To be slightly annoyed?

(13 Posts)
suzu1982 Fri 21-Oct-16 12:54:24

For my birthday today ds has given me a book. A peppa pig book. Now, if he had chosen it himself I guess that it would have been quite sweet, him giving me something that he loves and wants to share with me iyswim. But he's 21 months old, so in reality it was dh who bought it.
He knows that I bloody hate don't really like ds watching peppa, cos it's crap, yet he still bought me the stupid book.
Honestly, what was wrong with a little bag of chocolates or something, or even just a crayon scribble drawing? I didn't want anything expensive, just something for me, not something for ds. Is that really selfish?

Imnotaslimjim Fri 21-Oct-16 13:04:48

Not selfish at all! Why on earth has he you bought you something that you can only use by sharing with your DC?

Has he got you anything else?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 21-Oct-16 13:07:44

Ooh. Did he give your child some money and let them choose, essentially? Most people would steer the child towards something their parent would want but maybe he missed that step. Or your 21 month old really wanted to get you a Peppa book...

has he got you something lovely from him?

I took my friends shopping for her birthdays when they were small (she was a single parent). They chose something or other (usually from a carefully selected place, so even if they got the football chocolate for example, it was chocolate that she'd like), and I got her something she'd really love from me. It was just a nice gesture getting her kids involved.

myownprivateidaho Fri 21-Oct-16 13:22:00

Did your husband get you a present? Unless he didn't I think YABU to get worked up about this. A present from an infant child is essentially a "joke gift". The fact that he chose something your DS likes, and therefore probably would think is a good gift, is sweet.

HaPPy8 Fri 21-Oct-16 13:23:42

I can imagine my 21 month old choosing that. And peppa pig is ace. Yabu

NavyandWhite Fri 21-Oct-16 13:24:48

Bit odd. Have you asked him why?

Oysterbabe Fri 21-Oct-16 13:25:29

I love Peppa Pig.

pictish Fri 21-Oct-16 13:27:04

i think it's a bit off, yes. What did he think you'd want that for?

suzu1982 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:08:56

I think I might have been being a bit u. Dh had got me some nice presents a, cool bag with my favourite cider and a candle that smells of parma violets, which I love.
I did ask why he chose it and apparently chocolate is "too generic" a present. I'm probably just being silly.

mycatstares Fri 21-Oct-16 14:27:51

A 21month is quite capable of pointing to a book to choose for you. Your dh got you other presents as well that you like..

Yabu and sound quite spoilt.

Topseyt Fri 21-Oct-16 14:40:25

Wishing you a Happy Birthday. flowers

However, I really can't see what there is to get annoyed about here.

DH did buy you some lovely presents and then he also allowed little DS to buy you the Peppa Pig book. Of course DS chose that because he probably likes it himself, thinks it is pretty and that you will like that. He also probably hopes you will read it to him but hey, he's a toddler, and toddlers would do that.

I hope you didn't show disappointment. If you did then that is unreasonable. A toddler can't be expected to think out these sorts of things in the same way that an adult could.

NerrSnerr Fri 21-Oct-16 14:42:37

Is it the Peppa Pig 'my mummy' book as I imagine that is quite a cute gift.

Topseyt Fri 21-Oct-16 14:44:49

I am actually assuming that DH took DS to choose the book by the way, but even if he didn't then you are still being unreasonable. You still have some great presents and should have let it go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now