Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think I'm going to get burgled?

(4 Posts)
GeorgesDragon Sat 22-Oct-16 11:44:34

Just left for holiday, had to return as DH forgot a million things, when we got back to the house there was a teenager knocking the front door - DH stops car and asks if he can help the teen, he responds that he is enquiringly if we need the drive tarmacked to which DH responds 'no mate, we're just leaving for our holiday'.

I can expect to return to the scene of a burglary and weeks of dealing with insurance people can't I?

I have gone mad at DH. AIBU?!

Witchend Sat 22-Oct-16 12:22:19

Chances are that he was just a teen asking and he'll go back and say "No they don't want it."
However I understand you're worried, my df used to do the same.
I remember the holiday that we were just about to set off, full car etc when we got similar. Only thing was they were already working on a garage roof overlooking our property and df had already marked them out as "cowboys", and he thought they'd sent the young one round just to see if we really were all going.

So we went through df's idea to throw them off the scent. So we got in the car and made a big show of saying goodbye. Df then got out his gardening stuff and did some gardening where the roofers could see him, while we waited in the car at the far side of the village. After a bit he puts the stuff away and goes out for a "walk" down to meet us.
Leaps in the car, we go.
About 5 miles down the road df realises in his playacting that he's forgotten to set the burglar alarm... and has almost certainly forgotten to lock the door, and possibly even shut it... grin
We go back, stop at the far side of the village for df to walk back. Show himself returning etc, then come out about half an hour later wearing a totally different outfit.
grin

We were about 3 hours late getting away all told!
I think df watches too much telly!

We weren't broken into and nor were the neighbours who not only went away the same day, but they spoke to the roofers about where they were going.
So probably the play acting was all for nothing.

But it was very funny. grin

emwantsbiscuits Sat 22-Oct-16 12:25:26

Arrrgh! YANBU but hopefully all will be fine xxx

somewheresomehow Sat 22-Oct-16 13:47:03

I would lock up every door and window possible take with you/hide all the keys, tell your neighbors there's strangers in the area asking to tarmac drives and your going away, set the alarm and go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now