Talk

Advanced search

to add significantly to my employers weekly shop?

(28 Posts)
CupOfJoe Fri 14-Oct-16 19:32:55

I've posted for traffic, this is up in the Nanny section too.

Hi all,
I'm a Live Out Nanny in London. I've started weaning with Little One and the parents have given me the login details for their Ocado, with the view that I add his and my food to the weekly shop - all fine.

The parents and I agree that it is good practice for the baby and I to eat meals together - which will mainly be breakfast and lunch. I will feed him his dinner but would like to eat dinner with my OH at home most nights.

The parents have been really good, said straight from the start to eat what I want from the cupboards and order stuff from Ocado for myself as Little One is currently still on mush. Moving forward, I aim to eat the same stuff as the baby.

ANYWAY, I'm really really conscious of not taking the piss with this, I'm a pretty anxious person so worry about taking food from the cupboards and am vaguely uncomfortable with ordering any expensive food on the weekly shop. I generally just eat a bit of salad food at lunchtime at the moment, to keep the food cost down.

The food I buy for the baby is organic so a bit more expensive, and even just for him and a few salad bits its working out to be £15ish extra a week and increasing as his meals do.

How much is reasonable for a Nanny to add to a shop?
AIBU to increase it by 40-50% of its "pre-baby value"? (which is what it is looking like its going to be)

The parents don't seem to eat much and are only around for dinner, so the food bill is increasing to incorporate another adult and a baby, for more meals. I'm so worried that I'm going to cause a problem. I don't like spending other people's money!

The parents are not struggling for money, have never mentioned any negative about the food I buy, and their weekly shop is in the 3 figures already - though there never is a lot of food confused

Mrsemcgregor Fri 14-Oct-16 19:37:26

I wouldn't worry, they have told you to order what you think is appropriate and they trust you. Sounds like you are doing a great job at weaning their baby and choosing lovely food for him and normalising it by eating the same yourself.

I am sure they would let you know if they were concerned!

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Fri 14-Oct-16 19:38:44

Speak to them about it! If it were me then I'd be glad my child was being fed proper food. If their shopping bill is in three figures already I doubt they'd notice the difference to add another £30 odd quid on. If you're worried speak to them but as long as you're not taking the piss and adding food that you'll eat at home with dh then I can't see how it would possibly be a problem!

Scarydinosaurs Fri 14-Oct-16 20:05:04

I don't think you'd be unreasonable- have you made a food plan for the week? Just have the mum approve that?

CupOfJoe Fri 14-Oct-16 20:29:32

Food plan is a good idea, though at the moment he's only eating pureed vegetables and a bit of meat, rice etc. (which I make for him, not packet stuff tbf)

Just talking to them does seem like the simplest option, but I'm so pants at that kind of thing.

Alorsmum Fri 14-Oct-16 20:34:27

So it's £15 a week for baby and how much for you?
Weaning is quite expensive if doing it from scratch with variety of fresh fruits and veg
Can you do a sample meal plan just for first week with cost and ask them to approve and then you know that cost is generally OK going forward
I'd try and use left over fruit and veg from baby's purée in my own meals eg in omlette or soup and fruit for dessert

PuntasticUsername Fri 14-Oct-16 20:35:39

Seriously, just talk to them! smile

Make a food plan, cost it out and present it to the parents, saying "this is what I've worked out - is it ok with you? Obviously we'll have to review it every so often as DC will eat more as they get bigger".if they do think it's too much, you can show how you might cut costs by using cheaper produce.

And feed yourself properly at lunchtime! If you were looking after my DC I'd want to know you had enough energy in you for the task! I'd pass out on "a bit of salad stuff", personally, but that's just me of course.

CupOfJoe Fri 14-Oct-16 20:41:28

£15 ish a week has been covering my lunches (Mon-Fri) and his food, not including his formula milk.

Next week, however, has come to £30 as I'm cooking two "proper" meals (Fish pie + pumpkin risotto) with the view to mashing them down to the right consistency for him. The ingredients would also make a few other bits and bobs.
I've still been tight on my own section for this though, so this number could definitely go up. I make sure to buy the "essential" stuff for me smile

I've been batching cooking purees and freezing them into special sized portions for them to give at weekends and for us to use later.

DesertIslandPenguin Fri 14-Oct-16 20:55:14

That all sounds perfectly reasonable to me. And you sound like a lovely nanny.

WingsofNylon Fri 14-Oct-16 21:16:23

I love the plan and budget idea. Then once approved you don't need to worry. Agree to review in a month or two.

You sounds like a very conscientious employee and I'm sure they would state if they had a limit.

AmeliaJack Fri 14-Oct-16 21:22:13

Why not work out a costed meal plan for now and present it to the parents and ask them to sign off on a weekly budget? Suggest that the budget is reviewed every quarter.

I'm sure they'll be pleased that you are being so responsible with their funds.

At the same time don't starve yourself!

eurochick Fri 14-Oct-16 21:26:55

We have a nanny and I'd have no problem with that. I'd only raise an eyebrow if you were adding in lots of expensive adult treat food. You are probably costing your employer at least 25k. Another few quid on food is likely to be a drop in the ocean!

Lilaclily Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:22

God you sound lovely and a great nanny, where do you live wink

HeyRobot Fri 14-Oct-16 21:30:27

You sound like a great nanny and I can't see how anyone would have a problem with that. They would probably like to be involved by seeing a meal plan and you would then be happy to have got confirmation that all is well. If they didn't trust you they wouldn't have given you the password, though, so I imagine they have every confidence in you.

Ifounddory Fri 14-Oct-16 21:34:21

I would do a food plan as well and show them that and then problem solved. You sound like you are doing a great job.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Fri 14-Oct-16 21:36:22

£30 a week wouldn't bother me in the slightest - You sound like a fabulous nanny.

I would expect they would hate to think of their nanny just having a few lettuce leaves instead of a proper lunch, because she was worried so just talk to them, £30 for you and baby on top of their weekly shop really is a drop in the ocean.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 14-Oct-16 21:50:59

Talk to them, or email them the food plan, say on a Friday, and discuss it with them on the Monday. I think this sounds fab. I had a nanny who used to feed mine microwaved fish fingers and chicken stew straight from the fridge... angry

Musicaltheatremum Fri 14-Oct-16 21:58:57

To hell with being a nanny, do you want to come and plan my meals😂😂

JellyBelli Fri 14-Oct-16 22:02:29

That sounds reasonable to me, if you are concerned write out a meal plan for the week including costs, and run it by them.
Try not to worry, they would have set a maximum budget if it were an issue. You sound very conscientious smile

Benedikte2 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:11:47

I think you ought to be eating more protein to keep your energy levels up. Lots of non expensive stuff like eggs, tinned fish etc and sliced cooked meats go a long way in pasta.
Your employers are probably spending a lot on their own lunches and yours will look cheap by comparison so I agree -- go for a meal plan.
Lucky parents and baby to have such a conscientous nanny!

Sara107 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:15:26

It doesn't sound a lot of money really. If you budget at about £1.50 per meal and you are having 2 meals a day there, that's £15 a week already. And they are buying from Ocado, so that's going to be a bit more expensive than Lidl or somewhere like that. If you are buying fresh food like lots of fruit and veg (which your employers would probably want you to do), that's not going to be cheap. I don't imagine they would have suggested this arrangement if they were worried about how much you were spending. But if you're worried just have a word and ask if they are happy with the food choices and the costs.

ohtheholidays Fri 14-Oct-16 22:29:57

So for 5 days a week for 10 meals for you and 10 meals for the baby and then some extra meals at the weekend for the baby you've only spent £30.

Honestly if you were a Nanny in our home I'd expect you to be spending about £70 a week for that.

You sound lovely and it sounds like your going to be making they're baby some lovely food,honestly if your worried like PPs have suggested I'd just write down what your thinking of doing and how much it all comes to and I bet they won't bat an eyelid.

ArseholesOnToast Fri 14-Oct-16 22:35:27

If you're adding things to the Ocado order and checking out surely they can see what you're ordering and they can tell that you're making good food choices for their baby and not taking the piss? Ocado emails saying what's been added/subtracted to an order if its changed after checking out.

Sausagepickle123 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:40:17

If you're worried just speak to your employers. Having had a number of nannies my attitude is that if they've got my kids I trust them with money! One nanny used to write me a weekly shopping list based on a meal planner, one used to go an buy food (she ate halal meat and I would rather she ate with kids so told her to go and buy meat as I couldn't get from butcher or Ocado) and current nanny just wings it from what I put in fridge and buys bits as necessary (I leave a kitty).
If anyone cooked my kids fish pie or pumpkin risotto I would be delighted!

jellyandsoup Sat 15-Oct-16 06:22:04

Having been a nanny I know where your coming from, it's tricky but weaning is quite expensive. Also you say your bosses eat out alot, this in my experience is part of the problem as all the families of worked for who eat out lots tend to veiw good in the fridge/cupboard as an optional extra! Trust me it's best to get them to realise now that you will need food in the house and that cost money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now