Talk

Advanced search

OCD!!!

(16 Posts)
lightcola Thu 13-Oct-16 10:23:22

Arrrrggghh!! This is a huge annoyance of mine. People saying they are OCD because they like a tidy house or things in a certain order. NO!! you are not living with obsessive compulsive disorder, you are just a very particular how you like something to be done. I don't have OCD, I don't know anyone who has it, but it makes me seethe when people use it so flippantly when there are people out there who genuinely have it effect their daily life.

AIBU??

Thefitfatty Thu 13-Oct-16 10:26:21

YANBU. It's the same as people saying they're depressed when they are just sad or having a bad day.

My DH is OCD. It manifests as counting things, hoarding and obsessing about the order of information and how accurate it is (hard to explain that one, but basically, don't exaggerate things or tell him little white lies if he's off his meds unless you want him to stress about it and go over an over again about it for hours). When I tell people he's OCD everyone says "well at least your house must be spotless!" No. angry

BitchQueen90 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:28:00

YANBU. I've also seen people saying "I'm so bipolar" when they have a couple of mood swings. I don't have MH problems but I work with people who do and I would never remark on them so flippantly.

badtime Thu 13-Oct-16 10:32:27

YANBU

I have (fairly mild, in the great scheme of things) OCD (and nobody is OCD), and it is not just cleaning/handwashing/touching things a particular number of times etc (although it can include any of these), it can absolutely ruin people's lives.

Here is a helpful article from a humour site:
www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-no-one-tells-you-about-having-ocd/

badtime Thu 13-Oct-16 10:33:11

I repeat, nobody IS OCD.

lightcola Thu 13-Oct-16 10:36:10

That also annoys me badtime nobody "is OCD". They are living with OCD.

Chocolateraisins123 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:36:43

as someone who is actually seeing a therapist for my OCD. This makes me SO angry. They literally have no idea what it is like

BankWadger Thu 13-Oct-16 10:40:53

YANBU.

It should not be used as an adjective. You have OCD, you are compulsive, you are obsessive/obsessed. Very different things and you can be the later two without suffering the first.

I fucking hate OCD, it's ruining my marriage.

Thefitfatty Thu 13-Oct-16 10:43:43

Sorry. I have ADHD and constantly say I'm ADHD. I do it without thinking. So sorry if I offended anyone.

AllegraAlmond Thu 13-Oct-16 10:54:00

yanbu at all!

user1467976192 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:56:22

My mum lives with OCD hers is cleaning, therefore when I clean I have some habits that come across as OCD like, they are not they are learned behaviour

bobcat85 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:57:10

Complete agree, I hate how trivialised OCD is sometimes. It's horrible thing which completely controls your life to the extent you can't get away from the negative thoughts and 'rituals'.

I saw a therapist about 10 years ago now about my OCD and I'd recommend anyone else suffering with OCD to go and see their doctor and ask for a referral. It has helped and although it does flare up now and again when I'm stressed it is much better than it was several years ago.

badtime Thu 13-Oct-16 10:59:27

Thefit , I don't find it offensive, it is just that I feel like people don't realise that by saying that they seem to be reducing people to a condition or disorder. I just want people to stop saying it in general, although anyone can say whatever they like about themselves.

(Also, since I was about 5 one of my obsessions was about accuracy in language, as I get very worried about people being embarrassed if they say things wrong)

Vulty Thu 13-Oct-16 10:59:43

Thank you! I suffer from ocd as does my friend. It is the most frustrating condition. I also have extreme anxiety so on a bad day the anxiety triggers the ocd and on come the compulsions! YANBU

Thefitfatty Thu 13-Oct-16 11:03:43

Thefit , I don't find it offensive, it is just that I feel like people don't realise that by saying that they seem to be reducing people to a condition or disorder. I just want people to stop saying it in general, although anyone can say whatever they like about themselves.

No I do realize that, and I've corrected people for it in the past. But I also type faster than I think, which sometimes leads to some cock ups like this time!

frankie001 Thu 13-Oct-16 11:10:09

Yanbu. Having ocd is not quirky, or twee, its fucking awful. Its having life controlled by negative feelings of pure dread and panic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now