Talk

Advanced search

To be apoplectic with rage

(142 Posts)
couldntlovethebearmore Wed 12-Oct-16 09:41:18

Over the vax advert?
Nice family having breakfast, the kids and man make a massive mess everywhere.
Mum walks in smiling and cleans it up with the vax.
WHEN the fuck will this sexist shit ever end?

BlancheBlue Wed 12-Oct-16 09:42:08

yes and vax hoovers are shit

FlyingElbows Wed 12-Oct-16 09:42:54

Lol, I've ranted at that one too, it's outrageous. The actual product is good though.

BigFatLoser Wed 12-Oct-16 09:43:06

Yes. What a waste of energy to be so angry about something so petty.

couldntlovethebearmore Wed 12-Oct-16 09:45:54

Whats petty about being pissed with the message lets make a trail of mess and mum will come along smiling and happy to clean up after every fucker. Are you an actual mug?

Captainladder Wed 12-Oct-16 09:48:39

YANBU. Those ads send me a bit loopy too.

MsStricty Wed 12-Oct-16 09:48:50

Unfortunately, BigFatLoser's attitude is the reason why ads like this are still around.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 12-Oct-16 09:53:20

I don't think ads have that much influence tbh. Sure it might make you think "ooh - I need a new vac, maybe I'll try a Vax this time" but it hasn't yet made DH go "ooh look - the woman in the house should be doing all the cleaning", and any household where it does has probably got bigger problems. DS does the hoovering in our house though.

I'd save your apoplectic rage for soaps and shit.

Bluebolt Wed 12-Oct-16 09:57:31

Hate it but whilst women are still more likely to be the purchaser the ad designers will continue to target them. Women need to demonstrate with their wallets.

NothingIsOK Wed 12-Oct-16 10:01:28

The ad is targeted at men who do the buying. Some arseholes will see it and get the message... get this for your woman and she will be happy, smiley and efficient at clearing up all the mess the rest of you make. No doubt many of them will gift it to the lucky woman, possibly for Christmas.

Yanbu.

ZuleikaDobson Wed 12-Oct-16 10:01:47

Apoplectic? Really? So how do you cope with, say, bombs being dropped on children?

Laiste Wed 12-Oct-16 10:04:28

Actually more and more over the last few years i have come to realise how much power subtle everyday sexism like this (ie ad's like this, the normality of seeing half dressed women standing around for no reason but being eye candy at sporting events ect) DOES absolutely entrench a subconscious idea that women are an underclass.

It's the constant drip drip of small things which keep the general undercurrent of sexism alive in our society i believe. We don't even register we're seeing it half the time.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 12-Oct-16 10:04:34

Tbh Nothing of all the men I know not one of them is responsible for buying household appliances. They all use them, but they don't buy them.

BewtySkoolDropowt Wed 12-Oct-16 10:05:54

I do love a good apoplectic with rage thread. They invariably don't disappoint in their over the top reaction to something.

deydododatdodontdeydo Wed 12-Oct-16 10:09:39

Men buy women vacuum cleaners for christmas? confused

ooodly Wed 12-Oct-16 10:10:17

Fucking hell. Get over it. Is this honestly where you direct your energy?

PunySorrows Wed 12-Oct-16 10:10:45

Of course you're not unreasonable. Advertising is one of the most unavoidable sets of images and assumptions we get confronted with on a day to day basis, and yes, repeated tropes like 'smiling woman does cleans up family mess as a matter of course'/'mother's main obsession is getting her husband's team's football shirts gleaming white' etc etc do normalise sexist and reactionary expectations about domestic workload.

I have never seen anyone as surprised as a plumber we had installing a shower last winter, who, when passing through the kitchen at breakfast time, saw me reading a book (for work, I was giving a lecture on it that morning) while DH ironed his shirt. He stood in the middle of the room bleating 'Well, I MUST say, I've never seen THAT before!' and we genuinely had no idea what he was going on about. Those attitudes don't grow out of thin air.

whattodowiththepoo Wed 12-Oct-16 10:13:43

YABU to be apoplectic with rage, YANBU to be pissed off.

tofutti Wed 12-Oct-16 10:14:09

what about the one where the kids make a bloody foody mess on the dining room carpet at a birthday party and mum just smiles at it? annoys me every time.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 12-Oct-16 10:15:42

These lazy stereotypes are frustrating, I'm sure plenty of men are also pissed off with being viewed as messy and incompetent.

RepentAtLeisure Wed 12-Oct-16 10:16:08

The ad is targeted at men who do the buying.

It's well known that women tend to be the decision makers when it comes to buying household appliances.

OutDamnedWind Wed 12-Oct-16 10:18:38

There was a quote somewhere about images like these in adverts being 'the wallpaper to our lives'.

Of course no one consciously looks at it and goes 'a-ha! Women must do all the housework because te advert says so', but the constant drip feed of these messages everywhere you look had to have an impact.

a8mint Wed 12-Oct-16 10:19:18

Their job is to sell vacuums not correct social stereotype s

AuntDotsie Wed 12-Oct-16 10:19:42

Apoplectic is slightly U, but I get it. Once you see this sort of thing, you see it everywhere and can't stop seeing it, it can really get on your nerves.

I find the best way of coping is opting out by watching things on demand and via streaming. Also Adblock. My life is now about 90% ad-free and it's bliss.

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Wed 12-Oct-16 10:20:47

Puny - re the plumber, thanks for the first belly laugh of the morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now