To not get slippers?

(190 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1476140278 Fri 14-Oct-16 09:24:14

I just don't understand the need for slippers. I know people get cold feet...I do...so I wear socks.

If I need to go outside I put on shoes or flip flops...I wouldn't go outside in slippers and then wear them on the carpets...

My friend is insistent her children wear slippers indoors all the time.

She says they might slip over on the floor...mine never slipped! We, like her have hard floors...if their feet are all day in shoes and slippers, when do they get a chance to...I don't know...be free!?

Losgunna Fri 14-Oct-16 09:28:29

Not at all. I don't get them either. I have about six pairs, all unworn Christmas presents. I get cold feet too and have hard floors. DS is almost always barefoot as am I. If either of us gets cold we put grippy socks on (because we are both clumsy AF and do slip on the floor in normal socks).

But slippers? Nah don't do anything for me.

If I need to go outside I'll put shoes on. If I don't need to go outside I don't need shoes, of any description!

londonrach Fri 14-Oct-16 09:32:01

Because it stops my toes being banged, because if i walk on lego it doesnt hurt, because its warmer than socks....

TaterTots Fri 14-Oct-16 09:34:18

I developed plantarfacistic (not the real name, but you get the jist) from walking around in bare feet on hard floors. Buy the slippers.

pipsqueak25 Fri 14-Oct-16 09:37:32

for personal choice i prefer socks but would put on shoes [slip on] to put the rubbish outside in bin or put out washing on line. don't like the idea of going out in socks for that, plus i get cold toots grin. not a slipper gal at all.

Afreshstartplease Fri 14-Oct-16 09:37:37

I love my slippers

They come close second to the bath on my list of favorite comforts

LotisBlue Fri 14-Oct-16 09:38:19

Because I have cold hard floors, and even the fluffiest socks aren't enough.

Because they are quicker to slip on for middle of the night wees.

Because there are normally bits of squished food / small plastic toys waiting for me to tread on them.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 14-Oct-16 09:41:41

I didn't get slippers either until I got middle aged and my feet were permanently frozen (no carpets, all hard floors). Socks didn't cut it any more: it had to be slippers. It's been downhill from there. I've now moved on to furry-lined slippers and am looking into sheepskin bootees. I fully expect that by next winter I'll be wearing one of those big fleecy heated single slippers that you buy in the free catalogue that falls out the Sunday paper. Don't do it, OP. Resist the slipper. Save yourself!

Huldra Fri 14-Oct-16 09:42:56

They're not compulsory.

I like big fluffy socks for the house but have slippers that I wear in the kitchen sometimes. They stop my socks getting damp or mucky, I'm a messy person.

We have all hard flooring and no one has accidents slipping over, despite mainly socks or bare feet confused

Fluffsnuts Fri 14-Oct-16 09:42:59

I love my slippers! Warmer than socks. I wear them with fluff socks for extra cosy tootsies!

museumum Fri 14-Oct-16 09:46:31

I make my ds wear slipper socks. His normal socks fall off and he does slip in the kitchen in socks as he runs about.

ElspethFlashman Fri 14-Oct-16 09:49:09

Socks don't cut it for me either.

But slippers are crap unless you buy spendy ones like Ugh ones or similar. The cheap ones are made of fleecey cardboard that you can't wear in the garden.

So this year I bought a pair of Birkenstock mules instead - the old fashioned Boston ones in felt. They're surprisingly warm, proper orthopaedic and suitable for running out to the line. I do wear comfy socks with them for extra snuggliness though.

BadToTheBone Fri 14-Oct-16 09:50:09

I do a mixture of both depending I my mood/what I'm doing/what is immediately on hand. I currently have 3 pairs of slippers in various rooms, socks only get worn once so are either in a drawer or the wash. Lol

I also agree with a pp, I didn't wear slippers till my middle age.

BowieFan Fri 14-Oct-16 09:53:12

We all wear slippers. Mainly because the hall and kitchen are cold hard floors, we've got wood floors in the dining room and tiles in one of the bathrooms. You'd probably die if you tried walking around in your socks in this house.

Plus, when I get home and get out of my work clothes, I can just pop my slippers on and wear them for the rest of the night - I don't have to go finding my slip on shoes if I want to put the cats outside or put something in the bin.

dowhatnow Fri 14-Oct-16 09:53:18

But they get in the way of curling your feet up on the sofa.
And if I'm upstairs they are downstairs. If I'm downstairs then I'm upstairs.

Nah

PickAChew Fri 14-Oct-16 09:53:44

I just buy cross for the arch support

PickAChew Fri 14-Oct-16 09:54:32

Crocs

BowieFan Fri 14-Oct-16 09:54:38

Plus, it only took one instance of me standing on a plug or a piece of Lego to put me off bare feet for life. DS1 as a kid used to leave lego everywhere and DP was always standing on them. Now he has finally come round to slipper world!

BowieFan Fri 14-Oct-16 09:55:32

dowhatnow You just slide them off your feet when you want to curl up on the sofa. Pretty easy really, they're slip on and slip off.

dudsville Fri 14-Oct-16 09:57:16

Oh, slippers, house shoes, fleece lined grippy socks, are all some of the best things in the world. Bare feet is fine, especially in summer, but in winter the above named footwear is the bees.

Itmustbemyage Fri 14-Oct-16 10:00:43

It seems to be a very personal thing, I wear slippers indoors all the time, my feet get cold even in those special TOG rated socks. I am older now but have always worn slippers. My DS's and DH never wear slippers and I don't understand why they don't need slippers and they don't understand why I do. I would never wear them out of the house tho the whole idea of them, to me anyway, is to be able to change out of outside shoes when in the house. I have gardening type clogs I keep at the door for hanging out washing etc.

NattyTile Fri 14-Oct-16 10:04:16

Your feet, your choice, obviously!

Personally I get fewer chilblains if I have slippers rather than just socks. And my slippers are very very soft sheepskin, but do have soles, so I can nip out to the bins without putting shoes on (do this in socks but my toes either freeze or I end up with damp socks), and walk over puddles on the floor without worrying too.

Don't insist on slippers for my children, but they also don't get much sympathy from me if they stub a toe and they weren't wearing them.

And the Lego/Hama bead thing.

honeycrumpet Fri 14-Oct-16 10:10:34

By the time it gets to December/January I'm in 2 pairs of socks AND big fluffy slippers. I have awful circulation (Raynaud's phenomenon) and need a million layers to keep my extremities warm. The added bonus is a bit of padding between my feet and anything I might accidentally step on e.g. plugs etc. I know I'm an extreme case but I don't see how you can't imagine why anyone would want to wear an extra layer on their feet!

cherryplumbanana Fri 14-Oct-16 10:17:50

You are free to be bare foot indoors all year round if you like.

I am too cold, socks are not enough to keep me warm, even on carpets. I put shoes on when friends are around, so they don't feel they have to take their shoes off - which I absolutely hate downstairs, but I find slippers more comfy.
My kids wear them to keep them warm too. I agree with above, worth buying an expensive pair. I never wear them bare feet anyway, I wash my socks daily.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 14-Oct-16 10:31:38

I agree, my slippers always end up getting ruined by me going outside in them eg to hang out washing or put the bins out. I've started leaving a pair of crocs by the back door to slip on for such occasions. And then I just wear a cosy pair of socks indoors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now