Talk

Advanced search

Sudden job loss

(14 Posts)
ScaredAndStressedOut Tue 18-Oct-16 22:18:27

Firstly sorry for posting in AIBU I don't where else to put this. I'm panicking and could really do with some advice of some kind or any kind of helpful words.

I have found out today I have lost my job. I have been there three years. We are all gone the company is running at a loss and we are all getting laid off in the next couple of weeks. I have been saving hard for my wedding in February.

I am so scared. The company I worked for was quite niche and there isn't anything comparable out there. I was paid well for what I did and it was my dream job. I don't have much experience and no practical qualifications just generic a levels. I feel sick. We can't live on one income for long I have savings but had this earmarked for the wedding and feel like crying because now that will probably have to be used up on general living.

I don't know what to do.

airingcupboard Tue 18-Oct-16 22:22:08

Didn't want to just read and run. So sorry to hear this. How much of wedding is planned/paid for; there's no shame in losing a job these days and at least you've got that cushion if you need to lose it.

Obvious things - tomorrow, get yourself on LinkedIn with an up to date CV. Are there recruiters/agencies in the area you work in? would you be prepared to work in something different for a while until you find a job in your area?

AgathaMystery Tue 18-Oct-16 22:24:02

Don't panic & build a few days into your plans to just regroup, redraft your CV, like PP said update everything on LinkedIn etc.

I know you can't live off fresh air but don't panic & take a little time.

brew & cake for you

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 18-Oct-16 22:25:40

Been there 4 weeks ago!

Big hugs and take a day or two to deal with the fall out etc

dingdongdigeridoo Tue 18-Oct-16 22:25:44

Try not to panic.

Find out what kind of redundancy you'll get. Hopefully this will give you living expenses for a little while. Tomorrow, spend time on your CV. Think about the transferable skills you might have. There must be something a little different you can do.

e1y1 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:27:20

Sorry you're going through this.

Good advice from PP.

Damia Tue 18-Oct-16 22:31:40

As pp said get ur cv done. Send it in all directions. If your company was niche are there any that might expand to take over what you were doing? Could you send them your cv with comments about knowing the business? Never say you have no experience! Working somewhere for 3 years unless you stared out a window the entire time of course you do! You may have to put back the wedding if it isnt booked n paid for so you should take a deep breath and decide that right now. If things change you can put it back on but personally i wouldnt want the stress.

deathandtaxes123 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:35:50

Ah try not to panic.

Look at what you need to cover for your big day and see if anything can be cut back to cut your cloth accordingly.

I'm sorry OP. It's a rubbish position to be in flowers

daisychain01 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:36:08

When one door closes another one opens.

Honestly, it has happened several times to'e and each time I have gone on to greater things. Of course, you never see it like that at the time, it's such a massive shock, especially as it was your dream job.

Redouble your efforts to find a new role and don't worry if you have a few duff ones to begin with, you'll be better off in the long run. flowers

edwinbear Tue 18-Oct-16 22:43:22

Happened to me at the start of last month. I'd been there 19 years, it's shit, it really is. All you can do, realistically, is update your CV, get on LinkedIn, contact any and all contacts you have from your professional network and start looking. Do you have any family members who could help with the wedding costs?

edwinbear Tue 18-Oct-16 22:48:03

And also, if you've been paying NI contributions for at least 2 years you will be able to claim contribution based JSA (regardless of savings and your partners earnings) for 6 months. It's only £73 a week but it helps. I've also found the job centre very helpful in terms of appointments with a careers advisors, courses they will fund etc.

SanityAssassin Wed 19-Oct-16 00:26:02

Definitely claim JSA whether you need it or not as it will credit your National Insurance Contributions.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 19-Oct-16 00:35:32

It's happened to me a couple of times. So sympathetic flowers
My advice is to give yourself 48 hours of guilt free moping about feeling sorry for yourself and railing against the injustice.
Then pick yourself up and look at every job you are (or almost are) able to do. Think about your skills. And find a job. Be ambitious.

RoseGoldHippie Wed 19-Oct-16 00:39:37

Not quite the same but getting sacked was the best thing that could ever have happened to me! Although at the time it felt like my whole world had fallen apart.

Everything happens for a reason OP just try and keep smiling and I wish you all the best of luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now