Talk

Advanced search

Its not my fault it wasn't included in the original quote... I refuse to pay £1,400!

(36 Posts)
Winniethepooer Sat 15-Oct-16 20:52:32

I'm having a conservatory fitted at the end of the month.

Architect came round on Friday.
We are having a window removed & double doors fitted.
Apparently the sales women and the surveyor missed that a lintel hadn't been included in the price. They want £1,400 to fit this lintel.

I'm really annoyed. Its not my fault. Its going to push us to the edge of our budget.

AIBU to refuse to pay?
I could end up losing the £500 deposit if i pull out now ...

Liara Sat 15-Oct-16 20:55:27

I would refuse to pay, and if they are not willing to budge on this they should be willing to return a full deposit.

It is their job to ensure that the thing they are quoting meets building regulations, so if they provided a quote which effectively doesn't, they should be willing to either do it to building regs in that quote or withdraw from the contract and reimburse your deposit.

blueskyinmarch Sat 15-Oct-16 20:57:56

I can see why you are cross about this but I think you will need to pay for the lintel.

QuiteLikely5 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:58:34

I doubt that they can keep your deposit owing to the fact they were at fault for making an error

But you don't seriously think they are going to supply and fit it for free do you?

Winniethepooer Sat 15-Oct-16 21:02:42

For what I'm spending yes but i would probably pay around £500. Its part of the reason I used a large reputable company.

Liara Sat 15-Oct-16 21:03:59

1,400 is a lot to fit a lintel in the context of a bigger job like fitting a conservatory!

BristolLFR Sat 15-Oct-16 21:08:19

Did you get quotes from anyone else?
You could argue that you haven't been able to make a fair purchasing decision as they missed that additional cost off the quote- you may have gone with someone else if they had quoted the correct price.

I doubt you'd get the lintel included in the original price, but I would expect the deposit back as the quote you paid it on wasn't correct

MoonStar07 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:09:16

That's a lot of money for a lintel!

Winniethepooer Sat 15-Oct-16 21:23:40

Anyone know what it costs to have a lintel fitted? (London prices)
Good points Bristol

BennyTheBall Sat 15-Oct-16 21:25:24

A Catnic lintel will cost you about £300 for a large opening.

£1400 is ludicrous - even with fitting.

leccybill Sat 15-Oct-16 21:26:20

I'm having a large window replaced with double doors. The original quote also did not include the lintel. It was only when the fitter came out did he say that we'd need one. It is an extra £700.
(We're in the NW).

MegCleary Sat 15-Oct-16 21:32:43

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/problem-with-home-improvements/

Lynnm63 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:38:07

They are seriously taking the piss £1400 as PP said the lintel is approx £300. They are already on site making the opening so there is a maximum of half a day to fit the lintel. Say no, I'll pay £500 and if they refuse ask for your money back.

Lynnm63 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:41:27

I just spoke to my dh he says a lot of these companies are deliberately 'forgetting' to include lintels etc then bumping up the price. You could threaten them with Trading Standards and naming and shaming on here, Twitter and FB.

Stevefromstevenage Sat 15-Oct-16 21:41:38

Why I am the lintel required surely there is one there for the window.

Stevefromstevenage Sat 15-Oct-16 21:42:30

Sorry about that I meant why is the lintel required? The window surely already has one.

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 15-Oct-16 21:45:20

I agree, surely lintel already in place, otherwise window would be unstable

Winniethepooer Sat 15-Oct-16 21:47:29

Thanks!
I am pretty clueless when it comes to building stuff but I felt they were taking the piss!

Apparently its an external concrete lintel & the current lintel isn't suffice. I thought same as you Steve

I know you can't mess about with lintels so I feel like they're holding me to ransom!

Lynnm63 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:56:22

My dh has another suggestion. Let them stick to original quote, if they won't accept £500, tell them to support the opening with Accro props and get a local builder to supply and fit a suitable lintel then they can come back and complete the installation. It will be quite safe supported by these props.

DixieWishbone Sat 15-Oct-16 21:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bogeyface Sat 15-Oct-16 21:59:07

I wonder if this is a standar "bump up the profts" stick that someone forgot rather than a) you actually needing it and b) it actually costing that much.

Get an independent quote just for fitting the lintel and go back to them with that.

Oh and FWIW, I found that it was MILES cheaper to buy the conservatory and then pay a builder to put it up. The profit on conservatories is the errection (FNAAAR!!) not the actual conservatory.

JellyBelli Sat 15-Oct-16 22:01:12

I'm sure Trading Standards would be interedted to hear about this.

Bogeyface Sat 15-Oct-16 22:01:13

eh?! Trick not stick, and of course standard!

Winniethepooer Sat 15-Oct-16 22:09:14

Lol * Bogeyface* I knew what you meant!!
Thanks

Shurelyshomemistake Sat 15-Oct-16 22:15:04

mmm, sounds like blatant profiteering. Strange it's happened after you've paid the deposit.

A good tradie will say "here are the areas where it could cost you more if we discover problems". Not just lumber you with an extra cost once you've already paid over money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now