Talk

Advanced search

To think 3 is too young to watch Star Wars?

(55 Posts)
MyPeriodFeatures Sun 16-Oct-16 06:54:50

My Child came back from 'Dad' saying they'd watch Star Wars. Child is just 3

KC225 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:01:40

Cannot see a 3 year old child sitting through any film longer than a peppa pig. Stars Wars may have been on but if you asked the child what it was about and I think you may get your answer

Fairylea Sun 16-Oct-16 07:10:05

I don't think they would get any of it anyway to be honest. It's not exactly Ben and Holly but it's still a family film. I don't think I would be too worried. I think I first saw it when I was about 6!

Paulat2112 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:10:27

My ds2 watched them all before he was 3. He loves them. smile

Fairylea Sun 16-Oct-16 07:11:08

The original film is a "u" certificate by the way.

Lilaclily Sun 16-Oct-16 07:11:21

I wouldn't worry

If it was the later Harry Potter films I'd be concerned

Ausernotanumber Sun 16-Oct-16 07:14:14

Star Wars is not one I'd have a problem with to be honest.

bloodymaria Sun 16-Oct-16 07:15:46

A new hope? Totally fine! What's your concern?

MyPeriodFeatures Sun 16-Oct-16 07:17:46

Ok, thanks. I.ve not seen them since 1983 or whenever the riginal came out. I just try and limit what's on screen and avoid things which might have any violence etc...for as long as I can anyway!!

needaplanjan Sun 16-Oct-16 07:18:25

I think people of a certain age often have a total blind spot about Star Wars as it's so close to their hearts. (DP I'm looking at you.)

Yes I think 3 is too young but I bet you find loads of 3 year old have watched it.

I wonder how many DC's first PG was one of the Star Wars films. I'd hazard a guess it's a fair few.

ButtMuncher Sun 16-Oct-16 07:19:55

Hmm - it depends on how well your 3 year old understands peril and death tbh, because there is some in all of the films. I wouldn't be overly concerned because most 3 years old would flit in and out of a film at the best of times and probably wouldn't conceptualise death in a fantasy world quite like an older child would. That said there is blood etc in Force Awakens (less so in the trilogy and the prequels are shit anyway) which kids more or less do understand.

My 4 week old 'watched' Empire Strikes Back but I don't think

Bruce02 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:20:05

My kids have watched them from being really young. As pp pointed out, a new hope is a 'u' rated film.

I wouldn't have an issue, besides three year old rarely sit down and take it all in.

Ausernotanumber Sun 16-Oct-16 07:20:15

I feel I should declare an interest. New hope, empire and Jedi are jut about my favourite films.

ButtMuncher Sun 16-Oct-16 07:20:19

(Hit send too soon)

I don't think that counts grin

ButtMuncher Sun 16-Oct-16 07:21:49

The original trilogy is quite light hearted in some places too - I think the deaths are treated far more as 'fantasy' and therefore are easier to minimise. Force Awakens is far more overt.

Ausernotanumber Sun 16-Oct-16 07:27:52

I think it says a lot about me that I don't even call them Star Wars blush in my head they are

New Hope

Empire

Jedi

blush

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 16-Oct-16 07:29:22

The originals are fine. Although I doubt that a 3 yearvold woukd follow the plot.

The "new" ones are darker and more violent. I took ds and some friends to see the 3rd one of the new trilogy (Phantom Menace?) for his 7th birthday thinking it would be ok. It was seriously horrible. All the children get murdered (you don't see that happening but it's talked about) and then there is a truly horrific scene at the end where Anakin Skywalker gets trapped by flowing lava and is then covered in it very slowly.

If I'd known what the film was like i wouldn't have taken them. Although they were remarkanly unfazed by it hmm

needaplanjan Sun 16-Oct-16 07:36:20

I disagree. I don't this the final fight scene between Luke and Darth Vader is in any way suitable for a 3 year old for example.

But I think people's love of the films blinds them to this.

needaplanjan Sun 16-Oct-16 07:37:58

Magical and gentle films like My Neighbour Totoro are much better viewing for 3 year olds IMO.

Believeitornot Sun 16-Oct-16 07:40:15

Too young.

I had terrible nightmares watching certain films as my child brain couldn't make sense of them. When watching them I wasn't scared at the time so any adult would have thought it fine.

What's the rush? Star Wars is not a rite of passage to mark some sort of special time in our lives unless you're a Star Wars geek

I won't let my dcs watch anything like that after ds and ds started having random dreams from seemingly innocent stuff.

TataEs Sun 16-Oct-16 07:42:26

a new hope is a U so i wouldn't worry too much. that said my 4yo loves star wars but has only ever seen the lego versions! he won't watch a full length non animated film.

DoinItFine Sun 16-Oct-16 07:49:31

I would have no issue with the first film.

It's for children.

ImogenTubbs Sun 16-Oct-16 08:00:33

My 3yo will sit through a a feature length film. I've been wondering about Star Wars as an antidote to allthebloodycinderella. wink

AlwaysWashing Sun 16-Oct-16 08:23:51

My 5 year old is very into Star Wars (and so his 3 year old brother wanted to watch them too) and we were thrilled that he wanted to watch them, some parts admittedly are a little "old".
Quite honestly I'd rather they watched Star Wars than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nick Jr and aimed directly at their age group.

WiIdfire Sun 16-Oct-16 08:26:26

I saw it a 6 or so and had nightmares about the trash compactor scene. It's one of my favourite films now, but I'd still wait til older for my children so they could enjoy it properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now