To iron my oven?

(20 Posts)
FledglingFTB Sat 22-Oct-16 10:53:29

Filthy oven gifted to me by the vendor. After Mr Muscle and Oven Pride, it's still filthy and smelly.

I read that steam helps, could I sit my iron on high steam in it for 10 minutes, or have the cleaning fumes finally got to me?

This is the state I've got it from and too atm:

gingerboy1912 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:54:49

Find a local cleaning company who do ovens.

Toobusytowee Sat 22-Oct-16 10:55:45

Couldn't you make steam by cooking some water?

Haggisfish Sat 22-Oct-16 10:56:21

Wouldn't you be better to put a bowl of water in it and turn it on for half an hour?

rosesandcashmere Sat 22-Oct-16 10:56:37

A steam cleaner may help but I think your iron would just get filthy when it gets dripped on. Could you bake a dish filled with water to create steam and see what happens?
A paste of bicarbonate of soda and vinegar may help (leave on and scrape off) but I would recommend a professional oven cleaner, I had mine done for £25 and will never do it again myself. He even took the fan out and cleaned it - and between the glass! Have a google - there's always special offers on and life is too short. Easier to keep clean then too, and probably costs the same as all the cleaning products!

FledglingFTB Sat 22-Oct-16 10:57:35

A bowl of water would make sense, yes. Haha, what was I thinking with an iron! Might sit outside and get some fresh air confused

insancerre Sat 22-Oct-16 10:58:25

The steam might affect the electronics in the iron in a confined space, I wouldn't risk it
Plus, you don't want your iron to smell of your oven as it could transfer on contour ironed clothes, as your iron will be covered in grease

wheelwithinawheel Sat 22-Oct-16 10:59:29

Whack it on full heat with a chopped lemon in a bowl of water for 15 mins. Then make a solution of bicarbonate of soda, bio washing powder and green fairy liquid. Paste it on, leave for 10 mins, then scrub using a scourer. It's magic! Will still take a bit of scrubbing, but the citrus steam will break down the grease, same with washing powder.

JellyBelli Sat 22-Oct-16 11:02:51

What about the recent trick someone posted about rubbing with a dishwasher tablet? I think they are made from salt and acid.

FledglingFTB Sat 22-Oct-16 11:03:16

£25 QUID that's a bargain Roses I don't suppose you're NW based?

FledglingFTB Sat 22-Oct-16 11:05:34

I've been reading other threads about ovens and tried the dishwasher tab on the doors. It was rather good actually, no luck on the inside, worried it was a bit too scratchy.

I'll give the lemons and water a go, at least it'll smell nice!

CancelTheCheque Sat 22-Oct-16 15:10:25

Magic erasers. Hasn't taken the coating off mine yet but they might so be careful. For a less abrasive method I use paper towels soaked in white vinegar solution and leave them on a few hours, then the worst of it wipes off.

Fluffyears Sat 22-Oct-16 23:46:28

Be careful with steam, water etc if the element gets wet it shorts house electrics. If that dies happen you need to let it stay for 48+ hours (speaking from bitter experience)

rosesandcashmere Sat 22-Oct-16 23:51:22

Sorry fledgling, south east but it was half price on offer, was a bargain indeed! I would pay more than double that for the result he got so his intro offer worked smile

FledglingFTB Sun 23-Oct-16 22:30:11

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing is shifting it... So I've just bought an oven liner so I can pretend it doesn't exist! grin

Might try a second does of Oven Pride next weekend.

Homebird90 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:56:32

I scrub mine with a metal scourer. Nae problem.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sun 23-Oct-16 22:57:47

If you can afford it, it is so worth paying for a company that does it for you. I had mine done for the first time recently (£60 double oven plus grill) - before he did it I thought that was very expensive - now I'll never ever clean my own oven again!

mygorgeousmilo Sun 23-Oct-16 23:00:38

Oh wow! Dying 😆 why did you think to put your iron in there.... too many fumes haha!!! Baking dish water and lemons should do it. Turn it up as high as it'll go. Works in microwaves too.... don't put it in a metal dish thlgrinwinechocolate

Princesspond Sun 23-Oct-16 23:02:11

Get a company in, it'll look brand new. They'll even did my stainless steel roasting pan, I kept showing people, it was dazzling 😀 I've booked them in for a pre Christmas clean

trixymalixy Sun 23-Oct-16 23:05:42

The paint on oven cleaner from Lakeland is fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now