to be so annoyed?

(22 Posts)
CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 05:35:32

I think I may be overreacting but I got pissed off at my friends today.

Scenario: I saw someone I worked with walking in the street towards me. I saw him looking at me, I smiled, then he proceeded to get his cellphone and did not look my way.

Afterwards, I bumped into the assistant director and he was the one who smiled first at me.

I was amused so I told my friends (not from work) and they said, why do I expect people to greet me? I said, well it's basic courtesy. And then the conversation turned towards me being unreasonable, it's not like me to be like this, do I have a crush on the guy, etc.

Seriously?!

I told them I'm actually more annoyed by them than by the guy who did not acknowledge my greeting (smile) and then they proceeded to roast me even more.

Just so annoyed.

cricketballs Tue 11-Oct-16 05:50:54

I think you are over thinking this! The one with the phone more than likely couldn't remember how he knew you/your name etc so rather than fumble a conversation he tried to look busy

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 05:57:22

I work with the one with the phone.

I'm annoyed not because he did not smile back but because my friends are roasting me, saying I expect everyone to greet me.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Tue 11-Oct-16 05:59:44

Maybe he didn't recognise you beyond 'I know that face from somewhere', maybe he was having a shitty day and couldn't face making small talk, maybe his phone rang at that moment.

I think you're over reacting with that scenario, and it sounds like you took a bit of light ribbing from your friends a bit too seriously.

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Tue 11-Oct-16 06:08:25

I think it's weird/rude not to acknolwedge someone you know when you walk past them.

NapQueen Tue 11-Oct-16 06:15:34

Maybe he thought "uh oh, a Chatter" and he hates small talk?

puglife15 Tue 11-Oct-16 06:20:08

It is basic courtesy but lots of people hate small talk and it seems like a bit of an overreaction to me

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 06:28:06

Actually, again, I am annoyed at my friends. smile

Chinnygirl Tue 11-Oct-16 06:31:59

I don't greet people all the time. When I'm walking it looks like I see you but I'm actually mentally far away thinking about something. Happens all the time. Don't take stuff like tgis personally.

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 06:33:07

Again:

I was amused so I told my friends (not from work) and they said, why do I expect people to greet me? I said, well it's basic courtesy. And then the conversation turned towards me being unreasonable, it's not like me to be like this, do I have a crush on the guy, etc.

Seriously?!

I told them I'm actually more annoyed by them than by the guy who did not acknowledge my greeting (smile) and then they proceeded to roast me even more.

SavoyCabbage Tue 11-Oct-16 06:48:37

Why were you amused wh n the second person smiled at you before you smiled at him?

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 06:51:41

^He saw me first. I don't actually know him, I have just heard of him, I just saw his ID badge and realised he's the director. I was in the elevator punching floor number when he came in.

fairycakecentral Tue 11-Oct-16 07:17:30

You don't say what age you are but the older I get, the more I see people, not always younger than me, act in a way that appears anti social. So, your colleague ignored you (looking at his phone makes that obvious, take it from one who used to do that) but your friends reaction suggests they are part of the generation that thinks this is normal behaviour.

My parents are part if the generation that still say hello to people they simply just know by saying hello to. This generation tend not to bother with small talk with people they don't know (lots of torturous wedding dinners where the young spoke only to their partners or when in reply to questions from us oldies.)

I understand your colleagues behaviour, your friends? I'd be annoyed with them too tbh. Do they only greet people they fancy?

TaterTots Tue 11-Oct-16 07:45:52

Are any of you old enough to have jobs?

Wrinklytights Tue 11-Oct-16 07:53:39

Your friends are BU. It's rude not to smile or say hi to someone you know. Neighbours from up the road and I always say hello when we see each other. We've never had a conversation, we just often see each other when they walk their dog and I'm taking the kids to school.

DavidPuddy Tue 11-Oct-16 08:19:50

I get you CoolToned. I would think the first encounter a funny story and I would not expect to get such a reaction from a friend.

I would totally empathise with the ignorer, though. Oh to have natural social skills.

bloodymaria Tue 11-Oct-16 08:25:19

Let it go

UpWithPup Tue 11-Oct-16 08:27:06

Definitely your friend is BU. The colleague a bit too, could've just nodded really. Not something to dwell on though.

fairycakecentral Tue 11-Oct-16 08:56:52

wrinklytights saying hello to the neighbours seems to be a dying art, if my street is anything to go by. When I moved in I said hello to everyone (small street, 30 houses). Only a handful said it back, only 2 say now hello without me saying it first (not including those on either side of me, they are nice). So I don't say hello now to the others- they obviously just don't see the need to be friendly to neighbours. I don't expect teenagers/ young adults to greet me, but same age mum as me, living pretty much across from me, I find that really rude.

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 19:24:52

Slept on it and not annoyed now anymore at my friends.

Yesterday they asked me if I had my period, what happened to me, I'm not normally pissed off at them for ribbing me, etc.

I dunno. I guess it's just one of those days where I was easily annoyed. Told them I got annoyed that they said I expect everyone to greet me.

Amethyst81 Tue 11-Oct-16 19:29:11

I do think its rude of your colleague to avoid you, even a nod of the head is an acknowledgement it doesn't have to be a kiss and a hug! I think I would be mildy annoyed at your friends too, it sounds like they're being difficult for the sake of it.

CoolToned Tue 11-Oct-16 22:25:14

Amethyst81 - yeah usually I don't get annoyed at them for their ribbing, but yesterday, I didn't want to have any of it! And they would not stop even if I told them I wasn't in the mood to joke around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now