To think this is a bit 'wooo'?

(22 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Fri 21-Oct-16 20:30:25

Since having my daughter (now 2) I have been aware of a smell that, periodically, seems to follow me around. The first time I was aware of it was the day she was born, it was really strong in those first few weeks. It's a lavender, herby and almost a cinnamon/clove smell. Not like anything we use in the house.

Initially, I thought it must be linked to breast feeding. But I stopped feeding her when she was 9 months. The smell seems to follow me around for a few days and then just disappears for about 3 months. And then it returns!!

It's a bit wooo right??!

user1471517900 Fri 21-Oct-16 20:32:54

As a ghost it makes absolute sense to send messages this way rather than any other. Leaves no room for any doubt.

Sleepybunny Fri 21-Oct-16 20:33:39

Did you ever see that thing about the woman who could smell Parkinson's disease? Totally blew my mind. Not suggesting your smelling anything sinister, but maybe you can smell something real that others can't?

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Fri 21-Oct-16 20:55:20

I had this in my old house but fresh ( cut) mint smell

I was with my ddad who is very woo ( trained as a healer) and it was the middle of January- we were in the lounge stripping paint and wall paper!

Had it happen a couple of times after not very often though, ddad always said it was an old lady who had lived in the house who wanted to know what we were doing.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:00:51

It's quite a pleasant smell so I don't mind. We moved house in the summer of '15 and it followed me here. Then our house flooded and had to be completely renovated top to bottom. And yet I still smell it.

thecatsarecrazy Fri 21-Oct-16 22:26:44

I can sometimes smell cigarette smoke in my downstairs loo. Nobody in the house smokes. Its strange and only ever smell it there.

Assquatch Fri 21-Oct-16 22:32:14

Smoke in the downstairs loo, could it be a neighbour or someone going past? Especially if it's vented they carry all sorts through once thought in a sleep deprived state people were talking in my kitchen, was coming through the vent for my cooker hood.

I used to smell a smell of old lady but it was a neighbour using air freshener (lived in a flat).

MooseyMouse Fri 21-Oct-16 22:38:35

I could smell something that wasn't there for weeks on and off. Turned out I had a sinus infection...

EvansAndThePrince Fri 21-Oct-16 22:52:22

You sure it's not your daughter's natural smell?

previously1474907171 Sat 22-Oct-16 00:51:07

In a previous house there was one room where I would smell cigar smoke. I also felt someone touching my backside on more that one occasion. Only in that one room. It only happened when I was alone in the house.

DanGleballs Sat 22-Oct-16 00:59:55

I can smell cancer. I grew up with a parent with it and now know it's distinctive smell. Is that woo?

Also when I am in pain I can hear it. It is sort of a crackling in my ears. Weird.

centreyourself Sat 22-Oct-16 01:07:53

I'm intrigued Dan do you mean when the cancer is advanced? Or that you can be with someone who has cancer and is not even aware that they do because it hasn't been diagnosed?

ClaudiaJean2016 Sat 22-Oct-16 04:42:25

I can sometimes smell cigarette smoke in my downstairs loo. Nobody in the house smokes. Its strange and only ever smell it there.

That's from people nearby smoking and it getting sucked in through the ventilation. Took me forever to figure out that was why smoking outside made the bathroom smell of it.

DanGleballs Sat 22-Oct-16 05:12:59

centreyourself I don't really know, it isn't exactly something that you can talk to people about. I have known before I have been told but I don't know whether they had been diagnosed iyswim.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 22-Oct-16 05:32:05

What does it smell of Dan?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 22-Oct-16 05:54:58

Dogs can smell cancer at a very early stage so it is possible to smell cancer. I remember hearing a spooky story about a woman who smelt flowers when someone was going to die. A group of her son's friends came round and she could smell death. Her son decided not to go and the friends were all killed in a car accident. Urban legend I imagine but will save it for when the dc are a bit older smile

Sirzy Sat 22-Oct-16 05:54:58

I often get whiffs of cigarette smoke, the same smell as from my grandads cigarettes. Happened soon after ds had been born when there was just me and ds in a private room.

It may or may not be something but I find the idea comforting anyway.

GarlicMist Sat 22-Oct-16 05:56:49

Not woo, Dan, it's a real thing. They train dogs to smell cancer - and other diseases. Quite a few doctors can smell conditions that they've had a lot of experience with!

I hallucinate smells and music when I'm tired.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Sat 22-Oct-16 06:29:03

I am on the fence with whether I believe in woo things, but I did have a strange experience. i began to smell tea everywhere I went, really strongly, neither myself nor DH drink tea and the smell was overpowering and making me nauseous, no one else could smell it and it went on for a few days then disappeared suddenly. I then found out that a not very close relative had died during the week this was going on and afterwards people kept mentioning her obsession with tea. It could of course be coincidence as the relative would have no reason that I know of to 'visit' me, we had met only a few times during my life and I would be surprised if she had known me in the street. But the smell was there, and everyone thought I was going mad asking if they could smell it.

NinjaLeprechaun Sat 22-Oct-16 06:38:07

"Also when I am in pain I can hear it. It is sort of a crackling in my ears. Weird."
This sounds like synesthesia. I can smell pain (my own) and it has a particular colour.

DanGleballs Sat 22-Oct-16 08:11:46

It isn't a nice smell. The closest I can describe it as is musty/mildue but a little bit sweeter.

DanGleballs Sat 22-Oct-16 08:13:17

It smells like my parent did so maybe it triggers some animal instinct or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now