Talk

Advanced search

to not move my bike?

(75 Posts)
HeyNannyNanny Thu 13-Oct-16 13:18:51

We live on the 5th floor of a block of flats. There are two apartments per floor with a wide and spacious hallway between them.
There is a large underground car park with bike racks.

As the nights got darker, I began to bring my bike up the elevator and park it in the hallway outside our flat.
It is not in anyone's way at all, cannot be seen by anyone except those in our flat, does not block any entrances/exits and does not pose a health and safety risk. The hallway is only used for entering and exiting the front door of the flat and not for spending time in.

The reason I leave my bike there rather than in the car park seems fair: the car parkis very difficult to get in and out on a bike, involves a long twisting ramp designed for cars which is completely blind - it takes a huge amount of energy to get up on a bike and a lot of drivers whiz down it at high speed making it dangerous.
The alternative exit involves four flights of concrete stairs.

The bike racks are also packed with bikes, literally stacked one on top of the other in a heap.

As it gets darker, the car park doesn't feel very safe - there are no cameras and a lot of corners and cubby spaces.

Getting down into the car park, unlocking my bike and getting otvout adds an extra 15 mins onto my commute and is physically exhausting.

The conceroerge has now stuck up signs in our hallway banning bikes being kept outside flats, stating there is plenty of space in the car park.

AIBU to want to keep my bike in the hallway? It honestly isn't impacting anyone's life in anyway and is not an eyesore. We do, however, have a very passive aggressive housemate who has control issues and form for making points via a third party (she called the police on a previous housemate for making noise in the corridor and launched an environmental health investigation against her own flat to make a point about noisy housemate)

HeyNannyNanny Thu 13-Oct-16 13:19:25

That was long blush

Matchingbluesocks Thu 13-Oct-16 13:20:13

As someone who works for a management company like yours- it's a fire hazard.

Also one bit of "stuff" breeds more so you have to nip it in the bud with a zero tolerance policy.

Yabu

Matchingbluesocks Thu 13-Oct-16 13:20:59

Best thing is to bring it inside if you can't use the bike park

Giratina Thu 13-Oct-16 13:21:43

Get a folding bike and keep it in your flat?

thecitydoc Thu 13-Oct-16 13:21:48

you should take your bike inside the flat

Lapinlapin Thu 13-Oct-16 13:23:12

Well I can see why they don't want you leaving it in the hall, but I can also see why you don't want to leave it in the car park.

Can you get in touch with the concierge and explain? It sounds like they need more bike racks. Perhaps you could ask for some?

HeyNannyNanny Thu 13-Oct-16 13:23:21

But surely there is only so much "stuff" one can keep in a hallway? There is no room inside flat. Actually there is but pyscho flatmate would burst a vein if I bought it in

Ncbecauseitshard Thu 13-Oct-16 13:23:43

My place told people to remove door mats from outside doors, saying they were a trip hazard if there was a fire and it was dark dark.
I don't think you are unreasonable but your building management do, and will side with your housemate, so you'll probably have to move it. Or move.

YelloDraw Thu 13-Oct-16 13:24:21

Just bring it inside.

You can't keep piles of crap outside your flat, you need to keep everything inside (or on your balcony if you have one). And yes, your beloved bike is a pile of crap to other people!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 13-Oct-16 13:24:45

Yes - it's a fire hazard to have things in the corridor. It needs to be clear incase of evacuation or the fire brigade needing to come in during poor visibility, etc.

The carpark sounds awful, so your choices are to use that, find somewhere else to leave your bike and walk to it, or put it inside your flat.

Plus you'll find that all sorts of clutter pops up once people get used to the bike. Furniture, pushchairs, etc... Which might not bother you, but likely will bother the management company.

Matchingbluesocks Thu 13-Oct-16 13:25:02

Loads of stuff can be kept in a hallway. We had an incident where someone stacked it all up blocking someone's front door and set fire to it

Is there any way to secure your bike where it is now? I would be concerned it might 'go missing' since a sign has gone up and would keep it in my room on a wall mount.

ThirdTurd Thu 13-Oct-16 13:25:52

I'd be annoyed if I was your neighbour, sounds like it makes the hallway look messy.

Take it inside your own flat.

HeyNannyNanny Thu 13-Oct-16 13:30:47

We had an incident where someone stacked it all up blocking someone's front door and set fire to it

Well damn, that was my long term plan. Foiled.

I get the fire hazard thing but I'm probably not explaining it right. I'd take a photo but I'm not at home. You literally cannot trip over it, its not near any doors or windows, to get to the flats is clear - the bike is nowhere near anything - there is no purpose for that bit of hallway (the architect missed a trick for a studio flat there) you don't even have to walk past it.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 13-Oct-16 13:30:56

Crossposts with everyone! Poor internet on this train...

Anyway, YABU, unfortunately. If your flatmate vetoes keeping it inside, it's either finding a bike shed to walk too and securing it there, or using the carpark.

HeyNannyNanny Thu 13-Oct-16 13:31:57

Take it inside your own flat.

I can't.

Pseudonym99 Thu 13-Oct-16 13:35:23

If the hallway is full of smoke during a fire people won't see it and it will cause an obstruction. It could also be stated in the landlord's insurance policy? Or in a fire certificate from the fire brigade?

user1476140278 Thu 13-Oct-16 13:37:08

YABU and I say that as a cyclist and one time flat dweller.

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 13-Oct-16 13:37:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffsnuts Thu 13-Oct-16 13:43:15

Whilst I don't think that you are being unreasonable I can see why the management company are against it. And whilst you put your bike there and it isn't a trip/ fire hazard they can say it's ok to put things in that bit of the hall bit not other bits.

EleanorofCastile Thu 13-Oct-16 13:43:46

I do not think you are being unreasonable OP, but I doubt you will win this as the management company will refer you to the bike racks they have provided. There is probably something in all the leases which prevents storage in the communal areas. And they will say it's a fire hazard too (but won't bothered about the safety aspect of entering/exiting the car park by bike probably!).

Remembermyname Thu 13-Oct-16 13:48:18

YABU. I've lived in several blocks of flats where bike owners brought them in and left them outside their flats and (a) it made the place look untidy and (b) there were always marks on the walls/carpets from the bikes. Particularly annoying when the place had just been painted (and the service charge increased to pay for it)

RhiWrites Thu 13-Oct-16 13:49:08

I would challenge the management company on the space provided for bikes. Take pictures of the dark carpark with the bikes stacked on top of bikes and ask for proper lighting and more bike racks.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 13-Oct-16 13:50:53

My old flat mate used to haul her bike through the place, refuse to leave it outside in our (secure) garden and prop it up in the bloody kitchen. Occasionally she'd haul it upstairs when she went away and scuff all the walls. It was annoying and selfish.

I can see where you're coming from but rules are rules. If you're keeping your bike inside others will start doing it too. That's why there's bike racks in the car park I presume. I'd lobby for more lights or whatever in the car park and another bike rack.

Or if you really don't feel safe going into the car park when it's dark take public transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now