Talk

Advanced search

DH binned my contact lenses

(24 Posts)
Marmite27 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:30:17

And apparently I'm in the wrong to be miffed.

He set off in the car to take DD1 swimming, I went to get dressed and put my lenses in, the container is open on the shelf. My px is twice the strength as his, cue panic that he's driving wearing them.

As we have Bluetooth in the car I called, and asked was he wearing his lenses - answers yes. Asked how's your vision? - answers fine why? Well I think you're wearing my lenses not yours! Oh he says, I thought they'd gone funny because I'd not worn them for a while, so I binned them shock

As this was 10 minutes ago, I ask which bin? Well he didn't put them in the bin, he flushed them down the loo angry

Did he not consider for one moment that the lens case on my side of the shelf belonged to me, when he was chatting to me last night as I took them out and cleaned my teeth? No, because they were in his style tub! The kind we both use hmm

I asked calmly if I called the opticians if he'd call and collect the lenses on his way home which he said he would but they don't hold them in stock sad

He's lucky I found a spare pair in my work bag!

Who would just bin them with out asking? AIBU to be miffed?

QOD Sat 15-Oct-16 15:31:30

Utter dick

FiniteIncantatum Sat 15-Oct-16 15:32:37

He made a mistake. Yeah it's annoying but unless you think it was on purpose I think you need to let it go.

SinkyMalinks Sat 15-Oct-16 15:34:22

Er.. Once he'd accidentally worn them I REALLY wouldn't advise carry on using them. And considering fishing them out of a bin? shock

He should have told you, but otherwise.. YABU. Sorry.

somekindofmother Sat 15-Oct-16 15:36:40

i'd be hysterical, but that's cos i can't see at all with out mine (-9) and i can't drive with my glasses as the perspective isn't to

somekindofmother Sat 15-Oct-16 15:37:26

** isn't right.
i'd be fuming but nothing u can do now i guess

Allthewaves Sat 15-Oct-16 15:40:55

Er he made a mistake, hardly crime of century. It that what back up glasses are for?

Allthewaves Sat 15-Oct-16 15:41:21

It= isnt

UseMeUntilMyBottomWearsOut Sat 15-Oct-16 15:42:51

So he accidentally binned your contact lenses. He wasn't going to keep them if they didn't work for him.

Marmite27 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:43:47

I was wearing my glasses I'm -9.5! It was just the thoughtlessness that annoyed me - and that he'd not said anything and gone out.

And I'd have obviously cleaned them before wearing them again grin

heateallthebuns Sat 15-Oct-16 15:47:11

Yabu he made a mistake, he's only human

RhiWrites Sat 15-Oct-16 16:16:55

The other day I dropped my OH's toothbrush in the toilet. I apologised, binned it and gave him a spare toothbrush. I don't understand why your partner wouldn't twig that he'd taken your lenses and ask what he wanted you to do?

TheNewSchmoo Sat 15-Oct-16 16:32:16

Making a simple mistake doesn't make someone an utter dick.

pigsDOfly Sat 15-Oct-16 16:35:12

Does seem an odd and thoughtless thing to do. You both wear them, when he put them in and and they didn't seem quite right, wouldn't most sensible people think, oh these must belonged to the only other person in the house who wears contact lenses.

Where did he think they came from that he would just take them out and throw them away, he must have realised they were yours. And throwing them down the loo is a very odd way of disposing of them as well.

I have a complex prescription too and I have to allow 2 weeks when I order mine. I be very put out by this.

CockacidalManiac Sat 15-Oct-16 16:36:55

Utter dick

There we go, the lesser-spotted MN hysterical overreaction. See also 'LTB'.

TaraCarter Sat 15-Oct-16 18:10:51

Why would he flush them down the toilet?!

Marmite27 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:17:14

Possibly because the bathroom bin has been relocated due to an inquisitive toddler and he was rushing.

I'm not still mad, I was just a bit miffed this morning and he was annoyed I was annoyed, so I wondered if I was wrong to be annoyed blush

woodhill Sat 15-Oct-16 18:18:20

I wear dailies but this thread takes me back to when dm tipped my lenses away as the were soaking in protein tablets after hers. Remember dad unscrewing sink u bend. Or me crawling on the floor retrieving one etc etc.

He was careless. Why not put them back just in case.

TaraCarter Sat 15-Oct-16 18:19:48

He doesn't have the right to be annoyed. He should be profoundly apologetic for being such a div.

ChuckBiscuits Sat 15-Oct-16 18:22:23

There we go, the lesser-spotted MN hysterical overreaction. See also 'LTB'.

Well, to be fair, he is a dick if he took them out of the container on his wife's side and then didn't think 'oh could these be that lady that also lives here's lenses bearing in mind I have just taken them from her side of the cabinet and she also wears lenses?'. And instead of thinking 'ooh I better just tell her what I have done so we can resolve it, I will just flush them away'.

Ausernotanumber Sat 15-Oct-16 18:22:39

Get a different case.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 15-Oct-16 18:26:36

Don't share contacts - even if they're cleaned, you couldn't have worn them again. I'm glad you found some - having none is beyond annoying and they've never got my prescription in stock either, even though it's not that strong - but it's for the best that they're gone and you're not wearing them.

I'm glad he wasn't wearing them to drive too!

alphabook Sat 15-Oct-16 18:28:13

Seems like an easy enough mistake to make if you both have the same case and they're both in the same cabinet. I would be mildly annoyed but I'd get over it after a few minutes, we all make mistakes. It's just one of those things.

maisiejones Sat 15-Oct-16 18:44:48

Well as someone who was nearly blind in the days I wore lenses (have lens implants now - wonderful), I'd have wanted to string him up by the balls. I don't think people with good unassisted vision can comprehend how vulnerable it can feel when you can hardly see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now