Talk

Advanced search

Parking - AIBU!?!

(17 Posts)
RedBlu Sat 15-Oct-16 19:10:11

As I know you all love a good parking thread;

We live in a new build development, however unlike most, it has a good amount of parking, everyone has at least two parking spaces or driveway big enough for two + cars so parking is never really an issue around here.

However, our next door neighbour is really getting on my nerves. They have two cars (one each) and a driveway for two cars. Always just parked on their driveway without issue and would switch their cars around depending on who has to leave first or whatever like we all have to do.

About two months ago, I began noticing that more and more the woman would not park on the drive and would park directly outside the front door, blocking the path. Between the front door and the path is only a small "front garden" of maybe a two metres if that.

Didn't think much of it, and just assumed that she was doing as her partner needed to leave for work or something earlier than her and she didn't want to have to get up to move the car for him.

Again no issue.

However the last couple of weeks she does it all the time and her parking is moving further towards our house and now she practically parks in front of our door. Again wouldn't be an issue, our driveway provides us with ample parking and she isn't blocking it BUT she is parking on the entire pavement, completely blocking it. Meaning I open my door, and cannot physically walked to the path because her car is there. So I have to walk over my garden to get to the driveway.

My partner is saying to just forget about it, but it is pissing me off. Blocking the entire pavement isn't on irregardless of where she is parking. I also don't understand her logic as there is a space on her driveway!!

Would you say anything or should I just ignore it?

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sat 15-Oct-16 19:13:41

That would p me off, but, to be honest, in the interest of neighbourly harmony, I probably wouldn't say anything.

Perhaps one day you'll be "expecting a delivery" and could pop in and ask her to move it, saying something like, "I can barely squeeze past so there's no way the delivery driver will be able to." Cue tinkly laugh

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 15-Oct-16 19:18:59

You need to provide a diagram on a parking thread. It's the rules. grin

Damia Sat 15-Oct-16 19:33:26

I would throw something out your front door that accidentally lands on their car like dirty water with nasty stuff. Then go around and apologise how it happened as her car is right there. Repeat as often as needed.

RedBlu Sat 15-Oct-16 19:37:37

Totally didn't download a paint app....

Red blob is the car!

SirChenjin Sat 15-Oct-16 19:40:55

Just ask her if she could move her car up a bit as your shoes are getting muddy walking across your garden please and thank you <big smile>

SortAllTheThings Sat 15-Oct-16 19:41:10

Just talk to her. She's probably oblivious.

"please can you stop parking right in front of my door? I can't get to the drive without going over the garden, and it makes things tricky, ta"

Floralnomad Sat 15-Oct-16 19:42:31

Why can't she park on the road like a normal person ? Is the path still accessible for people with pushchairs / scooters / dogs to walk past .

MilkandAssal Sat 15-Oct-16 19:44:24

Pop her a card in the letter box and say she probably hasn't noticed but you can't fit through and can she shimmy down a bit.

RedBlu Sat 15-Oct-16 19:45:09

Sometimes people could squeeze past but would probably have to walk over our front gardens to get past. Other times she is basically parking on the garden...

If someone with a pram or wheelchair wanted to get past - they wouldn't.

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 15-Oct-16 19:47:30

look up if in your council you are allowed to park on the pavement. you are not allowed to in london for example.

SortAllTheThings Sat 15-Oct-16 19:47:46

She needs to move, that's just stupid.

IScreamYouScream Sat 15-Oct-16 19:48:39

Why can't she park normally on the road?

Floralnomad Sat 15-Oct-16 19:58:40

In that case you have 2 options
1) tell her it's awkward and ask her to park elsewhere ( road or drive)
2) take a cycle / buggy whatever you have to hand out one evening when it's dark and scratch all up the side of her car by simply walking along the path and see if she gets the message
Option 1 is obviously preferable as a start.

evelynj Sat 15-Oct-16 20:17:53

Yanbu-talk to her, no issue to her to move up a bit but agree she should be on road not pavement. Why isn't she?

elodie2000 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:27:24

Ask her if she would could move her car further up & leave the path outside your house free. Tell her that you're struggling to get past with buggy/ boxes/ bike and don't want to 'accidently' scratch her car as you squeeze by.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 15-Oct-16 22:24:30

Lovely diagram. Very artistic! grin

As with others I think all you can do is talk to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now