To not tell friends about mental health issues

(7 Posts)
Electrolens Thu 20-Oct-16 23:41:26

I've been diagnosed with a personality disorder. I'm a person who has lots of friends - close and acquaintances. I e told close family members and am receiving therapy but I think friends would be quite shocked. I also don't want to cloud their judgement of me - but would normally share personal things with close friends. I've been referred to intensive therapy along with seeing a psychiatrist so would normally share. But in this case don't know what to do. AIBU to keep schtumm?

SirChenjin Thu 20-Oct-16 23:43:09

Not at all - it's your condition and you can share the details with as many or as few people as you like smile. Why do you think they would be shocked?

WorraLiberty Thu 20-Oct-16 23:46:06

YANBU

You don't owe anyone an explanation.

Only share what you want with people. It doesn't make you any less of a friend if you don't and if you do, it doesn't make you any more of a friend either.

QueenieBob Fri 21-Oct-16 00:07:16

YANBU. It's totally up to you to share as much or as little as you're comfortable with, especially if you still need time to come to terms with your diagnosis. However, having been in a similar situation, a word of caution - don't deny yourself support by not confiding in friends. I'm not saying tell everyone everything but a couple of friends whose opinion & values you trust could make a world of difference. People aren't as easily shocked as you might think & can be incredibly understanding & supportive. Good luck flowers

ClaudiaJean2016 Fri 21-Oct-16 01:14:31

YaNBU to not tell.

I have a mental health condition and have actually lost friends because I told them, so now I choose not to tell.

graphista Fri 21-Oct-16 01:31:23

Totally up to you, i've a litany of conditions now (mental and physical) I didn't tell many at first as I was focused on dealing, once I did start telling I had mostly positive supportive responses (thankfully things are improving on this score) but yes a few idiots, and when you're already struggling you don't need the grief. I'm now 10 years post-first diagnosis and EVERYONE knows. Those that are arses about it I drop, not just because they've offended/hurt me but because that means they're clearly not nice people.

Good luck with treatment, try and remember it's not all 'up' you will have less good times still but overall things will get better.

EreniTheFrog Fri 21-Oct-16 07:25:57

Absolutely YANBU: it's your decision who to tell what, and you don't owe anyone at all any disclosure. And given the intense stigma which surrounds PDs, you are probably being very wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now