AIBU to ask inlaws for a pram for DS?

(68 Posts)
StarlingMurmuration Tue 11-Oct-16 07:51:16

DS is nearly two, and the inlaws have asked for suggestions for his birthday present. I want to ask them for a pram - he really likes pushing the ones at nursery, and popping stuff he wants to push around in them. DP refuses to ask his parents for a pram - he's been reticent about whether it's because HE thinks DS shouldn't have a pram, or whether he thinks his parents won't be willing to get one. AIBU to think that he is being ridiculous? So as not to drip-feed - the inlaws and I aren't on the best of terms right now, so I'd feel weird asking them myself. Shall I just let it go, or push DP on it?

FWIW, my dad is buying DS a toy kitchen for a joint xmas/birthday present. He's getting a train set from us for his birthday, and a tricycle for Christmas.

Soubriquet Tue 11-Oct-16 07:52:41

Ask them for one and if they say no, get him one yourself

Ds loves playing with prams.We have three! But I do have a dd too

ppandj Tue 11-Oct-16 07:53:23

If you haven't bought the gifts already, is it worth suggesting the train set or tricycle to PILs and you getting him the pram?

DartmoorDoughnut Tue 11-Oct-16 07:53:54

I'm going to ask for one for DS for Christmas, he always plays with them at play group things! He's 2 too btw

RachelRagged Tue 11-Oct-16 07:53:58

I would ask them OP .
My son (many years ago now though) had a shopping trolley with those toy packets in it to push around, mainly as we both enjoyed Supermarket Sweep when he was that age. Eyebrows raised ? None .

NapQueen Tue 11-Oct-16 07:55:53

Just do it. All he is doing is playing at being a Daddy

Soubriquet Tue 11-Oct-16 07:56:29

There not even that expensive really

A simple stroller type one is about £6.99 from B and M.

A silver cross pram which would be too big for a 2 year old is £19.99 from B and M

wwyd123 Tue 11-Oct-16 07:56:53

Could you ask them for a shopping trolly instead?, your ds would probably enjoy pushing that the same as he would a pram and they often come with food which he could then use in the kitchen.

MothersGrim Tue 11-Oct-16 07:57:58

Ask them to get him a train set, or part of it and you get the pram? If you know they'll find the request odd, and relations are already strained just make it a bit easier.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Tue 11-Oct-16 07:59:11

Did DH ever push DS in pram as a baby? So DS pushing a pram is playing daddies isn't it? So that's clearly fine.

StarlingMurmuration Tue 11-Oct-16 07:59:16

We've bought the train set, and the Trike is about £70 - it's his main present from us, and a bit expensive to ask them. And on a purely selfish/childish level, for his last xmas we bought him a little Fisher Price plastic ride-on thing, and they one-upped us by getting him a wooden trike from the ELC - I know he'll love the metal tricycle we've got our eye on, and I want to be the one to give it to him. Not that he'll care of course.

I can't really ask them atm, because of the above mentioned tensions - is it worth pushing DP to ask? I like the idea of a shopping trolley though - that might go well with the food we're going to get for his toy kitchen.

StarlingMurmuration Tue 11-Oct-16 08:01:28

DP doesn't tend to push DS in the pram because I prefer to do it. If I ever relent, he's happy to do it. He's also a really hands on dad with nappy changes, night wakings etc, he doesn't think raising kids is a woman's role. I think it might be more that he's worried about their reaction.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Oct-16 08:09:59

They can even get a 'boy' coloured pram so they can't use the excuse that it's just for girls. Ds used to have one as well and pushed soft toys around in it. He also had a soft boy doll that he carried about for a while

dementedpixie Tue 11-Oct-16 08:14:51

Argos have a big selection of doll prams. Some of them are more expensive and fancier than what I used for my own children! Loads of colours and not limited to Blue or pink

KC225 Tue 11-Oct-16 08:17:54

My boy girl twins both had buggies for a present. Both loved them, woman at Early Learning Centre said they sell loads to boys and girls. Ask them for a pram. It's a present for him

blankmind Tue 11-Oct-16 08:27:31

I'd go with shopping trolley as well, he can put whatever he wants in it to push it around, ours had a 'baby' seat in it and a removeable basket for carrying around to shop, so play value was more than just a pram.

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Tue 11-Oct-16 08:29:27

Ask them for the pram.

RachelRagged Tue 11-Oct-16 08:30:16

Yes good idea a shopping trolley as your DS is getting a toy kitchen too Would work well together OP

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 11-Oct-16 08:31:40

Ii is truly depessing that in 2016 there's still an issue about boys having prams, or people saying that those prams have to be "boy" coloured (wtaf?).

If they are so bigoted that they believe a pram isn't an appropriate toy for a boy then your ds might be better off without them being too involved in his life.

Helenluvsrob Tue 11-Oct-16 08:41:04

Gosh , no of course not a boy can't have a pram..... think of what might happen........ he might grow up to be a ...............DADDY!

I would think pram from Dads parents would be a fantastic gift and affirm that they think their son is a great hands on Dad and they are hoping their grandson would be too.

MrsJayy Tue 11-Oct-16 08:46:54

Ask them it is just a pram if you ask and they say no then you can get one and tell them you are not sure what he wants as you have already bought the rest if you urmm and ahhh about asking for a pram then you are making a huge deal of it just askthem.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 11-Oct-16 08:59:18

Not at all

I've been a qualified nanny for 25yrs and girls play with cars and garages and boys with dolls buggies

I find it the dads who don't like their sons with dolls and buggies 🙄🙄🙄 and I always reply back but you push your son in a buggy out in public.

What's the difference ......

They usually go quiet

And mums never have a problem with the daughter playing with cars

I think any sex child should have 'boy/girl' toys. ESP if only sibling or have two of same sex

PinkFreesia Tue 11-Oct-16 09:00:16

my son loved his pushchair which my husband brought home from the side of the road with a note saying 'please take me and use me'. He put soft toys but mainly cars in but what was most useful was that while he was pushing it he wasn't running off.

randomer Tue 11-Oct-16 09:00:45

make a pram and give the money to charity

middlings Tue 11-Oct-16 09:04:29

When I was pregnant with DD1 I remember seeing a little boy who must have been about three very enthusiastically pushing a buggy which contained a rugby ball! Brilliant.

Ask him to ask them. And if he says no, get it as an extra present. The chad valley one is £6.95 in Argos (if memory serves) and isn't the one that the DDs fight over rather than playing with the expensive one Father Christmas brought DD1 18 months previously. Oh no

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now