Amazon Prime Now Tip

(22 Posts)
Hamletsmoney Tue 18-Oct-16 14:47:03

Just bought something. They added a £2 tip. Since when do you pay a tip for ordering online?

Planty18 Tue 18-Oct-16 14:59:18

Mmm interesting. Aren't you paying for it anyway?! They don't do our area but if I was desperate for something that quickly I probably wouldn't mind the £2 charge as a one off but they'll perhaps lose custom. Any option to remove? Surely they are paying their staff appropriately? I hope so.

Hamletsmoney Tue 18-Oct-16 15:02:22

Well I hope they're paying their staff appropriately. I should have said that I did remove it, but just think it is strange to pay a tip.

LurkingHusband Tue 18-Oct-16 15:05:37

Is this the "digital benefit" which is a credit to be spent on online music/video purchases and rentals ?

Been offered for a while ... if you order via Prime, somethings have an option where you can choose delivery method, and if you choose a "no rush, 3-5 day" delivery instead of "next day" you get a digital benefit (£1 or £2).

We've built up a few £££ doing this. The crazy thing is it doesn't seem to slow the delivery. I ordered something last Friday - selected the 3-5 day delivery and got £2 credit. But the item was delivered less than 24 hours later !

SpotTheDuck Tue 18-Oct-16 15:14:11

No, Lurking, this is the delivery service where you get things within a few hours. Only available for some items and in some areas so far.

Amazon do add on a suggested tip for this: I suppose their logic is that you tip the pizza delivery guy, so it's the same, but I always remove it! Like OP said you don't usually tip for online orders.

SpotTheDuck Tue 18-Oct-16 15:14:45

Just to be clear, it's a suggestion you give money to the delivery driver - it's not an offer from Amazon to give money to you!

LurkingHusband Tue 18-Oct-16 15:24:40

Tx for clarification smile

FleurThomas Tue 18-Oct-16 15:28:39

I usually cancel it. Probably mean of me.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Tue 18-Oct-16 15:58:45

Of course they are paying staff appropriately.

It's an optional tip. Remove if you do not want to pay it.

It's very obvious when you place an order that you need to remove it if you don't want it, it's hardly hidden.

You can also increase the amount. You are paying for Prime already, true, but that's next day delivery. This is an additional benefit and someone is getting your order to you within 2 hours of ordering, I'd happily tip if we had that in our area!

RatOnnaStick Tue 18-Oct-16 16:02:24

I wouldn't tip for that. If they offer a 2 hour delivery service then that's their choice and if I choose to take it up then that's my choice. No extra service above and beyond what is advertised so not worthy of a tip.

maggiethemagpie Tue 18-Oct-16 16:05:29

If you're paying extra for the service, or paying for it as part of prime membership then you shouldn't have to pay a tip on top. It should be part of the package.

I'm a stingy tipper, I will tip in restaurants for good table service but not much else, maybe round a cab fare up to the nearest pound.

I can see the point in a restaurant, as you're being waited on for a substantial period of time but if it's just a driver walking a few steps up to your door, why bother?

No one ever tips me in my job! I get my salary and that's it!

Charlesroi Tue 18-Oct-16 16:13:20

Most of the delivery drivers are self-employed and on piece work (so maybe 50p per delivery?). I'd be worried Amazon may use this system to reduce their per delivery rates even further.
If we tip we always do it in cash, and directly to the person who provided the service.

Hamletsmoney Tue 18-Oct-16 16:25:42

Does the driver get the tip?

AndNowItsSeven Tue 18-Oct-16 16:26:33

Yes the driver gets the tip.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 18-Oct-16 16:26:52

You can change the amount or remove it altogether up to you.

akkakk Tue 18-Oct-16 16:27:14

An institutionally organised 'tip' is not a tip - it is a tax / extra charge on the customer, and or a way of reducing payment to staff...

a tip occurs when the recipient of a service is pleased with a service and wants to say thank you - to assume that there will always be a tip degrades its value...

Fourormore Tue 18-Oct-16 16:29:01

How can you know whether you want to tip before you've had the delivery?

LivingInMidnight Tue 18-Oct-16 17:02:35

I've been leaving it on because I feel bad taking it off. I'm too soft.

Hamletsmoney Tue 18-Oct-16 18:47:34

That's what I thought Fourormore

starwars13 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:23:56

Having just bought an item with Amazon now, I had a chat with the driver, who stated that he doesn't see a penny of this tip. Frankly it's dishonest of Amazon.

Catlady1976 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:27:06

The drivers aren't paid appropriately either.

Beautifullymixed Fri 13-Jan-17 18:36:40

I use this service often. Sometimes twice in a week, and on a couple of occasions, twice in a day. blush
I remove the tip each and every time, and feel no guilt at all.
I pay my prime fee each year, and often notice the price of products with amazon are more expensive if they are prime.
So we are paying twice hmm

I am ultra impatient though, and like things delivered by the next day at the latest. This delivery service has replaced my tesco delivery shop totally.
The minimum shop is £20, I order, and it arrives in two hours. I can get morrisons food items, which are good value, and I also get the store discounts too.
I love that I can get an amazon gift card, a toaster or a games console, delivered with a pint of milk and loaf of bread.
All delivered in two hours with no extra charge. Long may it last!

But, i'm still certainly not paying a tipsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now