Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sexism at work

(13 Posts)
Goldiloz Thu 20-Oct-16 05:53:43

So I found out today that I am not being paid as much as I thought. I misunderstood the job description but it was slightly ambiguous. It transpires that the person technically below be gets £300 per year less than me. And that is the full time rate. And I am on about £46,000. Now I am going on maternity leave and they want this person to do my job but the conversation yesterday was along the lines of paying him more cos otherwise why would he do it? And he is more experienced than anyone else they could appoint. I feel like they throw money at him and find every opportunity to make me work for less. I have no proof it's because I am a woman and have been on maternity leave before but it certainly feels like that. Am I being over sensitive or jumping to conclusions? I certainly feel very let down and undervalued by my employer.

Bruce02 Thu 20-Oct-16 06:01:08

I can totally get why you feel it's sexist. But it could be down to him negotiating a better rate for the job he is doing now. And they are right, no matter what I am paid, I wouldn't do a job a level above me for not much more money. Unless the experience was vital to me moving forward in my career. Even then I would expect more than £300 per year.

Mat leave is usually calculated on what you have been earning recently, so it may not be worth pursuing now. Depends in wether you feel you are up to it at the moment. But when you return, if I were you, I would be pursuing the higher rate that he is getting to cover your Mat Leave.

Ifailed Thu 20-Oct-16 06:41:04

Agree with Bruce, who would take on extra responsibility for only £300 (a rise of less than 1%), especially if they are in a position to bargain for more?

carmenta Thu 20-Oct-16 06:47:06

My mat leave cover is about to start doing my role (a grade above him) for no pay rise because it's a huge opportunity to prove that he's ready for promotion. My last mat leave cover did the same thing. Of course it happens.

OP, you should raise the issue of pay with them. Do they do any salary anchoring that you can use?

User100 Thu 20-Oct-16 06:50:23

I'd say this may well be sexist but I'd think about it tactically. Let then pay him what he wants, assuming you plan to return within 9 months you are entitled to the same job back so take it then after a month or two approach you boss for a raise. You can start with "I know you paid x £y and I think I'm just as good as him, more experienced etc." then if they don't budge go down the sex discrimination argument more explicitly.

Goldiloz Thu 20-Oct-16 06:54:25

Unfortunately my job stood first then they created a post for him. I did not have a chance to compare and then accept the extra responsibility.

scaryclown Thu 20-Oct-16 07:05:04

as soon as they pay him more than you for the same job they are at risk of a discrimination claim, i would have thpught. any 'he has more quals' is offset by 'i have job specific experience. take advice, but i think let them pay more, pressure them for retrospective resolution, settle for for maternity pay to be increased. (i say this because they already seem to be making excuses to justify increased salary on the basis of 'it seems fair to give him an increase' If i were them i'd advertise the job, hint to him that he needs to show he is ready for promotion and offer him a course in management or something on the side...but then if i was fantasising anyway, i would use his negotiation to raise your maternity pay anyway. i hate the stupid idea that maternity leave retards career development or contribution. If anything stepping out and back in again improves performance, as does managing handovers...hmmph!

scaryclown Thu 20-Oct-16 07:13:13

hang on..re-reading that..were you in on a conversation before they talked to him? If so then they may be hinting that they are open to talk about remuneration in general. The thing they need to hear is thatyou think you are underrewarded for the role, but as a newbie shpuld he get the rate you would.

Goldiloz Thu 20-Oct-16 07:26:39

I have expressed concern about being underpaid and was told that I knew the pay when I applied for the job. What they invented was his job after mine at basically the same pay.

Crisscrosscranky Thu 20-Oct-16 07:36:52

Is his role also being back filled or will he do 2 roles for your mat leave? If the latter its wholly reasonable that he'd receive an honorarium payment for covering your mat leave on top of his base salary; this may end up being more than your basic salary but it's not sexism.

Bruce02 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:19:44

Did you take that as your final answer? Or did you revisit it, put forward a case as to why you should be paid more.

Obviously sexist in the work place is very real but sometimes it comes down to how far you are willing to push the issue. The fact that they created a job for him means there is a reason they want him in the company. Possible because he is a man or maybe he has skills or experience they want. Perhaps some head hunted him.

Far too many of my female friend don't push enough for salary increases. The reasons are all different. Some feel uncomfortable, some don't want to seek employment elsewhere (for lots of reasons) they don't want to be seen as a problem causer

Fact is most employers won't pay what someone's worth unless they have to.

carmenta Thu 20-Oct-16 10:10:30

Research has shown that women ask for pay rises as often as men, women just get turned down more. So you have to push harder and be better prepared for the negotiation, OP, that's the reality. Don't take no for an answer.

zoebarnes Thu 20-Oct-16 16:41:22

It's sexist bullshit. On a thread recently a woman felt she was underpaid as she was given no uplift for covering a more senior role, and she was told to suck it up for the experience.
Note the horror of your bosses at the suggestion this bloke should work for the same as you earn.
Let them pay him more, argue that you want the same (or more), if they refuse, get some legal advice.
Long term, I'd leave. Sorry but they don't value you, whilst treating this guy like he's Christ arisen. Get out and vote with your feet after maternity leave obvs, no point screening yourself over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now