Talk

Advanced search

To not be able to decide wether to move house or not ! How' do people actually decide ?!

(8 Posts)
ginorwine Wed 19-Oct-16 13:56:40

We have a 4 storey house with fantastic views . We have lived here many years and now in our 50 s . The house is in a great location but has some compromises in layout such as one room which is difficult to use as it has three doors going from it . The kitchen is foot but dark as half of it is underground / into the hill - we live on a steep hill .
My dh is in a stressful job and is waiting to retire from it at 60 in three years n do something part time . Put our house on market with plan to downsize and release equity to be motagage free also . Sold in three days .
We saw a smaller semi all done up , upvc windows - but we didn't buy due to a local issue .
Since then we have got cold feet - we love this area but the house costs a bomb to heat and all the windows will need replacing in next few years . If we downsize in this area there are only 4 streets and the houses are either very big - medium like ours or tiny cottage terraces . So it wd be diownsizr to a two bed or two bed with loft space .
Or we cd move area but everytime we look Ina new area we get a heart sink feeling . ( except for one other area - views again but modern detracted but there are only 6 of them - we got an agent to leaflet asking to sell but no response - people rarely move from there )
Our buyers have offered to wait for a year while we try and find somewhere .
So
Choices - try to stay in this area and downsize . Mortgage free - but small .comprimuse - size and you can hear thro walls in lot of the houses .
Try keep this size house going ( as love the views and there are no probs other than Windows , hi bills and upkeep £ again you can hear the walls but big enough to get away as can go on a different floor . I'd love a detached house but non in this area - all tall terraces .
Wait fir the detached in other area ( which may or may not come avaliable !

user1476140278 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:31:27

Stay. You obviously love the house...the small compromises are nothing much...I also have a room with three doors and it's very irritating I know.

But short of building your own ideal home, it sounds like your area hasn't anything you'd like as much.

Or...to be my own Devil's advocate...why not a two bed cottage with loft?

Might be lovely and cosy in winter. Very romantic really...roses round the door.

flashheartscanoe Wed 19-Oct-16 14:57:52

Is there any way you can turn one floor of your house into a self contained flat? That way you can get some rent money to cover your bills and stay where you are.
Alternatively I'd put off the buyers and spend the 3 years you have waiting for the house you want to come up. It sounds like you can easily find other buyers.

MargaretCavendish Wed 19-Oct-16 15:00:25

As a recent buyer - please make a decision quickly either way! I felt so sorry for the buyers (who obviously really, really want the house if they'll wait a year) reading your OP!

hellsbellsmelons Wed 19-Oct-16 15:35:42

Move to a new area not too far away.
Have a nice new exciting start to the next phase of your life.
Detached bungalow maybe?
A semi really is not an issue if you have nice neighbours.
I'd want to be mortgage free ASAP and start saving for the holidays I'd be taking when DP retires!

ginorwine Wed 19-Oct-16 16:13:59

Hi Margret
Yes the buyers are a major stress for me as I really feel fir them . Indeed they keep sending me pics of other houses saying huw about this .... and I get stressed again !

SpookyMooky Wed 19-Oct-16 16:32:06

What is your longer term plan with the mortgage? Will you be able to pay it off in a few years if you stay? It sounds like it's the wrong time for you to be moving tbh, your hearts aren't in it. Maybe wait until DH has retired from FT work and you have the headspace to embrace the change - enjoy the extra space now while you still have the higher income.

It sounds like you're just moving because you feel you should now. If that's the case, you're at risk of pulling out late in the process, which is massively worse for your buyers than if you pull out now.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 19-Oct-16 17:18:17

Get Kirstie and Phil on your case, you can find the details on the Ch4 website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now