Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to expect shop to exchange?

(20 Posts)
cwalker84 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:04:50

I bought a tube of lanolin on Saturday...checked it today and it was some cheap stretch mark oil instead. I assume that because lanolin cream is £10 and the oil clearly not that much that some sly bugger had swapped them and paid for cheaper one at till....
I don't have receipt as wasn't expecting there to be an issue. I think I'm totally reasonable in asking shop to swap but dh thinks as I have no proof that it is not up to shop to sort. Paid with debit card so could prove that way.
I am 41 weeks now and grumpy overdue so planning on hormonally crying if they refuse to swap!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 16-Oct-16 20:06:46

Ooh. I think you'll need to prove that you paid for lanolin but ended up with cheap oil. Does the oil still have the lanolin barcode on? Did you use a loyalty card? I believe they can draw up a list of purchases from that.

ConvincingLiar Sun 16-Oct-16 20:07:09

Can you explain the mechanics of the transaction? Did you buy a box with the wrong tube in it? If so, I'd definitely complain. If you give them a time and location of purchase they might be able to look it up (till/cctv). I assume no loyalty card?

Tiggywinkler Sun 16-Oct-16 20:09:35

If you email head office and explain everything to them, including when and where it was purchased, and what you'd like them to do, they'll sort it for you, and will let the manager of the store know to expect you.

(Former retail manager.)

myownprivateidaho Sun 16-Oct-16 20:09:47

Oh god, that's annoying. I'm not sure they'll do anything for you without a receipt but it's worse a try appealing to their better nature.

cwalker84 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:12:54

Thank you that was really helpful, especially tigglywinkler. Still have box. No loyalty card no.. have a whole purse full at home but never take shopping. Will email head office now.

Suze1621 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:24:07

I had a similar problem when I ought replacement windscreen wipers from Halfords and when I opened the box found it contained old used ones. Returned to the store and received an exchange without any quibble - I think the manager was as shocked as I was.

BrumBrumBishes Mon 17-Oct-16 20:31:16

I once bought a pregnancy test in superdrug and when i got in my mums car I realised it had veen opebed and test taken out!

I went straight back and felt like they would think it was me trying to get a free test! But they were very nice and said it was a common problem shock

raviolidreaming Mon 17-Oct-16 21:52:13

I had no problems in Asda when I took back a box of pain killers that was just an empty box!

SendARavenToRiverRun Mon 17-Oct-16 21:56:49

I bought hair dye from Wilkos and it had the actual colour missing ( conditioner and carrier oil plus gloves in box). I emailed and they said to return to store. It's a common problem apparently! Go for it.

ThatGingerOne Mon 17-Oct-16 21:57:54

They will probably do it so its worth a try. Just don't be that arsehole who kicks off and starts screaming at the till if you don't get your way grin Been working in retail since I was 17 and seen the worst of people! Haha

SendARavenToRiverRun Tue 18-Oct-16 13:05:41

What did you do OP?

PoppyBirdOnAWire Tue 18-Oct-16 13:09:04

OP:
Contact them. No one would go to the trouble of making this up.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Tue 18-Oct-16 13:12:17

ThatGingerOne

They will probably do it so its worth a try. "Just don't be that arsehole who kicks off and starts screaming at the till if you don't get your way grin Been working in retail since I was 17 and seen the worst of people! Haha"

Yes and we have all seen the lazy, surly, rude and unpleasant shop assistants with zero people skills.
hmm

SueTrinder Tue 18-Oct-16 13:12:20

JUst go in and explain. I once bought a bag of mango that when I opened it had nothing in. Not quite sure how I didn't realise when I bought it. Went back to the supermarket to complain and they did swap it although the assistant did give me a bit of a look. Some places (Argos) ask for your details when you take something back, presumably to check you don't do it regularly.

butterfliesandzebras Tue 18-Oct-16 13:19:13

I once once bought a boxed pair of stockings, when I took it home there was only one! Took it back assuming it was a packing error in the manufacturers end, but when the sales assistant brought a new box over and I checked it it also had one! Confused staff then found half a dozen boxes that had had a single stocking removed by some canny theif...! shock

tibbawyrots Tue 18-Oct-16 14:01:03

When I worked for bhs about 25 years ago we had to check all boxes as people shoved extra bras and knickers in or hooked 2 bras on the same hanger (it's a set hmm ) we even had people give a folded up jumper to put through the till which when unfolded to bag (don't worry just shove it in anyhow) magically had produced another jumper right inside the other one! The look on people's faces "how did that get there?" hmm

ThatGingerOne Thu 20-Oct-16 21:21:36

Poppy I didn't say all customers are like that but we all know some are and I'm sure a lot of shop retail workers who are surly have been putting up with arsehole customers for most of their shift. Not enough pay and too long hours with a short break - that's retail.

cwalker84 Sat 22-Oct-16 19:12:22

Been back and it was replaced no problem. Had emailed head office as well and they said shop should replace. Also had a wonderful mumsnetter send me a tube which was timed to perfection as arrived the same day baby did smile

tibbawyrots Sat 22-Oct-16 19:13:53

Congratulations on new baby! 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now