Talk

Advanced search

to expect some interest already?

(156 Posts)
Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:06:26

Name changed just incase.. Long term poster.

We've made the rookie error of finding a house we love in the village we've been planning to relocate to.

Cottage in Cornwall has been on the market for a week - not a sausage.

It's priced well (189K), 3 bed, lovely views, 10 mins drive from sea, peaceful village, no-through road, brand new woodburner.

I can't see why no interest.. Am I expecting too much in 7 days?

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:11:54

IACBU sad

BifsWif Wed 12-Oct-16 11:12:36

Can you post a link? We can see if there's anything obvious you might be missing.

atticusclaw2 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:13:38

Yes post a link and we'll have a look.

PerpendicularVincent Wed 12-Oct-16 11:15:16

Have you been to the house? Is it near a lap dancing club/noisy pub? Does it have no central heating, or double glazing?

I agree, let's see a link to assess

YoungGirlGrowingOld Wed 12-Oct-16 11:15:41

YANBU to be disappointed BUT it's just taken me nearly a year to sell my house and I had to knock about 30k off the price to shift it. I think, bar London and a few high demand areas, the market is pretty stagnant. So it's also not surprising to hear.

MrsHathaway Wed 12-Oct-16 11:18:44

189k is not an ideal price.

That is, it might be exactly right for the property, but it will foul up searches on RightMove. People do searches up to price boundaries, and sort by price, so by putting 189 rather than 190 exactly, you end up on page two. If all the page one properties look nice, people won't click through. People whose budget is up to £200k will get you on page three or four.

Your estate agent will have access to the RM analytics to see who's got your house in their search results, and who's clicked through. Ours sent this through by email automatically once a week and it was very interesting.

Is your estate agent sending it to the right people? They should have a list on their books of people looking for cottages, and as soon as your cottage hit their books they should have been actively marketing to those people. "We know you're looking for a 3-bed near the sea - one's just come on, when would you like to view it?" If they haven't done this then they are crap.

Our first estate agents were crap. We fired them and sold our house with the agents who actually took an interest in selling it! Funnily enough that worked far better than the agents who just stuck the details in their window and went back to coffee and chatting.

Good luck though!

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:18:45

Ooh replies! Here's the link... All ok I think apart from the pics came out a bit fuzzy... Maybe we should use a different pic for the 'main one' as it doesn't catch the eye?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56393236.html

ShotsFired Wed 12-Oct-16 11:18:56

It's a cottage in Cornwall - a holiday place where people dream of living some Good Life rural bollocks when they are down there in summer drinking gin in a deckchair.

Unfortunately this idyllic dream probably couldn't be further from their minds as Autumn sets in, and work, school, life etc gets in the way.

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:21:27

We're using an online agent MrsHathaway, so they don't have a local list of people.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 12-Oct-16 11:21:53

Did the estate agent take those pics?! Sorry, OP, those photos are terrible confused (not a reflection on your house btw).

It looks like they've taken them on their mobile. Get them back out to take better shots.

MrsHathaway Wed 12-Oct-16 11:22:11

That may be the problem then. You're only catching people who go looking with the right search terms on the right day.

MrsHathaway Wed 12-Oct-16 11:23:02

Firewall is blocking RM because I'm "working" (waiting for a phone call) so I can't comment on photos. But yes they do need to be excellent.

MrsGwyn Wed 12-Oct-16 11:23:48

ShotsFired may well be right - wrong time of year.

All the houses down our road went in spring one year - we put our on a few months later took ages to get viewings.

People weren't getting serious till school application times - nearly same time time 12 months later - good primary school was main attraction in area - but we'd been on the market a while then so had to drop the price and I think our estate agents weren't great by then either - their enthusiam definitely waned.

ShotsFired Wed 12-Oct-16 11:25:03

It's jus you calling it a cottage, right?
Because that is just a terraced house imo (nice as it is inside!)

The front of house first pic does make it look cramped and small though, also the tight crop makes me wonder what you have next door! Think of all those wide shots of quaint village streets and try and capture that?

Also a couple of the pics are quite dark, and you have a bedroom with a massive wardrobe next to a bed, which looks odd.

Also is there a floor plan, because I can't see how all those rooms fit in that small frontage without (say) having to traipse through bedroom/s to get to another room?

LurkingHusband Wed 12-Oct-16 11:25:46

Brexit innit ?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 12-Oct-16 11:26:42

Definitely get them back for better photos, the angles are terrible and they're a bit blurry. Get them to put a better one as the first photo too, maybe one of the garden?

MirabelleTree Wed 12-Oct-16 11:26:52

I think it is a combination of wrong time of year plus it has been rather a tense 7 days for a lot of people on the economic front with a lot of uncertainty wafting around at the moment.

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:27:05

There's a floorplan smile

mangocoveredlamb Wed 12-Oct-16 11:28:09

There's a (not so well laid out, without such a nice garden) in your road for 180 with a much better first picture so that might be your problem.

NotMyMoney Wed 12-Oct-16 11:28:34

Photos are terrible, also bedroom with all the pine looks cluttered and remove one blue arm chair then rearrange the furniture.

Look at hiring a professional photographer

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:29:45

Would this be better as first photo?

Wondered the same re pictures, brexit, autumn...

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 12-Oct-16 11:31:18

Why are you using an online-only EA? Is it to save money?

I think EAs do far more than just putting the house on RightMove. I'd be tempted to use a traditional EA if I didn't want my dream house to slip away.

Homebird90 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:32:47

Yep - to save 2K

Babyroobs Wed 12-Oct-16 11:34:46

I wonder if the market is just sluggish everywhere? We have been trying to sell my fil's property and have had virtually no interest in the 4 months it's been on the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now