Talk

Advanced search

People crying during massage on another thread - but how about crying to a specific singing voice?

(10 Posts)
LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 01:14:38

Just been reading the other thread on AIBU where OP was embarassed at her 'release' and crying due to the the lack of touch in daily life.
I wonder if there if it's normal to have a similar reaction to a specific trained singing voice? I know people cry to beautiful music, but I couldn't stop crying to a piece of early music, not especially distinctive, sung by a very 'pure' but strong soprano. The piece itself very nice but I've heard similar ones before sung by others and was just calmly admiring without crying. This felt like a very strong vibe almost crushing me, you know like a pressure over my head that was similar to the way a physical touch can release muscular tension?
Is this weird? and if not how to explain it?

RazWaz Wed 12-Oct-16 01:16:43

I think that's pretty normal. The first time I hear Nessun Dorma I was in floods of tears and I was a teenager obsessed with heavy metal music and thought everything else was lame at the time.

LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 01:27:48

thanks Raz. No I know it's normal to be moved by music but I mean a particular voice - so when the same piece is sung by others I still like but no uncontrollable reaction, whereas I've listened to more of that soprano on youtube and it's just having that strong effect like a sort of pressure over me.
I did cry to Pavarotti played at a funeral of someone I knew - but that was different, I was just so sorry for this person who dies before he time and generally the brevity of life etc which the music made more emotional.
This is different - it's not to do with circumstances or the actual lyrics or whatever, it's literally like a strong 'massage' but by sound?

EstelleRoberts Wed 12-Oct-16 01:29:38

I have had that with a yoga teacher changing 'om'. Something about the particular note or resonance/timbre of her voice really set me off. It seemed to touch me at a profound level and release long-buried hurts.

EstelleRoberts Wed 12-Oct-16 01:30:17

Chanting, not changing.....

RazWaz Wed 12-Oct-16 01:43:54

What you are describing sounds like ASMR to me, some people have 'triggers' that cause you to feel physical sensations.

Give it a Google, there is a Wikipedia page around it and many thousands of YouTube videos dedicated to triggering the effects in people. You might have just found your own trigger in that voice.

LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 01:44:13

Estelle, exactly! It's like the hurt gets meletd or something. I do wonder how it's explained - did you ask her? Do you actually cry in the class? At least yoga teachers (the best ones) can be healers as well, but still it's normally the touch that healers use, not the voice. I find it weird and irrational.

LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 01:47:35

Raz, I will look up, thanks. Just quickly - does that mainly apply to sound or do you mean anything at all? Also is it good or bad? I sort of feel it shouldn't be indulged too much - makes you feel floaty but weak (again just like a good relaxing massage).

LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 01:51:59

Raz, I will read more tomorrow but at first glance they mention soft /rustling/even weird sounds but no mention of singing (loud normal singing).

LovePGtipsMonkey Wed 12-Oct-16 02:02:20

that's a quote from AMRS forum 'I don't think there is any connection between ASMR and music at all. I think music counteracts it. The closest you get is that certain ASMRtists have rhythm, tempo or melody. But for ASMR to work they must avoid repeating themselves. If they did keep time the brain would immediately pick up on it and respond in a way that does not work for ASMR.'
But they talk about 'frisson' that music gives which is different. Also not sure asmr causes people to cry. But very interesting to read about it in any case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now