Advanced search

AIBU? Holiday rental taking the piss

(15 Posts)
PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 19:01:44

A few days ago I booked a last minute holiday rental for half term. Price was ok, considering half term week, house suited our needs etc. Booked it through Came to £800.

The next day, I got an email from the agent - boiler in rental is bust, and can't replace before we arrive on Saturday, but they have other properties they rent out, and can sort a refund for the initial house, and offered another property for £725 (discount offered for our trouble etc). They also invited me to check their website, and pick any of the houses free if I preferred a different one.

I had a look, noted that the house offered in exchange was not convenient (no parking nearby, and this is a deal breaker), but they had a few other properties which would suit. Checked them all, picked the one I thought best for our needs, and called them up to arrange. Everyone happy, no problem.

New invoice has arrived, with the same 'discounted' price of £725 listed, BUT the house I picked was listed as £600 for the week.

WWYD? We go on Saturday, so need to get invoice settled ASAP, but they're taking the piss, surely?

I was happy with the original house/price (found through a third party agent, so didn't realise there were more properties) and I realise I probably originally would have been paying over the odds, but I didn't know that then, iyswim.

Now I'm in the position where the agent is apparently offering me a discount for being understanding about the move of properties, except they're not, hey are actually charging me more than they advertise that house for, fornthe same period (and substantially more, as the £600 was for a week, and we are going for 5 days).

OTOH, its Thursday evening, and we go on Saturday... not really much time for negotiations.

Trifleorbust Thu 20-Oct-16 19:17:58

Absolutely not. You need to tell them you will not pay a penny more than the previously advertised price. If anything, they should be offering you a further discount on the cheaper property, since you are the one being inconvenienced.

lilyboleyn Thu 20-Oct-16 19:42:01

Hopefully they've not realised their mistake and will correct it when you're in touch.
If not, depends whether you're willing to potentially lose your break, though. Think I'd have to call them out on it.

missm0use Thu 20-Oct-16 19:45:47

Is it or the property owner contacted you regarding the boiler and subsequent discount?

tofutti Thu 20-Oct-16 19:53:15

Take a screenshot of the £600 price ( in case they change it).

I would definitely complain now before you stay there.

PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 20:01:22

Thanks all.

I think I am going to have to mention it.

It was the owner/direct management company who contacted me, not

All the properties left on the direct website seem to be substantially cheaper than the one I originally booked - no way of knowing wether that's because it was a more expensive property, or was a mark up. It's irrelevant either way - I was happy with the original price for the original rental. If I hadn't had to check the direct site due to the enforced change, I'd be none the wiser (and happily so).

Unfortunately the direct site has now been changed to show that the property is rented for that week, so dates blocked out and no price showing, so no proof. But I made a note of it as I was going through the various properties.

I'll send an email and see what they say. I need to get it sorted, as rental is on the Isle of Wight, and have ferry booked, so not so simple as just finding another last minute holiday.

PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 20:04:39

Oh, and I'm not necessarily after a discount on the new rental. I wasn't absolutely heart-set on the original rental - it was a house available for the dates we need, withbthe right facilities/number of bedrooms. One is much like another, and my only concern is having a break, rather than any particular house. I'm happy to pay full rental price, as imo we're not being inconvenienced in any way (new rental has same facilities and right number of bedrooms etc). But that doesn't mean I'm happy to pay more for the property than if I'd originally booked that one, iyswim.

3catsandcounting Thu 20-Oct-16 20:24:16

If dates are blocked out and no price showing, have a look at next years' prices on the website, same time of year (unless it's too early for that) The price should be similar.

PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 22:07:29

I've sent an email saying there must have been an oversight, as noticed the price when checking availability etc, and saying I'm happy to settle once I receive an amended invoice.

Now it's just wait and see...

costababe Thu 20-Oct-16 22:17:53

The difference in price on their own website compared to is the booking fee that is collected by from you and then collected from the owner or property manager. I would have a word with the owner/ mamgement company. This happens to us sometimes and we are happy to waive the additional, at this late stage I am sure they will want the business.

PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 22:35:00

Yes, I get that, and was happy with the original booking, price-wise.

I'm not happy paying a bumped up price when going direct through the management company (new arrangement is paying management company direct, following full refunded cancellation of booking). If they'd asked me to complete via, I'd not have raised an eyebrow - the price is what it is.

But to see one price on the website, and then get charged a completely different price, under the guise of a discount (it is cheaper than original booking, but that doesn't make it a discount grin) is a bit cheeky.

cardibach Thu 20-Oct-16 22:43:53

I don't get the angst tbh. They aren't being cheeky they've obviously made a mistake. I'd have just rung up and explained - I wouldn't even expect it to be a difficult call. At this short notice I would definitely phone rather than email - why did you take that route, out of interest?

PandasRock Thu 20-Oct-16 22:53:44

I emailed because by the time I could do anything about it it was approaching 10pm, which is too late to call.
I didn't get the invoice until post school run - so had to sort out tea, homework, bedtime etc for 3 dc with ASD. That all takes time. So have sent an email, and if I hear nothing by the end of schoolnrun tomorrow morning, I'll give them a call.

There's no real angst, I'm just a bit pissed off. I don't think it is a mistake - I can accept that I paid a higher price initially due to booking through a third party agent, but none of the properties on their website are the same higher price, and sonrigjr from the initial offer of a 'discount', there has been disingenuity.

cardibach Thu 20-Oct-16 22:56:44

I think it's obviously an error - it was article mentioned before about a more expensive property and is just hanging around on your paperwork. They told you to look at their website, they're well aware you know the actual price. I'm sure it'll be sorted.
With that timing I'd probably have emailed too and followed up with a call the next morning. Talking to people is always the best way to sort things out.
Hope you have a lovely break.

cardibach Thu 20-Oct-16 22:57:18

A price not article. Don't know what my iPad is on. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now