Talk

Advanced search

AIBU TMI... Worried!

(21 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Sat 22-Oct-16 17:29:52

Hi ladies

I started my first period yesterday since giving birth to DD 12 weeks ago! It is so heavy and I don't know whether I should be worried!
I'm soaking through the highest absorbency tampons and pads together!! I feel so weak and tired! Is this normal?! There's a few clots when I wipe too!

Sorry it's TMI but I don't know what's wrong or even if there's anything wrong! sad

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 22-Oct-16 17:31:07

I think, from memory, mine was pretty bad. There might be some residual lining left from before maybe.

Haggisfish Sat 22-Oct-16 17:31:24

I'd phone maternity unit. My periods are much heavier than before.

abbsismyhero Sat 22-Oct-16 17:32:53

Its been a couple of years since I gave birth but I remember it being heavier than usual but I also passed a piece of umbilical cord which had stayed in after my op when that was out it settled down

Boundaries Sat 22-Oct-16 17:34:06

My periods have been fucking awful since I stopped breastfeeding DS.

He's 5.

confused

LouBlue1507 Sat 22-Oct-16 17:35:48

Ah okay! Maybe it's just normal then! We don't get it easy do we ladies? envy

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 22-Oct-16 17:36:58

If it's any consolation, my periods have been generally better since having DD.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 22-Oct-16 17:38:51

Is there any sort of odour? How do you feel in yourself? If there is a bad smell to it, you feel ill or fuey or have a fever, get checked over. They are all indications of retained products. Also, if it carries on at this rate, get checked. It does sound a bit heavier than a usual period.

Me624 Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:59

DS is 7 months old and I only bfed for 2 weeks so my periods came back pretty much as soon as my lochia stopped. The first 3 were horrendous. Like you said, soaking a nighttime pad in an hour. I bought maternity pads again as it was so heavy. I leaked onto the sheets overnight blush

Gradually it has got lighter again and now they're ok. Not quite as light as they were pre-DS, but then I had exceptionally light periods before.

Babyiwantabump Sat 22-Oct-16 17:47:14

Retained products would have caused a problem way before 12 weeks.

My periods were the same after DS1. I found lillets extra super plus plus plus (the biggest they do) and a night time pad together the only thing that would last more than an hour or two. DS was 18 months when my periods returned.

I'm hoping after DS2 they will be lighter (please please please)

TheCommunalRibena Sat 22-Oct-16 17:47:41

That's how mine are after having kids.

I read somewhere that periods can be heavier when you have a prolapse. Which I have a little of.

On my 'heavy day' I sometimes can't go longer than 30 mins without flooding a super plus tampon and have to use maternity towels as well. I sit on the toilet and huge clots just fall out.

Fucking horrendous.

StrongTeaHotShower Sat 22-Oct-16 17:54:20

I was doing the whole period avoiding shebang, exclusively breastfeeding day and night, co sleeping etc and it still sodding well came back at 4 months. Heavy and horrible. If it's of any help they're far less painful post dd.

TheCommunalRibena Sat 22-Oct-16 17:58:59

Same here strong it's not fair is it? My exclusively breast first DC was 10 weeks old when they came back.

The had the good grace to stay away for 8 months with the next child.

ChasedByBees Sat 22-Oct-16 18:01:35

I remember this too once mine restarted. It was awful, for the first couple, it was like a flood and I had to be so careful with clothing. It has got better now DC is 5. I think it passed after about a year. Sorry.

StrongTeaHotShower Sat 22-Oct-16 18:06:03

It's so bloody unfair isn't it ribena!

NotYoda Sat 22-Oct-16 18:15:58

If it continues, get your iron levels checked. Take Floradix in the meantime

Heirhelp Sat 22-Oct-16 18:21:10

The general consensus with vaginally bleeding is if it soaks a pad within an hour then you need to medical help. If you are worried ring the maternity ward for advice.

Obsidian77 Sat 22-Oct-16 18:25:54

Is DD your first child? Your cervix never really closes up properly after you've given birth, stuff comes out faster if that makes sense. I've noticed my periods are heavier but shorter since having kids.
If you feel weak and tired, see your GP and get your iron levels checked.

crazywriter Sat 22-Oct-16 19:17:43

Mine was horrible for the first couple after DDs. I went through so many pads and tampons it was ridiculous. Just make sure thereshe no weird smell or any clotting.

Babyiwantabump Sat 22-Oct-16 23:33:16

I wouldn't contact maternity if your worried - you wouldn't be under their care any more 12 weeks on.

Contact the gynae ward instead if you feel you need to .

RedTitsMcGinty Sun 23-Oct-16 00:06:02

My first period post-birth was a fucking bloodbath. I had to use nappies as pads, I was losing so much blood. They settled down from about the third period onwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now