Talk

Advanced search

To ask people to stop parking in designated disabled space...

(31 Posts)
BlancheDuBois2 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:07:57

I've taken to leaving post-it's on people's windscreens when they park in the disabled space outside my DF's house. He needs the space because he's got MS (blue badge etc, and the council marked the space out specifically for him). Ive just been told by someone I was leaving a post it for that apparently the parking spot isn't reserved for him, but can be used by anyone who has a blue badge. I was a bit hmm and then a bit blushin case I've been completely unreasonable...

Am I being a twat? Or should people just find somewhere else to park? Round here is a nightmare, but that's not the point, in my opinion. I'm polite, but forceful in my post it writing (no swears, say please and thank you etc --and always refrain from calling people wankers--)... smile

Redglitter Thu 13-Oct-16 00:10:01

I think if it's been used by another blue badge holders then YABU. I can't imagine its personalised for him

OvO Thu 13-Oct-16 00:10:45

I think if the space doesnt have his house number on it then anyone with a blue badge can use it.

modernclassic Thu 13-Oct-16 00:12:17

yeah this is true, I wonder does your dad live in a street in scotland as this is happening in my street now. Anyone with the blue badge can use any disabled space its not specifically just your your dad although he may be the main user of the space.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 13-Oct-16 00:13:09

Unless it has his house number painted on the road, you can't ask others not to use it. However, if it's the same person repeatedly use it, you could approach them and ask that they don't, explaining that it's been requested by your DF because of his disability.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Thu 13-Oct-16 00:14:21

Anyone with a disabled badge can park in any disabled space as long as no certain residence is specified.

Spaced are usually put on roads when prompted by the public or residents but the number is usually based on a quota.

Meadows76 Thu 13-Oct-16 00:14:49

Holy crap of course it's not his own personal space!

DustyCropHopper Thu 13-Oct-16 00:16:31

Yes, unless the sign states it is for sole use of x number, then a disabled bay can be used by any blue badge holder. That doesn't help your dad but that is just the way it is I am afraid.

Notmorecake Thu 13-Oct-16 00:19:06

Really? I would have thought if you requested the space to marked outside your DFs house and the council responded to that request then the space is meant for him. Anyone else with a blue badge living in the same road could ask for the same to be done outside their own property. Anyone visiting a neighbour using a disabled man's spot outside his own home is being incredibly selfish especially if they also have a blue badge, they know what a pain in the neck that will be for you DD.

I don't think you are being unreasonable. ( but I wouldn't be surprised to find that we are both wrong op).

TheFairyCaravan Thu 13-Oct-16 00:19:18

I had a space outside my last house. It didn't have my number in it so anyone could park there. Fortunately they seldom did.

One of my sister's old neighbors had a space, again with no number in it so I could have parked there when visiting but I never did. It felt "wrong" to me. They needed to be able to get to their house, so that's why it was there. DH could drop me off and go park. It wasn't fair to take their space and leave them to walk 100 yards or so.

I think it's one of those things which should be filed under "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

MsMims Thu 13-Oct-16 00:21:48

The person was right. It can be used by any blue badge holder.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Thu 13-Oct-16 00:22:11

not we have three disabled spaces marked on our street (a fairly long street) and when someone else applied they were told the council wouldn't be able to fulfil their request because of the number of disabled spaces already on our street. I don't know if this quota varies from council to council.

FluffyPineapple Thu 13-Oct-16 00:35:10

If the space is marked as a disabled space then anyone with a blue badge can park there - sorry! Does the space specify that it is reserved solely for your DF?

RazWaz Thu 13-Oct-16 01:26:22

I sometimes use the disabled space next door to my nanas house as I am a wheelchair user and she lives next to a ton of shops so the only other free space is usually half a mile down the road.

It was originally put in because of a little boy who needed it who lived next door to my nana. I only used it during school hours so it would be free for him when he got back but sadly he passed away a couple of years back. His family are fine with me using the space at any time now that they no longer need it.

While people technically have the right to use any spot that isn't named, assuming they have a blue badge, I would always be careful about not causing inconvenience for the person who requested it - as they needed it for a reason.

itlypocerka Thu 13-Oct-16 01:36:23

If it's the same neighbour regularly using it, and they are a legitimate bb holder, could you volunteer to help them apply for a disabled space outside their own house as clearly the street doesn't have enough spaces reserved for disabled people.

If it's always different cars, perhaps due to nearby shops, then go to the council and make a case for having the space designated for him only.

Lunar1 Thu 13-Oct-16 01:39:37

It's a bloody bastard rule this one! I fought for a long time to get one for my first husband, who used a wheelchair and was also very medically unwell. Then it turned out bloody anyone could use it. I'd even had to pay towards it.

YANBU, but people will show absolutely no compassion or understanding over this.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 13-Oct-16 01:40:32

I agree with thefairy - just because it's legal for other bb holders to use doesn't mean they are morally right to use it - if they'd got a space outside their house for their needs they would want to use it.

Akire Thu 13-Oct-16 02:02:25

I looked into this but as I live near a station and shops if I ever drove I'd never be able to park when I got home. So now no car! It's stupid rule. For some people it makes their lives easier, child or partner disabled no bigger. If like me you are disabled person and none else to drop off and then park it 300 metres away where there's no way you can get back up the curb it dosnt work.

FeelingSmurfy Thu 13-Oct-16 02:06:12

Yes, it's for anyone with a blue badge, even if it's been put in specially for one person

I haven't seen any in residential streets, but if I did I wouldn't use it even though I could

GrumpyInsomniac Thu 13-Oct-16 02:27:28

Our Council does designated spaces tied to the blue badge number, but a plain disabled space is available for use by all blue badge holders. I also seem to remember that in the booklet for blue badges you get sent, it says you should always try to park in a designated disabled space before using your badge in a different place, so this won't help.

The best is probably to contact the Council and ask them to designate it for individual use.

Of course, it may be no guarantee of people respecting it. We're in the process of applying for a designated space on the recommendation of the Council because of where we are, but given the way some people park round here, I'm anticipating a fair few people 'just stopping' for a few minutes. There's currently one local blue badge holder who parks on the pavement hmm and makes it impossible for me to get past in my wheelchair without going into the road, so I know damn well he'll be using my space if he gets the chance.

phillipp Thu 13-Oct-16 06:45:28

My mum is disabled and she would never park in a disabled spot outside a house.

However, as pps said, unless it's marked for that house. Anyone can park in it that has a blue badge.

Try and see if they can have it allocated to their house

RhiWrites Thu 13-Oct-16 07:54:22

Don't write passive aggressive notes unless you're sure of your ground. It's a disabled space not one designated for a specific person. The person who corrected you was right.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 13-Oct-16 07:58:00

Sorry, but yes it is for anyone with a blue badge, so you may have some apologising to do.

Guavaf1sh Thu 13-Oct-16 08:00:38

Post it notes on cars are very twatty methods of communication under every circumstance and should never be used. Very annoying. There are no circumstances ever when using a post it note on a car is the most desirable option for communicating a method.

Guavaf1sh Thu 13-Oct-16 08:03:02

Sorry! Ever I meant to say not a method. Not good at communicating myself...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now