to want to divorce the Scots

(185 Posts)
palanca Mon 17-Oct-16 10:00:46

Honestly, I have 3 BFs who are Scottish and I love the place but I am heartily sick of being threatened with another independence referendum - clearly this is just going to be repeated ad infinitum

It seems pretty clear that most Scots do not want to remain in the UK so I wish that they would just go rather than holding the sword of Damocles over the heads of everyone else in the UK. If there were a UK wide referendum on Scotland remaining in the UK, whilst ideally I'd love them to stay, I am afraid I would certainly vote for Spexit and let them get on with it rather than having to listen to the constant whinging ....

Dontpanicpyke Mon 17-Oct-16 10:01:50

smile

PoppyBirdOnAWire Mon 17-Oct-16 10:02:07

Provocative...

PoppyBirdOnAWire Mon 17-Oct-16 10:02:27

Been done to the death.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Mon 17-Oct-16 10:02:41

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bloodymaria Mon 17-Oct-16 10:02:42

Ooh, you goady thing!

MaudGonneMad Mon 17-Oct-16 10:03:06

Why is it Spexit? <misses point of thread>

Euphemia Mon 17-Oct-16 10:03:59

it seems pretty clear that most Scots do not want to remain in the UK

What are you basing that on?!

MistresssIggi Mon 17-Oct-16 10:04:05

Do your Scottish friends keep running up to you with placards saying "YES!"
Just trying to work out in what way they are threatening you.
Clearly the majority of Scottish voters do not want to be independent or the referendum result would have been different.

palanca Mon 17-Oct-16 10:04:41

yes goady but this is why I am posting here as I am not going to say this to my Scottish friends! I had not seen it on MN so apologies if been "done to death"

sorry not Spexit, nor Sexit but clearly Scexit grin

bloodymaria Mon 17-Oct-16 10:04:59

Spexit - getting rid of your glasses?

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Mon 17-Oct-16 10:05:09

Something to do with not wearing glasses any more? <guesses>

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 17-Oct-16 10:05:29

spexit confused Ootsit sounds better.

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Mon 17-Oct-16 10:05:39

Bloodymaria grin

rookiemere Mon 17-Oct-16 10:06:32

I misread the title - I thought it said divorce the Scouts, which is something I'm seriously considering since volunteering to be the scout exec secretary thinking I'd just need to type up a few meetings <bitter and missing the point entirely>.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Mon 17-Oct-16 10:07:08

Spexit? I saw that but felt it was rude to direct the OP to a grammar/language thread.

bloodymaria Mon 17-Oct-16 10:07:20

Great minds sukey!

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 17-Oct-16 10:07:22

Ah, some of your best friends are Scottish...

That makes it okay then.

Redglitter Mon 17-Oct-16 10:08:30

Most of us Scots are bloody sick of the threat of another referendum too

longdiling Mon 17-Oct-16 10:09:23

So basically you have 3 Scottish friends who are presumably banging on about the possible future referendum/independence and that means you want rid of the entire country. You do realise that three Scottish people aren't a representative sample right? Just tell them to change the subject. The Scottish people I know never even bring it up.

BeJayKayven Mon 17-Oct-16 10:10:02

With friends like you.....

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 17-Oct-16 10:12:29

Referendum you say?

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 17-Oct-16 10:13:15

If we get a divorce you can keep Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage.

<generous>

palanca Mon 17-Oct-16 10:14:00

my friends are not pro independence which is why I need to vent here as I do not speak to them about it ....

LittleLionMansMummy Mon 17-Oct-16 10:16:46

But most Scots did want to remain as part of the UK - a UK that included membership of the EU. The fact that David Cameron assured Nicola Sturgeon that the British people would vote the 'right' way in June was a key factor in determining the outcome of the Scottish referendum. They were sold a pup and the goalposts have changed considerably. I don't blame them and I wonder how many English Remainers will want to relocate North of the border if/ when Scotland get their independence. So, yabu - I suspect there are several million non Scottish people right now who wish they had the option of independence from the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now