Advanced search

to think it'd be nice for our neighbours to have told us about building work?

(22 Posts)
RhiannasWeave Mon 17-Oct-16 11:20:13

My neighbours are having some major work done in their house. I think it's major because there is scaffolding up all around one side and three vans parked outside.

I think they're having work done to the roof or in the loft. We live in a row of Victorian terraces.

I work at home and there's been banging and drilling since 8:30am. I don't at all mind people having work done of course and I know it's a side-effect of working at home that you have to hear all the noise going on when people are having renovations.

But, AIBU to think they should have come around or just dropped a note around saying they're having work done so there'll be some noise. No need to apologise for it but it'd have been courteous to let us know wouldn't it?

I'm having a new kitchen fitted in November and I was going to go around to neighbours both sides beforehand and let them know even though I know the neighbours the other side of me are out at work all day so won't be impacted. It just seems neighbourly courtesy to me.

Inertia Mon 17-Oct-16 11:22:21

Does any of the work require a Party Wall Agreement, if you're in a terrace?

RhiannasWeave Mon 17-Oct-16 11:54:05

Inertia I have no idea what one of those is confused blush

idontlikealdi Mon 17-Oct-16 11:55:42

Are there any party wall works?

RhiannasWeave Mon 17-Oct-16 11:57:24

I don't know.

What counts as 'works' to party walls? For example, if they're putting some insulation on the party wall for a loft conversion, does that need notice?

What would need notice?

I wasn't that bothered about these legal questions, more that it'd have been nice to be notified about the noise! Am bothered now though

Aderyn2016 Mon 17-Oct-16 12:01:12

I think you should ring the planning dept of your local council and find out exactly what they are doing and how it will affect you (if at all). I think that if you need party wall agreements you have the right to make the neighbour pay for your legal advice and any other costs. People can be total chancers and you need to ensure that what they do doesn't affect you beyond a bit of noise.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 17-Oct-16 12:03:47

I agree with you op.

Could you pop round and ask one of the workers what they are doing and timescales so you know how long the disruption will last and if there might be party wall implications?

I live in a terraced house and next door carry out lots of work and have never let us know.
It has been so disruptive that when they were having wall cladding put in, on ds1 first birthday, a picture fell off our wall and hit a guest on the head!

We are planning an extension in 4 years and I am so tempted not to say a thing until the vans appear (it won't require planning). But I'm not that mean.

ReggaeShark Mon 17-Oct-16 12:04:51

YANBU. They are being beyond rude. Makes me wonder if they're covering something up. Have you seen a planning notice outside their house? Suggest you speak to the neighbours the other side, then speak to building neighbours together to ask what's going on, and also phone planning dept to ask about any application (and put them on the alert incase permission shoukd have been sought).

I had a terrace and next door had roof done and builders were clambering all over my roof.

kirinm Mon 17-Oct-16 12:08:35

We were using an electric sander to sand a door which took about 15 mins and we went and spoke to the neighbours. It is discourteous and doesn't do much for neighbourly relations!

Re the Party Wall - are they doing work to a wall (possibly roof) that you share with them? If so, they are legally obliged to serve a party wall notice.

RhiannasWeave Mon 17-Oct-16 12:13:41

I have no idea what they're doing.

I'll call the planning office. There's been no notices up outside the house.

charlestonchaplin Mon 17-Oct-16 12:25:02

Might be permitted development. Then planning would not be involved.

CaroleService Mon 17-Oct-16 12:25:41

Might be an idea to share notes with the neighbour on the other side of them

AGruffaloCrumble Mon 17-Oct-16 12:26:48

YANBU. My normally pleasant NDN did this whilst full well knowing I had a newborn baby. angry

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Mon 17-Oct-16 12:32:03

There should be a planning portal on the LA webpage, all planning permission and permitted development will be in there. I can't imagine it is an extension/loft conversion as you would have been informed by the LA - even if it was under permitted development rules

ElsieMc Mon 17-Oct-16 12:34:22

Party Wall Act works can even include work with 3-5 metres of a boundary wall, never mind a party wall. If it is permitted development though, there will not be a planning application in but often the need to observe Party Wall legislation is covered in planning permissions.

You need to find out what they are doing because there may be a requirement to give you notice under the Act.

a7mints Mon 17-Oct-16 12:35:35

Lots of works are permitted developments which don't require planning, and likely the PD won't be able to help you.I think it would be better to just ask the neighbours or their builders.It might also be maintenance work such as repointing before winter sets in

Happyhippy45 Mon 17-Oct-16 12:39:54

We moved into a rental property 6 years ago and our landlady started building works (a 4 bed detached house) next to us about six months or so after we moved in. 2 years of next to a building site was not good.
If she had told us this was happening we still would have moved in but wouldn't have gotten so pissed off about all the noise and disruption.

RhiannasWeave Mon 17-Oct-16 12:46:12

Nothing on the local planning portal

I'm heading out later, I'll see if I can catch the builders.

I should say that these neighbours are really nice. I think they're both a little socially awkward but will always have a quick chat. I can't at all imagine them doing anything underhand but, on the other hand, I'm surprised they didn't let us know about the work

Jaxhog Mon 17-Oct-16 12:51:41

YANBU. It's only common courtesy to tell your neighbours if you're having any building work done. I bet they'de be the first to complain if you didn't.

If they are doing anything to your shared roof, you need to find out what. Even replacing their roof tiles might affect your roof. Anything within 3 feet of a party wall needs your permission. Its entirely likely they have no permissions at all. Many small builders don't bother, but council's planners can take a dim view of this and will want to inspect the works. Talk to them ASAP.

OliviaBenson Mon 17-Oct-16 12:55:44

You need to ring building control at the council, as they will need building regulations consent. I'd speak to them first though. If they are doing a loft conversion it might be that party wall consent is needed. Other things might include removal of chimney breasts etc.

LogicallyLost Mon 17-Oct-16 13:55:53

Depends...personally if the works were only due to take a week or under, didn't interfere with access or the neighbors property (party wall \ vibrate pictures of their walls), and the noise was between 8:30 and 17:00 then no i wouldn't inform a neighbor and i wouldn't expect them to inform me.

Inertia Mon 17-Oct-16 16:15:36

We had to get a Party Wall Agreement signed by each neighbour when we had the loft converted in our old house- and the solicitors asked for copies when we sold the house.

I think it depends what the neighbours are actually doing, but it might well be the case that they should have asked you first. They might not know, but if they don't have the right documents in place it could be a hassle if they ever want to sell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now