Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to give our baby the surname Georgeson-Johns?

(280 Posts)
AshtonBacks Thu 13-Oct-16 00:08:58

Not much else to it! grin

pinkyredrose Thu 13-Oct-16 00:09:48

Bit of a mouthful but I've heard far worse!

VinoTime Thu 13-Oct-16 00:12:13

That's a pretty big mouthful, OP.

I'd reconsider personally.

EveOnline2016 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:12:24

I think I would go with Johnson as a mix between the 2.

ollieplimsoles Thu 13-Oct-16 00:12:48

I wouldn't personally

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:13:35

YY Johnson is a good idea.
I'm usually very pro double-barrelled names but it is quite the mouthful!

GreatFuckability Thu 13-Oct-16 00:14:22

yeah, its a bit of a mouthful. Johnson as a mix is a genius idea! or use one of the names as a middle name?

AshtonBacks Thu 13-Oct-16 00:14:46

Eve, we thought about that, but Johns is my surname. DP says that it wouldn't be fair, as no one would even think of the Georgeson connection. Also, it means we would all have different surnames.

Sigh sad the ones who would reconsider, how bad is it?

Dontpanicpyke Thu 13-Oct-16 00:16:17

I always see them as a pretentious mix of maiden and the mans sir names and think what twats.

Sorry op no it sounds daft.

AshtonBacks Thu 13-Oct-16 00:17:46

Why does it make you think they are twats? confusedblush

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:20:10

Do you know if the baby is a boy or girl?
If it's a boy he could have George as a middle name (Firstname George Johnson).

Would you and your partner consider both changing your names to Johnson, so you all share a name? I suppose he would have the same objection to Johnson?

Problem is, Georgeson is a terrible surname confused

roasted Thu 13-Oct-16 00:21:04

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I take it you don't want to change your surname to his, which is fair enough. Would he change his surname to yours? What if the three of you had a brand new surname?

Johnson for the three of you would make most sense to me.

Kerberos Thu 13-Oct-16 00:22:43

It's bad.

NapQueen Thu 13-Oct-16 00:24:21

Can't you both just pick one of the two and then all have the same on marriage? Or better yet come up with a mutual one? Doesn't even have to be related.

GreatFuckability Thu 13-Oct-16 00:24:58

tbh, Its the kind of name (the double barrelled I mean) that i would think for about 30 secs was long and mouthfully.....and then get over and just get used to it. If you want both, do it.

slightly off topic, but it just reminded me, that my sister had a friend who she insisted for years was called Sally O'Bannamy* ....wasn't til they'd been friends for about 5 years did it become clear her name was O'Bannon-Mee. grin

*not her real first name

NapQueen Thu 13-Oct-16 00:25:22

Georgian?

Dontpanicpyke Thu 13-Oct-16 00:25:34

I think it's because it sounds so pretentious. You don't sound twatty on the least op btw and I am quite sure it's my twatty opinion that should change and not be so judgy. smile

appalachianwalzing Thu 13-Oct-16 00:27:20

I really think it's fine. I also plan on giving a bit of a mouthful of a double-barrelled name to the next generation, similar is size, have a few friends who have as well.

Once you say it three or four times, it starts to trip off the tongue more. I really think double-barrelled will be a lot more common in the next few years, and don't think that one would cause any problems.

AshtonBacks Thu 13-Oct-16 00:27:41

Nap - we are not married/getting married smile

Yes, we spoke about having George as middle name and the female equivalent, but again, he isn't keen, as most people won't know their middle name, etc.

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:31:22

Well, given that he's being inflexible, I think Georgeson-Johns is the only option. It is a mouthful but people will get used to it or get over it!

I suppose a lot of men are very reluctant to relinquish their age-old privilege. God forbid the mother's surname should take pride of place for once!

PointlessUsername Thu 13-Oct-16 00:34:15

I think Johns-Georgeson sound's better?

Dontpanicpyke Thu 13-Oct-16 00:37:21

Think that johns Georgeston sounds a bit rude. Too much like John Thomas. But I am very childish for my age.

TheKrakenSmith Thu 13-Oct-16 00:38:50

I think it sounds fine, but then we both double barrelled on marriage so our kids will be too, but with a name that long they may end up dropping the longer name, as my friend has.

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:42:09

I wonder if removing the hyphen would help:

Firstname Georgeson Johns
OR
Firstname Middlename Georgeson Johns

Then if the whole lot is too much of mouthful, s/he can always drop one of the surnames for everyday use (but would still have both on official documents - birth certificate, passport, bank accounts etc)

I have two surnames, no hyphen, and I do drop one name sometimes (for hairdressers and restaurant bookings and things like that)

Yono Thu 13-Oct-16 00:42:52

It's a bit of a mouthful and a bit posho' sounding but I've heard a lot worse and I don't think I'd give it any thought. It might be an idea to keep any first names short and sweet . i.e. One syllable. It might also be an idea not to bother with a middle name.

It's 15 syllables 🤔 I suggest you don't have too many DC and do anything that needs lots of forms being filled out like applying for visas or something similar. 😂

Yono Thu 13-Oct-16 00:43:28

Typo. Not 15 syllables ... I meant 15 characters 😜

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Thu 13-Oct-16 00:46:55

Georgeston-Johns is no more of a mouthful that (Katerina) Johnson-Thompson. Every one will get used to it!

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Thu 13-Oct-16 00:47:31

*everyone

Yono Thu 13-Oct-16 00:52:27

Georgeston-Johns is no more of a mouthful that (Katerina) Johnson-Thompson

...but every time I hear Katerina Johnson-Thompson I think what a mouthful it sounds. I've know her name for ages but I haven't got used to it. I don't dislike it but it does stand out.

QueenCarpetJewels Thu 13-Oct-16 01:06:27

I think if my parents had given me the surname Georgeson-Johns, it would for the most part be fine, but I can imagine having to give my name to people I'd just met, or over the phone, they might think it's George St Johns. Because that's how it sounds when I say it out loud.

My tip: Call your child whatever you like. If it becomes tricky for any reason, you can always change it, or they can when older.

AbernathysFringe Thu 13-Oct-16 01:08:42

I've always wondered what happens when a double barreller gets married? Do they go triple? Or if they marry another double barreller?! It could get out of hand. Or do they just pick one or two of the most aesthetically pleasing of the four? Which would render the whole thing meaningless anyway.
I've always thought double-barrelling was about joining two aristocratic families together when the female party is the last of their line. When it's just Bloggs-Smith I guess it's a feminist statement, the female party not giving up their name (being kind and assuming it's not just delusions of grandeur).

FluffyPineapple Thu 13-Oct-16 01:09:48

It is not as much of a mouthful as my double barrelled name. I only agreed to it to keep hubby happy. I never use his part of the name tho ;) We named our kids the same double barrelled name. They don't use hubbys part of their surname either. It sounds ridiculous!

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Thu 13-Oct-16 01:14:35

every time I hear Katerina Johnson-Thompson I think what a mouthful it sounds.

I must admit we do have a bit of a laugh < childish> at the prospect of Katerina marrying someone with the surname Ronson, and going for the triple-barreled.......grin

I think Georgeson -Johns sounds quite distinguished!

UsernameHistory Thu 13-Oct-16 02:12:33

I'm generally against double-barreled names: just very pretentious sounding IMO*. As both of you are being inflexible (it's not fair to say ^God forbid the mother's surname should take pride of place for once!^) perhaps it's the only way although 3 people with different surnames sounds fairly unusual.

*and I had tribble-barrelled one before marriage. An awful Norman one.

AshtonBacks Thu 13-Oct-16 02:19:06

How am I not being flexible? hmm

sonlypuppyfat Thu 13-Oct-16 03:29:54

Get married it'll be far easier

Cockblocktopus Thu 13-Oct-16 03:38:47

I love it. smile

sycamore54321 Thu 13-Oct-16 03:42:55

Sorry I think it sounds pretty bad and I wouldn't fancy going through life saddled with such a 'big' name. But obviously that is only a personal opinion.

You would be pretty constrained in your choice of first name to make sure the whole thing isn't an enormous tongue-twister. So absolutely no J- or G- or Ch- or S- sounds in there at all and preferable short. And no 'O' either. Something with hard crisp consonants like Claire would just about work. Can you give us an idea of which first names you were considering?

KathArtic Thu 13-Oct-16 03:44:30

I like it!

FlatleyMyDearIdontRiverdance Thu 13-Oct-16 04:03:41

I think it sounds nice.

Leanin15yearsmaybe Thu 13-Oct-16 04:20:34

I was going to post exactly what queen said. Will be forever spelling it to correct from George St. Johns

Brightredpencil Thu 13-Oct-16 04:32:21

I think it's mostly fine and know a lot of children (I'm a teacher) with double barrelled surnames and a couple come to mind that are A LOT WORSE (think along the lines of Watt-Pratt or Fledermouse-Eisenhower). The only issue is that it does sound a bit like you're saying George St John. But fine otherwise in fact I quite like!

GreatFuckability Thu 13-Oct-16 04:48:17

What about John as a middle name? Or, er, Johnetta? grin

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 13-Oct-16 05:01:40

We are all double barrelled. Dd doesn't feel saddled although i do tend to just use one name verbally when booking stuff and such.

user1471494124 Thu 13-Oct-16 06:06:01

I see no issue with it. In fact, I like it!

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 13-Oct-16 06:07:12

I think it sounds fab - great alliteration - go for it!

tralaaa Thu 13-Oct-16 06:17:52

I think it's a lovely surname Daisy goes well as does Louie. Teddy Freddy it's nice

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 13-Oct-16 06:22:05

It is fine! Quite nice in fact.

SixthSenseless Thu 13-Oct-16 06:30:22

Johnson George is easier to say, or Johns George. It's his name that makes it a bit of a mouthful.

But in the end, they are your names, give them both to your baby with pride if that is what you want .

sonlypuppyfat how would getting married change the issue? confused

origamiwarrior Thu 13-Oct-16 06:44:21

Are you both set on having both names used in every day, or would one of you be prepared to drop one surname for daily use?

It's a mouthful, but I think it would work if you are very careful with the first name you choose.

KERALA1 Thu 13-Oct-16 06:47:38

If he won't marry you not sure he gets to be all bullishly traditional about the baby having his name hmm. Can't have it all his way. Johns is far preferable. Double barrel always looks confused and /or pretentious to me.

SixthSenseless Thu 13-Oct-16 06:51:13

"If he won't marry you" ! Bit of an assumption there! Who says the OP wants to get married!

And marriage does not automatically mean anyone changes the name or dictate what name the DC have.

PoldarksBreeches Thu 13-Oct-16 06:55:00

maiden and the man's surname

woman's and the man's surname

Fixed that for you

PoldarksBreeches Thu 13-Oct-16 06:55:35

Gaah why assume they aren't married? What century are we in? angry

PoldarksBreeches Thu 13-Oct-16 06:58:16

Ok I see the op isn't married. But even if they were - why assume she would take his name or automatically agree to the children having solely his name?

tinks269 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:00:27

As someone who grew up with a double barreled surname (not through marriage) I had no choice when I came to get married I could either keep it or lose it all. I know the op has not said it is due to marriage but personally I find it selfish to not choose and give a child both as when they are older they have 'easy' option. Some cultures use double arreled surnames all the time and these track the maternal names through both sides which I like as an idea but I don't think this is being proposed here.

soundsystem Thu 13-Oct-16 07:02:13

It is a bit of a mouthful, but you'll all get used to it. We have a similar mouthful here, as we wanted the children to have my name, and DH's is quite unusual and has quite a lot of history attached so wanted them to have that too.

I did have a health visitor ask if my daughter had the same surname as me and then when I said yes said "poor kid!"

I would second one syllable first names if you do go with it!

greenfolder Thu 13-Oct-16 07:03:24

I do think it sounds like George St Johns. In all honestly I think it sounds fine and it is what it is. They are your names and you both want your kids to have them.
I gave my first dd as a middle name. I really wish that I had insisted on the same for all of them.

XinnaJane Thu 13-Oct-16 07:03:56

I think it sounds fine. And ultimately if your partner is resisting all other suggestions you don't really have a choice. It always seems to be the woman who scrabbles about for a way to make the names ok and keep everyone happy, while the man digs his heels in and says 'this is what I want'

AtSea1979 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:04:46

What about having it as first name name?

DryIce Thu 13-Oct-16 07:05:02

I don't think there's any easy answer, OP. It's a bit of a mouthful, but if you both want your kids to have your names (which I feel is very valid!), it's about the only way.

I have the same issue, the name is a mouthful...think Harrington-Evans, but I really can't see another way.

BalloonSlayer Thu 13-Oct-16 07:09:19

I actually quite like it, it goes better than the aforementioned 'Johnson-Thompson.'

Like a pp I do wonder what happens in the next generation down from this practice, when John Smith-Jones and Mary Evans-Brown have a child.

Most children though do seem to drop one half of double-barrelled surnames by the time they are in their teens. Parents will say "no they don't" at me, but, at school, yes they do.

sueelleker Thu 13-Oct-16 07:09:21

I work in a hospital pharmacy, and double-barrelled names are a PITA. The computer only allows so many characters, and we're always having to abbreviate names to fit them on the labels.

AtSea1979 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:09:51

As a woman, you have the right to choose. Whether you use that right is up to you.

MimiSunshine Thu 13-Oct-16 07:15:56

It's fine, a bit of a mouthful yes but in all honesty people won't think about after the first 30sec of hearing it.

How actively do you think about, consider whether they're easy to say or critique anyone's surname you actually know?

The reason Katerina Johnson Thompson always sounds a bit funny / noticable is because sports commentators constantly say her full name (and both names end in 'son'). In any other circumstances she'll be introduced once and then just be Katarina after that.

Same with Jessica Ennis Hill, although I've noticed she's often referred to as Jess Ennis Hill which makes it trip off the tongue easier. So I'd say use both names but maybe go for a shorter 1-2 syllable 1st name

NavyandWhite Thu 13-Oct-16 07:17:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InfiniteSheldon Thu 13-Oct-16 07:23:07

Bloody awful

DanGleballs Thu 13-Oct-16 07:24:58

Children in England have always taken their mother's name. Legitimate children only had their father's name because it was the mother's name also. Illegitimate children took their mother's name.

SixthSenseless Thu 13-Oct-16 07:26:20

sueelker is it the computer / programme that is a PITA rather than the patients? So many long names now. Not just hyphenated names but many different backgrounds.

Athrawes Thu 13-Oct-16 07:28:58

I like it but when you say it out loud it does sound like George St John which will then be written down as such and then pronounced George "Sinjun".

Myownperson Thu 13-Oct-16 07:29:24

We gave our children a double barreled surname. It's also 15 characters and a terrible 6 syllables. I have always cringe when using it.

Although since we separated Ds1 likes that he has both our names connecting us as a family. Helps with his identity.

er.... Maybe not the best selling point!

I think you'll get used to it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 13-Oct-16 07:30:10

I like it, goes together nicely and cannot see why people would have issues pronouncing it.

Solasum Thu 13-Oct-16 07:31:40

Another vote for both names no hyphen. We did this with DS. He is registered with the NHS as my name. When we go to visit family overseas they call him the other. When he is older he can choose to use which he likes professionally if he doesn't want both.

cariboo Thu 13-Oct-16 07:34:44

I would just pick one or the other for your baby. I have a double-barrelled surname (un-hyphenated) but usually use just one of the names. My first name is nine letters so giving my whole name over the phone sounds ridiculous.

cariboo Thu 13-Oct-16 07:35:17

Or introducing myself!

ShutTheFridgeUp Thu 13-Oct-16 07:38:20

I think it's fine! In fact I'd go so far as to say I quite like it.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Oct-16 07:39:46

I quite it. As someone else pointed out, it will probably be mistaken for George St John when spoken but other than that, I think it's fine. It flows nicely.

Sugarlightly Thu 13-Oct-16 07:41:26

I like it. An interesting, memorable surname

SoupDragon Thu 13-Oct-16 07:42:00

As a woman, you have the right to choose

Does the baby not have two parents then?

Cookies77 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:43:00

I like it!

GinIsIn Thu 13-Oct-16 07:44:57

It's a hell of a mouthful. It sounds a bit like a character from a Dickens novel, rather than the name of an actual person....

Ragwort Thu 13-Oct-16 07:45:05

It sounds ridiculous, just choose one name, it's only a name, I can't understand all this angst about it being your 'identity'. hmm

I used to live in a village that had an incredibly difficult name to spell/pronounce .............. your future DC will not thank you for giving them such a moutfull. See article in today's DM.

Beebeeeight Thu 13-Oct-16 07:45:36

If you're not married it should just be Johns.

mouldycheesefan Thu 13-Oct-16 07:45:37

Double barrelled surname is shorthand round here for parents not married. There are loads and loads of them.

Manumission Thu 13-Oct-16 07:45:57

I always see them as a pretentious mix of maiden and the mans sir names and think what twats.

Really DontPanicPyke?!

People's surnames make you think to yourself that those people are TWATS? hmm confused

Daytona79 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:51:37

I'd give him your husbands surname

SixthSenseless Thu 13-Oct-16 07:55:29

Hey! Diana by Paul Anka is at number one!

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:56:38

Oh dear. Some depressing replies overnight.

Bee Nope, married or not the surname should be whatever they want it to be.

On threads like this people always start asking "but what do you people with double barrelled names do when they get married?" Hmmm let me see, they have lots of options - they could each keep both their surnames, one person could change both surnames to the other's, or one or both could keep one name and change the other. In Spain, everyone has two surnames, no-one changes their name after marriage, and children have one surname from each parent. The tradition is to pass on names from the male line but it doesn't have to be that way - you could give the child one or both of the grandmother's names, or just pick whichever combo you think works best.

"As someone who grew up with a double barreled surname (not through marriage) I had no choice when I came to get married I could either keep it or lose it all."
As explained above, you did have a choice. I've had two surnames since birth and when I got married, I decided to keep one surname and change the other surname to DH's. You did have that option too. (And FWIW our child(ren) will have both surnames.)

Summerisdone Thu 13-Oct-16 07:58:05

I think it's absolutely fine, I wish I had given my DS my surname as well as his father's. yes it may be a mouthful but tbh it's not as if people will need to refer to him in everyday life by his full name, most of the time they will just say his first name, therefore it won't be too big a deal how long his surname is.

JinkxMonsoon Thu 13-Oct-16 07:58:07

It's fine.

There are two children in DD's class with double barrelled names that are more than a mouthful than yours is. It's not a problem.

GeorgeTheThird Thu 13-Oct-16 07:58:33

It's a bit of a mouthful. I wouldn't want it as my surname and I'd probably drop one of the names if I'd been given them both as a child.

NameChange30 Thu 13-Oct-16 07:58:51

Oh and I get so fucking sick of people saying double-barrelled surnames are "pretentious"

Nice to know that people think equality is pretentious - apparently it's so much better judge people for their naming choices and perpetuate the patriarchy for the sake of appearances hmm

Nermerner Thu 13-Oct-16 08:00:34

I quite like it. But would probably go with plain Georgeson

Nermerner Thu 13-Oct-16 08:01:19

But I don't care about names. Dh picked all the dcs names.

Manumission Thu 13-Oct-16 08:01:51

Well said Emma. This subject seems to attract thickos.

Phalenopsisgirl Thu 13-Oct-16 08:03:35

My vote would be a- get married, this is by far the best and easiest way to enter into a legal contract that will cover the child and you both in the event of one of you passing away, or should one of you decide to call it a day it is in fact much easier to divorce than arrange maintenance and division of assets if one party wishes to be uncooperative (a friend has recently discovered this with 2dc after 12 years cohabiting and is having a nightmare) you need not have 'a wedding', you could just go to the registry office in your jeans if a big fuss isn't your style. Or b- drop the hyphen and just use one surname in every day use

WeArePregnant11 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:03:42

John-Georgeson?

And why do "people" need to know which part came from the him or from you? You know, he knows, the kiddo will know... seems like it's enough.

Manumission Thu 13-Oct-16 08:05:53

Phalen a wedding (royal or registry) doesn't solve the name dilemma in any way hmm

RomanticWalksToTheFridge Thu 13-Oct-16 08:11:10

I'd just do it. You and your DCs are the ones it has to please, no-one else at all.

Phalenopsisgirl Thu 13-Oct-16 08:12:06

I thought the op wanted to have the same name as dc, so it would, kind of solve it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »