wibu or was the manager of this restaurant?

(249 Posts)
Itisraining Sat 15-Oct-16 18:48:54

Recently went to local restaurant which we go to regularly so know the manager who has a reputation for being a bit tricky. The whole group ordered from the lighter bite menu. I ordered a macaroni cheese with garlic bread (which I have never ordered before). When we came to pay, I noticed I had been charged for the large portion from the main menu(£6.50 more expensive)
When I questioned it,
the manager said, "you didn't say you wanted the small one"
I said "I didn't say I wanted the larger one either and the other one says it comes with garlic ciabatta and I said the one with garlic bread"
Him, " they are both garlic bread, madame and you didn't say which one you wanted, did you not notice that it was the larger one?"
Me, (staying very polite) "No, I have never ordered it before and why did you assume, I wanted the big one when we all ordered from the lighter bite menu?"
You, "you are an adult"
Me, "But surely if there are 2 sizes, it is up to you to ascertain which one?"
Him, getting very exasperated and irritated, "you need to see this from my point of view, oh forget it, i'll charge for the smaller one, I can't be bothered to argue" He strops off.
Left feeling quite troubled. This is somewhere we give a lot of custom to. I now feel awkward about going back.

Was I wrong to question the order? For me it was clear that the one I ordered was the small one with garlic bread NOT the one which was labelled with ciabatta.

Haggisfish Sat 15-Oct-16 18:50:35

I think yabu, sorry.

Castasunder Sat 15-Oct-16 18:50:35

Wasn't it quite a large portion though?

ollieplimsoles Sat 15-Oct-16 18:50:41

Did it look like a small portion to you?

Bettybooop25 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:52:00

YABU.

MatildaTheCat Sat 15-Oct-16 18:52:40

Did you complain when the meal arrived at the table or when you saw the bill? Big difference. Could you not see it was a large portion? Seems pretty cheap anyway TBH.

My mil regularly complains after finishing a meal...hmm

pipsqueak25 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:52:55

you can't assume, it needs to made totally clear, guess you need to suck it up this time, but if manager is tricky why eat there ? just curious.

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Sat 15-Oct-16 18:53:23

YWBU.

FeckinCrutches Sat 15-Oct-16 18:53:33

If you asked for the macaroni cheese I'd assume you meant the full size one. YABU.

LemonRedwood Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:03

I think I agree with the manager. It came, you ate, you should pay. What am I missing?

Itisraining Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:03

Genuine question. Would you mind explaining why you think I was being unreasonable? Portion size was not big.

nancy75 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:11

Yabu, it must have been obvious that yours was bigger than the things other people had?

Wolfiefan Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:14

Why two threads?

malmi Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:16

If they have two different sized dishes which are named identically they should ask you which one you want when you order. If you're ordering from the lunch menu then you might not have even looked at the main menu so you cannot be expected to know it exists. Totally the restaurant's fault.

heateallthebuns Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:41

I don't think yabu. If everyone else was ordering light bites it would be reasonable to assume you were doing the same. Or to check. Also it would be good customer service to just acquiesce even if he thought you were wrong and say oh sorry I didn't realise I'll charge you for the small one only. It'd only cost him a bit less of a mark up.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:42

I don't think YWU.

But neither would I have made a fuss.

passingthrough1 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:55:32

When a menu has a smaller and larger size I would always always specify if I want the smaller one.

NothingMoreThanFelines Sat 15-Oct-16 18:55:42

YANBU. He should have checked.

DameXanaduBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 18:56:10

Yabu. So what? You ate the big one. Pay for the big one. Jeez.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 15-Oct-16 18:56:40

When I order, if it's the large (I guess normal?) meal, I'd just order the item. Like, spaghetti bolognese or macaroni cheese or whatever. If I'd wanted a smaller one, I'd clarify - the smaller spaghetti, or the child size, or the starter sized, or whatever. I would make sure it was clear that I'd made the size I wanted clear because I'd deviated from the standard.

I don't think specifying garlic bread was enough because technically they both came with bread, and it was very possible that the waiter would assume that you'd prefer bread to ciabatta if they did consider it, rather than understanding you were using the side to set the size of the meal.

I'd take the £6.60 to him, if it was me. It sounds like you eat there a lot and have a strained relationship with the manager, which is likely to cause stress.

FeckinCrutches Sat 15-Oct-16 18:57:23

It's a bit tit for tat really. You should have specified you wanted the light bites version, but then the server should have clarified which one. Unless specified I would generally assume you were ordering a full
Portion.

DorotheaHomeAlone Sat 15-Oct-16 18:57:57

YABU. I waitressed for years and would have assumed you wanted a full meal. Also, ciabatta is bread.

Itisraining Sat 15-Oct-16 18:58:50

Mathilda the cat. I didn't complain because I thought it was a reasonable size for the price (£7) The main course one was (£13.50) I only realised when the bill came. Certainly didn't realise when I saw the meal as I have never seen this being served before.

We eat there because it is convenient.

allegretto Sat 15-Oct-16 19:01:57

YANBU £13.50 is a ridiculous price for macaroni cheese!

littleshirleybeans Sat 15-Oct-16 19:02:38

YANBU. The waiter should have double-checked if there was any doubt about the portion size. Common sense tells you that if you're ordering from the light-bite menu, then it's the light-bite portion that you want.
The manager is being a complete idiot and is just trying it on. If he values his customers, whether regular or not, he wouldn't argue with you.
I can't believe the number of people who think yabu!
And yes, I would have brought it up as well.
YANBU!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now