though? We couldn't manage without (esp tea towels!!) But don't really care how they look

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 22-Oct-16 17:36:35

Now, this really is the giddy limit. Non matching linens? Tsk.

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:36:49

I believe so

And we don't really need to keep them hidden away...as I said they go well with the kitchen in some ways smile

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:38:39

The ultimate in shabby chic. Emphasis on the shabby.
actually that's the posh tea towel.

MrsJayy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:38:48

My sister has moved into a new flat everything is all lovely and matchy and she almost had a heart attack when I went to dry my cup on a towel on a hook noo not that 1 .so not only do people have matchy matchy they have tea towels for "show" what's that about grin

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:27

Sorry thought it had attached

TroysMammy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:43

For goodness sake, pull yourself together. grin You must also have an apron and utensils to match too.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:57

Just seen the regifting MIL/matching oven gloves thread shock.

That's an exceptionally clever way of subtely letting your MIL know that you hate her, by giving her crappy household items as a Christmas gift. I wonder if there is a hirearchy?

Hate her a little bit - tea towels, really hate her guts, vacuum cleaner?

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:58

confused

Next you'll be saying that some people coordinate their toilet brushes with their bathrooms.

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:41:41

Troy in my head I'm still a student. Sorry.

MrsJayy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:42:20

My oven glove is black with white stripes my work tops are black so that's sort of matching right ?

TroysMammy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:43:02

MrsJayy I knew someone who found brand new Cath Kidston oven gloves in a charity shop which are not to be used, but purely for show confused.

pinkblink Sat 22-Oct-16 17:43:20

I don't even use an oven glove... folded over tea towel in this house confused il sit in the corner and hang my head in shame

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:44:19

In fairness I used to buy my mum oven gloves. I think she was always desperate for stuff for me to get her as a teenager that didn't cost too much so suggested them. And she liked the single ones and pre Internet they weren't easy to find.

MrsJayy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:45:24

Sister had an oven glove. Next to the show towel I don't think it's for use either

SirChenjin Sat 22-Oct-16 17:46:15

Yes, people deliberately match these things! What's the point in having a lovely co-ordinating kitchen and the hanging mismatched tell towels or oven gloves up? shock

I actually get quite twitchy when DH hangs the non- matching oven gloves over the oven door handle - I may actually kill him dead one of these days. It makes me feel calmer if things match.

StealthPolarBear Sat 22-Oct-16 17:47:17

<backs away slowly holding tea towel behind back>

frikadela01 Sat 22-Oct-16 17:47:51

Nothing in my kitchen matches never kind the teatowels... I wish I could say it had a shabby chic accidentally on purpose mismatch vibe but it doesn't. It has limited money take what we can get vibe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now