Talk

Advanced search

To feel vindicated

(6 Posts)
Highlandfling80 Sun 16-Oct-16 18:09:52

So Friday afternoon I was stung by a hornet. The pain was excruciating. Both my hands were affected so I panicked and booked an emergency GP appointment. I have had a similar experience recently which required antibiotics so I didn't want to bother out of hours.
Well I was basically told to go away and take piriton.
24 hours later the redness and swelling was far worse and it had blistered badly.
Emergency GP prescribed antibiotics and told me to go A and E if it worsened.
Fortunately it didn't get worse but AIBU to feel vindicated.
I get GP can only treat symptoms as presented but I was almost in tears with the pain.

acasualobserver Sun 16-Oct-16 18:11:57

Was it the same GP on both occasions? If so, you had the last laugh. Kind of.

myownprivateidaho Sun 16-Oct-16 18:19:22

But the second doctor prescribed antibiotics after the piriton didn't work... That doesn't mean it would have been right to prescribe antibiotics right away. Sorry, it sounds awful, but I don't think it sounds like the first doctor did anything wrong.

Jayfee Sun 16-Oct-16 18:20:37

I would send a letter to the practice manager to say that you had to seek further help whilst understanding gp etc. so not a complaint but so in future you get the right help. Doctors are not always right and people can get seriously ill from insect stings.

Highlandfling80 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:07:52

The 2nf GP was from another practice. I do get that upon presentation the infection wasn't so apparent but I just felt he was dismissive. Given my history I felt he could have issued a prescription which I would only use if necessary. Thus saving a visit to an emergency Gp and I could have commences treatment many hours sooner.

Highlandfling80 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:09:15

Auto-correct grr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now