Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked at how many dogs still have their tails docked.

(8 Posts)
fakenamefornow Fri 14-Oct-16 15:22:06

Just that really.

Why do they chop their tails off? Just seems cruel and unnecessary.

fakenamefornow Fri 14-Oct-16 15:23:28

I might add, I was looking for a puppy and lots of dogs advertised as 'already docked. wtf?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 14-Oct-16 15:24:37

Working dogs are allowed to be docked, I would guess you are specifically looking for a working breed.

statetrooperstacey Fri 14-Oct-16 15:31:32

It's ilegal now, but I think people find a way round it. There are a lot more tails around now than there used to be tho. I can still remember when I first saw a rottie with a tail and a boxer and Doberman they looked really strange because I wasn't used to it. Now tho I'm always surprised when I see a docked one, I personally rarely see one where I live.
LotS of puppies and dogs from Ireland and po land popular now as cheaper and I think they have different laws.
Some people will also dock it themselves or damage it in some way so a vet will have to remove it. You're right tho very cruel.

TheCatsMother99 Fri 14-Oct-16 15:37:37

I agree. Years ago we had a dog whose breed usually had a docked tail, we specifically told the breeder we didn't want her tail docked (and she didnt), it was crazy that we had to ask this though as the dog wasn't going to be a working dog in any way.

We used to get so many compliments on the fact she had a tail, bless her.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 14-Oct-16 15:39:31

Yanbu it's outdated and cruel. Same with cropped ears, Just unnecessary and painful.

My friend has a boxer with a whole tail and it's so much a part of his personality I can't imagine him being without it. You do see more boxers with tails these days, and i think it's much better that way!

Soubriquet Fri 14-Oct-16 15:54:41

I actually think some dogs still need their tail docking occasionally. American bull terriers and boxers are two of them. They have long thin whippety tails and the amount of times I have seen their tail split because of the amount it wags is amazing. It takes so long to heal and then it's usually broken again! It's a never ending cycle and the poor dog is in agony every time

maninawomansworld01 Fri 14-Oct-16 23:44:43

Tail docking for aesthetic purposes is (rightly) illegal but working dogs are exempt.
it must be done by a qualified vet before the pup is 5 days old (bones haven't fused so it's no worse than ear piercing apparently) and the person having it done must show evidence that the pup is destined for a life of work, normally this takes the form of a letter from a gamekeeper stating that the said person regularly works on his shoot or from an employer who uses the person for pest control involving the dogs. A valid shotgun or firearm licence is also acceptable proof.

I have spaniels which are all docked, I use them for shooting and tail injuries on in docked dogs can be horrific. I have seen undocked dogs work and get injured tails. It's not nice, lots of blood, infections, repeated vets visits, pumping the poor things full of antibiotics and constantly re dressing their bleeding tails. It's just awful and is so easily avoided.

Many dogs (including mine) also have their dew claws removed at the same time (the dew claw is a redundant toe a few inches up the leg a bit like a thumb but up above the joint), I've seen them get ripped off and Christ it is horrible. Again, 2 seconds work with minimal pain when the dog is born avoids a whole load of suffering later on.

Scotland used to have a total ban on docking / dew clawing and have just introduced the working dog exemption to come into line with England and Wales after an awful lot of scientific research, evidence from vets etc.
They only brought in the ban after the left wing bods in power up their thought it would be a good way to stick it to the 'posh' shooting community and bugger the poor animals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now