Child-free weddings

(129 Posts)
Googlebabe Fri 14-Oct-16 16:35:33

Are there any ladies here who had a child-free wedding but now moan when their kids are not invited to one?

It will be extremely interesting statistics.

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Fri 14-Oct-16 16:39:23

I had a child free wedding which I don't regret.

Now I have a 10 mo old DS I would total understand if someone else had a child free wedding too and he wasn't invited, but I would expect them to understand if I turned down the invitation.

littlepippip Fri 14-Oct-16 16:40:48

My friend is having a child free wedding and is very upset with family friends trying to force their children on the day. I don't get the problem myself, that's what babysitters are for. Don't know of any that have gone on to have kids themselves though XXX

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:43:48

When I got married I had my own kids there but nobody else's!

milkshakeandmonstermunch Fri 14-Oct-16 16:47:04

I invited children to mine.

I have DC now. I have no issue with other people having child-free weddings but I'd expect them to understand that I can't come.

The only ones I take issue with are the ones that say we're not having children because we want you to have a night off and enjoy yourselves. Fuck off.

LooseBerry Fri 14-Oct-16 16:50:37

My MIL got married a few years ago and her step-grandson was just a massive pain during the ceremony. It'd be great if kids sat quietly during what should be the couples moment, but some kids don't and that's why I had a child free wedding myself. It was awesome.

CakeAndChocolate Fri 14-Oct-16 16:52:48

I had a child free wedding, but it impacted on one guest only. Nobody else had young children.

I totally understand people having child free weddings, if children are there it gives the day a very different atmosphere, and in actual fact I do find it more enjoyable to go to a wedding without my DC. BUT it is a hassle for me to organise childcare and I would expect the bride and groom to understand I may not be able to attend.

BackforGood Fri 14-Oct-16 16:56:00

No.
I had a child free wedding (with one 3 month old exception)
Once I had dc, I MUCH preferred to go to other people's weddings without the dc.

NicknameUsed Fri 14-Oct-16 16:57:34

"I don't get the problem myself, that's what babysitters are for."

Well, lucky you having a babysitter on tap. Not everyone has this luxury. If they did there wouldn't be any threads about child free weddings would there. D'oh!

switswoo81 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:58:51

I only had dh's nephews at wedding. Cannot imagine anything worse than bringing my 20 mo to a wedding. Have never heard of non family members children being invited to a wedding tbh

Quimby Fri 14-Oct-16 17:02:58

Not female but had a child free wedding bar my nephew.
He was invited because he's awesome and he's the only kid who's life I was even remotely involved in.
Fuck having my friends or cousins kids tbh.
But if any of them couldn't make it due to childcare I would have understood.

Slave2thecat Fri 14-Oct-16 17:03:25

We had a child free wedding excepts couple of children who we knew the parents couldn't leave due to no child minders / special circs.

I was a little bit sad that DSC couldn't go to a friends child free wedding therefor DH couldnt either - but I didn't moan about it at all. Their choice we dealt with it.

I did however moan that a different non child free wedding was spoilt by horrible children talking, shouting and making lots of noise through the ceremony and dinner.

Quimby Fri 14-Oct-16 17:05:15

"If they did there wouldn't be any threads about child free weddings would there. D'oh"

You're greatly underestimating some of the "we come as a family" posters before.

Or the ones who've decided that their interpretation of weddings being about the family "and that means all of the family" being universally applied regardless of what the couple want

Soubriquet Fri 14-Oct-16 17:09:44

Nope.
Children were invited to mine.

However I would happily attend a child free wedding. Even if it means paying for a babysitter

Fluffsnuts Fri 14-Oct-16 17:10:33

We had a child free wedding. I now have a child. I've been invited to 2 child-free weddings since. One I didn't attend as DS was a bottle refuser so couldn't b left (he was 3 months old) and one is next month and the baby sitter is booked.

I didn't ask if he could come to the first wedding, and the bride said after I should have and it'd be fine but also understood why I could't attend.

As a guest I have a choice as to whether to attend or not. I may choose not to attend for a variety of reasons, however for me, DS not being invited is not an issue, unless I can't get childcare. But that's my issue not the bride and grooms. Just as I sometimes decline evening invitations for birthdays or nights out due to babysitting issues.

NicknameUsed Fri 14-Oct-16 17:10:43

I stand corrected grin

Showgirl109 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:13:17

We had children at our wedding. Children were in no way disruptive to the day.

I have a newborn and am taking her to a child free wedding. After asking me to do the flowers they couldn't really ask me not to bring my breastfed newborn with me.

I don't get the issue with children at weddings - particularly children of close family, other than the cost what's the issue? I find it incredibly irritating to be told we having a child free weddding as an excuse for you to have a night off. It's patronising to think that you know what's best for me and my family. If you want a child free wedding just say that don't patronise me and say it's for my benefit.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Oct-16 17:13:53

I had a child free wedding. Don't regret it at all!

ByeByeLilSebastian Fri 14-Oct-16 17:14:21

We had immediate family children at our wedding. My friend had to bring her child as last minute arrangements fell through and I didn't want her to miss it.

I don't mind being invited to child free weddings. Can't always make it though.

Cococrumble Fri 14-Oct-16 17:14:37

We had family children at the wedding (four of my husbands nieces and nephews - all under seven) but no others.

What hugely annoyed me was that a family friend turned up at the church with a two year old who babbled and shrieked all through the ceremony regardless of being told that she wasn't invited. It wasn't a childcare issue as her parents also turned up to the ceremony to watch hmm then took the child home so the family friend could get drunk at the reception.

As well as going against our wishes, this massively pissed off friends who had arranged childcare for their own children but still had to put up with a screeching toddler.

I completely agree with people having childfree weddings if they choose to do so, and that hasn't changed now I'm a parent. we were invited to a wedding this December but unfortunately we don't have childcare available for that day so we won't be attending, it's just one of those things and I'd rather my friends have the day they want than impose my baby on them just so I could attend.

ThoraGruntwhistle Fri 14-Oct-16 17:15:11

My children were at my wedding. I would be pissed off to be invited to one where they were left out. It pretty much implies that the couple don't think children can behave.

Quimby Fri 14-Oct-16 17:16:23

"I stand corrected"

I'm a veteran of the child free threads, they're always great for a laugh.

SocksRock Fri 14-Oct-16 17:18:10

I had loads of children at my wedding, my own 2 plus about 15 others. Now I'm older and wiser, I love a good excuse to go out without the children, child free weddings are awesome :-)

adogcalledbert Fri 14-Oct-16 17:18:29

We had a child free wedding. We didn't have nephews and nieces at that point and none of our close friends had DC.
A cousin bought her 2 year old anyway, he was well behaved and it didn't notice him until halfway through the Reception.

Our teenage DC have never been to a wedding with us. When they were little we organised childcare so we could party with our mates and when they got older they didn't want to go.

I prefer a child free wedding really.

Showgirl109 Fri 14-Oct-16 17:18:47

. It pretty much implies that the couple don't think children can behave.

This.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now