We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a step too far?

(17 Posts)
Stormwhale Wed 12-Oct-16 16:09:29

Do kids really need this shit? I would have hated to think I was being watched constantly to see if I was being good in the run up to Christmas. I bloody hate the fucking elf things too. Just leave kids alone! Being watched on a security camera by father Christmas. Seriously? The kids young enough to believe really can't benefit emotionally from this sort of stuff surely?

pipsqueak25 Wed 12-Oct-16 16:18:53

total bollocks, what happened to kids being kids ? think this is more of a bribe to please/excuse the parents from spending money on tonnes of plastic shite smile

pipsqueak25 Wed 12-Oct-16 16:19:57

worse thing people are buying this shite - WHY??

drinkyourmilk Wed 12-Oct-16 16:22:12

I agree. Hate elf on the shelf too. Just discipline your children!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 12-Oct-16 16:25:47

I always assume that threats of Santa (DH's favorite) or Elf on the Shelf are a substitute for decent parenting in the run up to Chistmas.

I like Mensch on a Bench. Much nicer.

Maudlinmaud Wed 12-Oct-16 16:32:06

I have an elf on the shelf. My dd when very small was frightened of him so he stays in the loft. She gets a little anxious when we open the loft for something. Its madness.

nicenewdusters Wed 12-Oct-16 16:46:55

Yep, bloody ridiculous.

"You'd better watch out
You'd better beware
Cause Santa cam's bloody everywhere
Santa Clause is coming, to town....."

acasualobserver Wed 12-Oct-16 16:50:48

The poem was even worse than the bauble.

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Wed 12-Oct-16 16:52:51

Ugh - no, horrible.

Nothing wrong with the odd 'Don't forget FC could be watching' in the couple of weeks before Xmas, but this is too much.

Stormwhale Wed 12-Oct-16 16:56:53

Wonderful. Glad there are still some sane people in the world.

Stormwhale Wed 12-Oct-16 17:00:12

What makes me sad is that I feel things like this are taking the joy out of Christmas for kids. It is supposed to be a magical time, not a time for kids not to dare breathe because father Christmas is watching them on a fucking camera or a poxy elf is telling on them for everything they do. It makes me sad.

Maudlinmaud Wed 12-Oct-16 17:11:09

But storm.were you not told as a child that Santa brings coal to naughty boys and girls?
I know I was. I was really peeved when I found out the truth. Actually I was told the robin was watching me and reporting my every move back to the north pole. I think it has really messed me up grin

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 12-Oct-16 20:20:36

The Elf is nothing more than a snitch. Mean bastard.

I was told about coal. But it was supposed to be self-censoring, not because you were being spied on.

MrsHathaway Wed 12-Oct-16 20:25:55

What do you do if the children's behaviour doesn't get better? Cancel Christmas? And what do you do about behaviour from Boxing Day onwards?

Fuck. That. Shit.

My children's Christmas presents aren't conditional on behaviour, but because we love them. We don't do Father Christmas or Spy Elf or any of that. We do other exciting things that don't rely on complicated fabrications. It's all just too complicated.

potentialqualms Wed 12-Oct-16 20:33:17

Firstly, Santa doesn't need a camera, he's been watching children 24/7 for years actually not as long as you think.

2nd, it's a rubbish way to try and get kids to behave and doesn't work. A threat can only ever work if there's a certainty that it will be followed through and even the littlest children know (once they're aware that he exists) that he's still coming.

My DC are still at school but the Elf didn't exist when they were little. It's become "normal" in a startlingly short space of time. And parents made it happen grin

Stormwhale Wed 12-Oct-16 21:11:08

Glad you all agree with me. And no I was never threatened with coal. The only threat I remember was that father Christmas wouldn't bring presents if I didn't believe or go along with it for my mums sake

AcrossthePond55 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:42:56

Mine are well grown now, they were (blessedly) grown before all this Santa-spy business. I think it's horrible!

My kids thought that all parents had a phone number to call Santa to report misbehaviour. Worked well enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now