Talk

Advanced search

To get 'fuck off and park elsewhere' signs made and stick them on these cars

(69 Posts)
ALemonyPea Tue 18-Oct-16 09:41:20

So sick of not being able to park anywhere near my house.

There is a block of flats being built 2 doors down from me and the twatting builders keep parking infront of the houses as soon as anyone moves off. I'm having to park in different streets.

I've complained a coup,e of times to the foreman, and he says he keeps telling them not to do it, but it's not bloody working is it!

I have a disabled child, and after school it's a right chore getting him in the house if we have to walk from a different street.

It's making me irrationally pissed off. I think the signs, glued to their windscreens might just do the trick!

DesignedForLife Tue 18-Oct-16 09:43:58

If you have a disabled child are you able to apply for a place to be marked out? Not helpful short term I know

ThatGingerOne Tue 18-Oct-16 09:44:45

Do you have an allocated parking space for your home? Do you have a drop kerb and they are parking over it infront of your driveway? Are they parking illegally?

If no then YABU - they can park where they like just like you can. Its annoying and its good you've politely asked but there's nothing more you can do, sorry OP. flowers

honeysucklejasmine Tue 18-Oct-16 09:45:24

Yy, ask the council to mark out a space. It might not be enforceable (depending on your council) but it should at least appeal to common decency.

thecitydoc Tue 18-Oct-16 09:46:35

if the vehicles are taxed and insured then they can park where they do park - no one has a right to park directly outside their home. You'll just need to suck it up unless you can get the council to put a disabled space outside your home, although anyone with a blue badge will be able to park in it. If you stick signs on their cars you would be liable for any damaged caused.

dodobookends Tue 18-Oct-16 09:49:56

There's a new estate being built in our town, and the builders have to adhere to specific rules about not annoying the neighbours and not scattering their vans all over the street.

Might be worth speaking to your local council planning / building reg department and asking their advice.

Wrinklytights Tue 18-Oct-16 09:50:19

Yabu. It's a public road. They're entitled to park there.

ALemonyPea Tue 18-Oct-16 09:54:13

Cannot get a bay marked out as he doesn't have a blue badge.

I know I'm BU, like I said, I'm irrationally annoyed about it.

They've got no consideration for anyone. The elderly man across from is having to park elsewhere as well, and he walks with a stick.

There are plenty of places for them to parks, like the huge car park 500 yards away, it just happens that the entrance to the site is on my street and they are lazy fuckers.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 18-Oct-16 09:55:17

You could complain to the council - but if they then double yellow the road, you won't be able to park there either. Applying for a space is a good idea but it can take some time.

It's a public road and if your house has no parking, you have no more entitlement to it than anyone else. If they are blocking your drive, definitely complain - although I believe you can block empty drives but not ones with cars on or some such nonsense.

It sucks. I have two parking spaces with my house, and they are never free. Occasionally if I complain enough someone comes to tell the drivers off, but they come back as soon as he's gone. Meh.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 18-Oct-16 09:56:20

Cross posts. I guess you're seeing it as them being lazy fuckers, they see them as empty parking spaces that are more convenient.

Have you applied for a blue badge? That might help reduce stress in the future if the walk is horrendous.

sooperdooper Tue 18-Oct-16 09:57:04

Why don't you have a blue badge? It's worth appealing if they've said no first time, my mum got one after a couple of tries

reallyanotherone Tue 18-Oct-16 09:57:49

Second dodo- There might well be nothing you can do about it, but it's worth checking the council haven't put in something about works vans when they granted planning permission.

Many business in built up areas have restrictions on working hours and parking so as not to inconvenience locals.

kilmuir Tue 18-Oct-16 09:58:08

Afraid it's tough.
Public road,

ALemonyPea Tue 18-Oct-16 10:01:07

One side of the road has double yellows, the council put them there before the building worked started to stop the builders parking there due to it being a bus route.

Spoke to council, it's nothing to do with them.

DS wouldn't be entitled to a blue badge as he doesn't get high rate mobility, which is the one stipulation for blue badges in my area.

I'll just have to continue moaning to them for the next 6 months I suppose.

Whycantibetangy Tue 18-Oct-16 10:02:35

If a block of flats is being built then this could just be a taste of things to come once people start moving in. Have dedicated parking places been included in the plans?
I'm having issues with builders on our street at the moment but at least its only a residential extension, once building work is finished then parking levels will go back to exactly how they were before.

ICuntSeeYourPoint Tue 18-Oct-16 10:03:32

YABU. I have sympathy about feeling the rage because of the difficulty it causes you, but they are entitled to park there. Unless you can get a blue badge and a disabled bay marked then you have no automatic right or entitlement to park outside your house. Long term, can you have a drive put in or move somewhere with a drive? If you need to park very close by that's probably something to prioritise.

Stopyourhavering Tue 18-Oct-16 10:04:01

In long term, will these new flats have allocated parking spaces or will flat owners also be parking on street, in which case see about getting blue badge for the future otherwise you'll be competing with them for spaces as well!

KERALA1 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:04:42

Yabu but I totally sympathise and don't have a disabled child. We live next to a hospital and have residents parking in the week but at weekends all the nurses park there for free. Know they are entitled to but tell them to fuck off all the time (in my head only obv)

ALemonyPea Tue 18-Oct-16 10:06:27

There is parking at the block of flats, so that hopefully won't be a problem. Entrance to the flats once built is on another street.

Cannot get a drive as there is a green area infront of the row of houses and protected trees. It's only a small road, room for around 6 cars infront, and a further 4 on the exit part.

I know they're legally entitled to park where they like, it's just pissing me off, more so the hassle when getting my son in from school.

Jaxhog Tue 18-Oct-16 10:11:53

Get some plastic cones (someone on ebay is bound to sell them) and put them out with a plank.

splendide Tue 18-Oct-16 10:16:26

I doubt workmen will be bothered about moving a few cones.

It's annoying but as you say there's nothing you can do about it. There is no parking on my road so I always have to park 5 mins away but I'm used to it now.

WhatsUpp Tue 18-Oct-16 10:17:34

Can you photograph the offenders and show it to the foreman, perhaps naming and shaming might help?

Olympiathequeen Tue 18-Oct-16 10:17:43

Find out who employs the builder (should be big signs around the site) and complain to them. If no luck tell the employer or contractor you will complain to the local paper and shame them. Explain about the alternative parking available.

ThatGingerOne Tue 18-Oct-16 10:17:49

I wouldn't put cones out, it is illegal as classed as obstructing a public high way.

JsOtherHalf Tue 18-Oct-16 10:21:11

Does the building firm have a considerate constructor sign anywhere?

www.ccscheme.org.uk/affected-by-work/affected-by-works/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now