Talk

Advanced search

We chased some sheep!!

(234 Posts)
Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:36:25

I never let my kids chase pigeons in town or torment our cats or dogs. But today I actively encouraged my adult dd to carry my 2 year old ds to chase after some sheep.
The reason being ds wanted to cuddle one!! His little face crumpled when they obviously didn't catch one. We took loads of photos instead and he has talked about his wish to cuddle one for hours now. Looks like we will be visiting our nearby kids farm when we get back off holiday!
Are we as parents unreasonable in supporting our kids dreams even if they are somewhat strange?? Should I have told him it was a ridiculous idea or to let him think he had a chance??
The sheep by the way didn't look like they cared less about having to hurry off from a skinny dd carrying a well - clothed ds up a steep grassy hill - before I get rspca flamed!

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:38:48

See I'm all for letting your children do mad stuff but chasing a sheep is still a bit naughty. I'd chastise regardless of how bothered or not the sheep were because I'm pretty sure bothering animals isn't ok in any form.

Take him to a children's farm, let him fuss the animals there.

minesapintofwine Tue 18-Oct-16 20:38:56

Is this for real? Yes yabu. hmm

JellyBelli Tue 18-Oct-16 20:40:12

Thats classes as sheep worrying, and it causes them to aborrt their lambs. dont chase sheep. If you let your dog do that, the farmer can shoot it.

RhodaBorrocks Tue 18-Oct-16 20:40:23

I think that's great OP. Better DS going for a cuddle than what my DF and his mate did - which was to active encourage my toddler Dsis to chase after sheep yelling "MINT SAUCE!!!" whilst capturing it all on video. grin

attheendoftheday Tue 18-Oct-16 20:40:27

Chasing sheep is unkind imo.

I support my kids whims on many occasions but not if it harms people of animals.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:41:07

It was about 100 yards btw!!

MsVestibule Tue 18-Oct-16 20:41:30

The sheep by the way didn't look like they cared less about having to hurry off from a skinny dd carrying a well - clothed ds up a steep grassy hill

How would you know if the sheep wete bothered? Are you a sheep whisperer? No, I would never encourage my young children (let alone adult ones) to chase any animal. Why do you discourage them from chasing pigeons, but not sheep confused?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 18-Oct-16 20:41:35

Of course YABU!

RhodaBorrocks Tue 18-Oct-16 20:41:37

And no I don't agree with what they did! The joke was funny, not encouraging the sheep chasing.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 18-Oct-16 20:43:47

hurry off from a skinny dd carrying a well - clothed ds

Are sheep more scared of naked children ? confused

TheWitTank Tue 18-Oct-16 20:43:47

YABU. Don't let your kids chase animals. The farmer would not be impressed and its an unpleasant for the sheep. If they are like the sheep at our local farm, the ram is out with them and would have chased you!

Oysterbabe Tue 18-Oct-16 20:44:17

Yabu. Chasing animals is not something I would allow my child to do, it's cruel.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 18-Oct-16 20:44:46

What japes!

hmm You'd think a sheep behaviourist like op would know better.

PurpleDaisies Tue 18-Oct-16 20:47:57

Are we as parents unreasonable in supporting our kids dreams even if they are somewhat strange?

When your child's dream involves terrorising animals you are totally unreasonable to encourage them.

MyJuneName Tue 18-Oct-16 20:48:27

Of course they cared!
Ffs "didn't look like they cared"? So, they were running away for fun?
Sheep can die from fear induced heart attacks when chased, so no they they weren't enjoying it.
Well done for allowing your child to terrify animals and well done for teaching him that that is a funny thing to do.

Billben Tue 18-Oct-16 20:49:30

You are an idiot. Not just for letting your kids chase sheep just so your precious little snowflake can cuddle one, but also for coming on here and expecting people to be ok with it and reassure you that chasing sheep is something right minded do. You are lucky they weren't my sheep and I didn't catch you at it. Stupid woman

Salmotrutta Tue 18-Oct-16 20:50:43

Are you on a wind up OP?

Let's hope those sheep weren't carrying lambs then because they could abort.

But hey! Never mind - your kid got to torment some animals so that's all fine then.

hmm

Blackfellpony Tue 18-Oct-16 20:51:58

Worrying sheep is an offence and can cause massive problems to the animals.

Sometimes you can't have what you want, I aim to teach my DS that rather than let him mess about with someone else's livelihood.

PurpleDaisies Tue 18-Oct-16 20:52:49

Why on earth didn't you just say "no, we can't chase after the sheep because it's cruel-we'll go and see one next time we're near a farm"? Problem solved? If you have an adult daughter you must know you can't just let children do what they want. confused

Ilovehedgehogs Tue 18-Oct-16 20:53:17

Unbelievable, are people really this stupid?

Creatureofthenight Tue 18-Oct-16 20:53:32

Of course YABU.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 18-Oct-16 20:53:38

I dare you to chase some cows and calves next time,

Dear God OP what world do you live in that you think it's ok to chase and terrorise animals, and yes they could well be in lamb and abort

FlyingElbows Tue 18-Oct-16 20:53:51

Go to a shop, buy him a cuddly toy and stay the fuck away from other people's livestock.

MyGiddyUncle Tue 18-Oct-16 20:55:19

YABU - you shouldn't encourage your kids to chase animals of any kind IMO.

And just to make you aware - not ALL sheep are scaredy run-awayers. Ds1 got chased by a sheep a couple of months ago - the thing was furiously pelting after him (for no reason, he just unintentionally came around a corner and started it). I was too far to help and my heart was in my mouth, it's still a large animal if it does run at you and it's capable of doing some damage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now