Talk

Advanced search

Disability Hate Crime

(4 Posts)
Eeyore86 Tue 11-Oct-16 18:51:50

Walking badly back to my car tonight and two youngish lads (late teens/early twenties) shout "oi cripple don't you need a carer"
Having been in a good mood this did upset me, almost to the point of tears, which probably sounds ridiculous but for the first time in weeks I was actually having a fairly good day with my disability and that just brought it back to attention.

Anyway I was talking to a couple of friends (who are also disabled) and they thought this would class as a hate crime? I didn't think it would, since become disabled these encounters are the type of thing that unfortunately do happen in all situations like using my wheelchair and a stag do shouting across a shopping centre alright wheels give us a lift etc.... it annoys he hell out of me and some of the comments do upset me but I'd never really thought this could classify as a hate crime? The one example I can think of that probably was a hate crime involved work but that was dealt with separately

Listening to some of the hate crime reports on the radio yesterday was heartbreaking and did include physical intimidation and abuse of people but did include some verbal abuse which was over a prolonged period

AIBU? Should I take this kind of thing more seriously?

I know some people in the disablitly movement want to take back the word cripple (clearly the lads involved today didn't mean it in that way) but I really do hate being called that word

Dontpanicpyke Tue 11-Oct-16 18:58:41

Vile little bastards. Yes it's horrible op and it should be taken very seriously.

We are all one crash away from a wheelchair and people should remember that.

Hope you are ok? One friend of mine was chatting to me in a pub and a bloke moved her wheelchair so he could push past. No asking excuse me. He had a mouthful from me and my dds. To his credit he apologised but ffs. Like my friend wasn't a person. sad

Eeyore86 Tue 11-Oct-16 19:17:36

I'm fine just a bit sad

That doesn't surprise me Don't, my friend has had that happen to her in supermarkets, hasn't happened when I've been using my chair but people normally talk to DP like I can't answer for myself.

People should remember that disability could happen to them at any time, it always amazes me how rude people are I remember a couple of years ago being in a bar with friends and being told I'd be pretty without the crutch!

plominoagain Tue 11-Oct-16 19:35:53

I'd class it as a disability hate crime - they caused you distress through their words , which may be an offence under section 5 of the public order act , and secondly you perceived it to be motivated by prejudice based on your disability . Ticks all the boxes as far as I can see. If you think it is , then it is .

Report it . You don't have to take this abuse . Cowardly little bastards .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now