Talk

Advanced search

An utterly thrilling question about showers.

(13 Posts)
FlapsTie Fri 14-Oct-16 12:08:52

It's more of a ponder.

How the Jeff does our shower get so filthy? I clean it every week, and every week the grout is orange, the tray is slimy and there are black bits round all the seals and doors.

I don't get it. Showers should be, by definition, self cleaning up to a point.

Do I live in a family of mingers? Do all showers get this grubby? And does anyone have these deep questions while cleaning?

MerryMarigold Fri 14-Oct-16 12:10:29

Wow, how many of you are there? Is the mould completely going? Clean with a mould remover. My shower doesn't get that bad, but it's basically 3 adults, and I doubt anyone wees in the shower...

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Fri 14-Oct-16 12:11:28

I spray mine with method shower spray when I'm done. It stops the ickyness. To a point.

Bottom of my curtain gets grimy so fast. I need to wash the curtain again. Thinking a shower screen might me a better option.

My DC is like fluff bunny meets bin goo. A right minger. Sticky icky prints from feet and fingers everywhere.

FlapsTie Fri 14-Oct-16 12:12:21

Four of us who use it daily. The mouldy bits are just surface, it comes of with a scrub.

I suspect it's a yes to shower weeing pointing no fingers.

VenusOfWillendorf Fri 14-Oct-16 12:16:46

It's all about ventilation. You need to make sure the shower tiles/glass is swiped down, and a window or extractor fan is keep on as long as there's still steam in the room, or mould and mildew will grow. And keep an eye on the grouting, any chips or cracks are a breeding ground for moulds.

EsmesBees Fri 14-Oct-16 12:18:05

Get some of the daily shower shine spray. It helps form a bit of a grime barrier. And make the family use a squeegee to remove the excess water after using it.

FlapsTie Fri 14-Oct-16 12:42:12

Ah. It's a windowless ensuite, although it does have an extractor fan. That probably explains some of it.

I have got some shower shine stuff, I just need to train everyone to use it.

mysistersimone Fri 14-Oct-16 13:41:28

Unless you clean daily it's going to happen. Poor ventilation and standing water create mould and orange slime. Sprays are good but wiping excess water away at the end is good but then who has the time to faff doing that? Maybe a quick wipe over at the end of the day.

c3pu Fri 14-Oct-16 13:49:41

What type of extractor do you have?

You can get a humidistatic one, which will come on if the humidity is above a certain point which may help dry it out a bit better.

If you ever get the shower re-done, consider getting some shower panels rather than tiles. No grout to go mouldy!! :D

palanca Fri 14-Oct-16 13:55:50

but wouldn't the shower wee actually help with the grime - ie it is quite acidic?!

TheViceOfReason Fri 14-Oct-16 14:07:51

Do you use bar soap or shower gel? Since i convinced my OH to swap to gel from soap the orange scum is all but gone from our shower.

user1472640125 Fri 14-Oct-16 15:23:43

We had a brand new bathroom fitted last year. A few months ago noticed the grout on the lower levels around shower turning colour. We have since found out that despite a huge window in our bathroom which we open after showers, our radiator and fan which I think is huge isn't big enough for the room, despite me cleaning the bathroom all the time! We have since brought a dehumidifier which we stick on for a few hours after everyone has showered. Makes a massive difference and you would be amazed at the water that comes out of the room! X

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Oct-16 15:27:49

No more orange scum since we've swapped to bar soap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now