Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to prefer to make the drive?

(5 Posts)
ShtoppenDerFloppen Mon 17-Oct-16 21:26:06

DH's parents live about 150 miles from us. They are both in their 80s now, and in pretty good health... but hardly young any more. DFIL does not like to drive after dark if possible, and the days are getting shorter.

DD's birthday is Sunday. DH's parents want to come here to see her, and while we'd love to have them visit, I could never forgive myself if something happened, and they would have to leave late afternoon in order to get home before dark.

We have to take DD for a hospital appointment to their town on Wednesday, but they are going to be away. MIL suggested they come here Sunday, but I would really rather go to them. We could visit longer, and don't have to worry about their safety on the roads.

However, MIL didn't sound too happy that I suggested we go there. Was I unreasonable?

Mysecretgarden Mon 17-Oct-16 21:29:54

She can still have wishes. Could they take the train instead?

NavyandWhite Mon 17-Oct-16 21:30:33

Definitely NBU.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Mon 17-Oct-16 21:35:22

The train only runs 3 times a day here, so their visit would be no better. They are going away for a few days and will be back Saturday. DH and I are going to talk about it, look at the weather forecast once the day is closer, and decide when they return.

Because they were only getting back Saturday, I thought they might welcome not spending another 6 hours on the road Sunday. Clearly, I was mistaken. We shall see...

PeachBellini123 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:37:53

YNBU. We prefer making the drive to my in-laws for similar reasons. I don't know if yours are the same but mine: a) don't like to feel they are putting us out by spending our weekend driving and b) don't like to feel they are 'old' and incapable of doing things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now