Advanced search

To consider relocating 150 miles away

(17 Posts)
Mooey89 Fri 14-Oct-16 11:32:49

DP is not from here. He is from a small city 150 miles away. We both love it there.

Where we currently live (south coast) is very deprived, high crime rate, bad schools (accords the city). We can just about afford a reasonable house in an ok part.

Proposed city has very low crime rate, great schools, better wages for our in demand jobs. Housing much much cheaper.

DS is 3.5 and not yet in school.

He sees his (abusive) father eow.

We are seriously considering the move, DS though would then have to stay overnight at his fathers perhaps once a month in order to continue contact due to dustabxe.

It's a huge move but would greatly improve our quality of life.


Lovewineandchocs Fri 14-Oct-16 11:35:51

If he can still keep the same level of contact with his father, I don't see why you wouldn't move. It sounds much better than where you currently live. Do you think your ex will have a problem with it?

Didiusfalco Fri 14-Oct-16 11:37:35

It sounds like a no brainer if your quality of life will improve that much. What's the city?

Mooey89 Fri 14-Oct-16 11:38:25

His father will hit the roof.

City is Norwich.

BugPlaster Fri 14-Oct-16 11:44:36

Do it. As long as your son won't be at risk on those visits to his father?

Ifounddory Fri 14-Oct-16 11:47:01

Do it. As long as your son won't be at risk on those visits to his father?

This. You just need also to be prepared to do more running with visits as you moved. I think the move would be very beneficial to you though by the sounds of it. A good father would respect this.

Mooey89 Fri 14-Oct-16 11:48:20

He would have to be staying at Grannies house with ExH visiting, rather than staying at dad's.

Contact with Dad is never going to be great. That is a big worry for me. Currently risk is managed because he only goes during the day for short periods.

Lovewineandchocs Fri 14-Oct-16 12:05:18

Is there a court order in place for contact? Why will he hit the roof?

tinyterrors Fri 14-Oct-16 12:05:37

As long as you can keep ds safe during contact, and also do all the travel involved, then I say go. You can get a better house, have more money coming in and have better schools, it's a no brainer.

Mooey89 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:12:57

He will hit the roof because he can. He is the most unreasonable person in the world.

No court order.

Lovewineandchocs Fri 14-Oct-16 12:21:18

If he wants to stop you, he'll have to go to court. Your DS will have the same level of contact if you move, albeit you'll have to do a bit more running to facilitate it. Can he go to his dad's for short periods while you visit other friends, for example? Given that contact can remain more or less the same, I wouldn't factor your ex's disapproval into your decision. Is the plan for you and your DP to get jobs in Norwich first?

pinkdelight Fri 14-Oct-16 12:21:52

How long have you been with DP? Is it a stable, happy long-term relationship? Sorry, don't wish to sound like an interfering bore, but you say your DC is only 3 and the father was abusive, and sometimes these patterns can repeat themselves, so before you up sticks and throw your lot in with DP in his home town, it's worth taking stock. Have you lived together as a family already?

Just on the abuse front, presumably you don't mean your ex is abusive to your DC, or he wouldn't be able to see him unsupervised anyway?

Lovewineandchocs Fri 14-Oct-16 12:22:15

BTW I don't think he would be able to stop you going if it can be shown that it's the best thing for your DS.

Believeitornot Fri 14-Oct-16 12:24:51

If his father is abusive, why does he have contact? Do you worry about your ds?

And who suggested moving to Norwich? Was it a joint decision?

madgingermunchkin Fri 14-Oct-16 12:29:03

Do it.

And secretly hope that the abusive arse loses interest as it's too much effort so your DS is free

Mooey89 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:32:54

Been with DP for a year, but worked together for much longer.

Both social workers.
Lived together for 6 months, very stable, very happy.

DS has contact still because ex is abusive to me rather than him, so I am trying to keep up a relationship whilst minimising the risk of harm.

Good idea about visiting friends actually - I could even stay with my mum one weekend a month and deposit DS for contact for a few hours sat and then few hours sun.

Feeling more and more like this could work!

Lovewineandchocs Fri 14-Oct-16 12:44:00

Go for it! Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now