Talk

Advanced search

To feel really hard done by because I don't have a pet?

(56 Posts)
Horseseeker2016 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:41:48

I love animals. I'd love to have a cat, or a dog (or both) and a horse.

However DH and I both work long hours with a long commute so we have accepted having a pet would not be practical. We both had cats and dogs in our families when we were growing up and I've had a horse on loan (one weekend day per week) although this has now come to an end, so we know how much time and attention animals need. We would only want to get an animal if we could look after it very well.

But I do feel like I'm missing out on something amazing, and that my life would be so much better with animals.

I know this is a first world problem, but just fancied a moan. Can anyone relate?

ShoeEatingMonster Mon 10-Oct-16 21:21:00

YANBU!
My horse and dog are the best things in my life blush
Can you not look for another part loan? Or that borrow my doggie site?

HunterHearstHelmsley Mon 10-Oct-16 21:22:19

You could volunteer for the Cinammon Trust and walk dogs!

Horseseeker2016 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:24:48

It's very difficult to find horses looking for weekend only riders. Most people looking for sharers want someone to ride their horses Monday - Friday. I'm also not a greatly experienced or confident rider so that limits what horses I could share - need something fairly safe and sane.

londonrach Mon 10-Oct-16 21:29:38

We hoping to offer a dog in kennels weekend stays when dd is older. Ask at your local rescuee. Some dogs dont do well in kennels.

GazingAtStars Mon 10-Oct-16 21:31:37

Why don't you get a smaller pet like a couple of rats? Or dog walk for cinnamon trust

Nataleejah Mon 10-Oct-16 21:33:38

Get a cat. They are fairly independent

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:36:50

My mil gave her new born gs a rocking horse she got off free cycle - I would have kept it for you if I had known!! I am sure there would have been seen sort of treatment available for its obvious 'mange' looking appearance -
A no maintenance horse just for you!!

jagua Mon 10-Oct-16 21:45:16

Register on borrow my Doggy.com!

BestZebbie Mon 10-Oct-16 21:53:26

Join a Borrow my dog service or get a hamster? Hamsters get up when you come home from work and sleep all day when you are out - they also don't mind if you go away for the weekend as long as they can sleep on a giant mound of food for the whole time. :-)

kerryob Mon 10-Oct-16 22:02:34

House rabbit grin I'm biased as we have our little fluff ball, he gets into bed with us at night for a cuddle & I'd be lost without him. We haven't been able to start a family so our home would feel empty without him.

Cailleach1 Mon 10-Oct-16 23:18:54

Kerry, does the bunny not leave droppings all over the place in your bed ? Or do they get into the habit of using a litter like cats?

Cats are very independent, op. If you get one during a long holiday period, or you and OH use time off and stagger to settle it, then a more mature would probably enjoy having the house to it self during the day for snoozing. A cat flap would give it flexibility. You could still look after it well. There are the cold nights for cuddling and weekends. Maybe two of the bugge*s to keep each other company.

5OBalesofHay Mon 10-Oct-16 23:25:33

Why not riding lessons if you aren't very experienced?

Scuttlebutter Mon 10-Oct-16 23:31:58

Please consider the Cinnamon Trust - they're a wonderful charity. Not only will you get your doggy fix but you will also be helping an elderly or very ill person.

Also most dog rescues are very glad of all sorts of help - how about homechecking for new adoptions, or joining a transport network so dogs can be moved safely and quickly to and from fosters, kennels, adopters etc. Lots of rescue kennels are very glad of dog walkers and there are all sorts of events which need volunteers e.g. bringing dogs needing homes along to meet and greet sessions with the public and similar.

Contact a couple of local dog rescues and they will be delighted. smile

TrionicLettuce Mon 10-Oct-16 23:38:52

Another vote for the Cinnamon Trust or volunteering with a local rescue. You could help with the dogs themselves, home check, do transport runs if you have a suitable vehicle.

You could volunteer to help steward at equestrian events or dog shows. All the ones I know of (particularly riding clubs and small open dog shows) are always desperate for people to help out.

TrionicLettuce Mon 10-Oct-16 23:39:59

Another thought, have you got a local RDA? Volunteering with them is hugely rewarding.

kerryob Mon 10-Oct-16 23:43:52

Haha I wouldn't let any animal in my bed if it was going to leave presents like that! Rabbits can be house trained our bunny has a cat litter tray with a puppy pad & hay on top. They're very clean animals as they don't want to attract foxes etc in the wild so tend to go in 1 place

SpookyPotato Mon 10-Oct-16 23:51:32

Cats are fine with fulltime workers! They just do their own thing. Do it wink

MsMims Mon 10-Oct-16 23:51:37

Would you be in a position to take on a couple of older cats? Cats sleep a lot, and generally adjust their waking hours to when their family is about. I know you work long hours but a home is so much better than a rescue centre. Look for a pair to keep each other company.

I agree it would be unfair on a dog or kitten/ young cat but honestly plenty of adult cats would suit the set up nicely!

And you're right, you are missing out. They are massively life enhancing. Go on grin

TheCatsMother99 Mon 10-Oct-16 23:55:12

Another vote here for a couple of older rescue cats. Cats are perfect for people who work long hours as they often want to be left alone for the majority of the day anyway.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Mon 10-Oct-16 23:56:05

Get a cat.

Get a cat.

Get two cats.

I miss my cat.

Glastokitty Tue 11-Oct-16 00:06:20

Definitely get a cat or two, I adore my two daft twats (and we are out of the house all day during the week). They just sleep when you're not around (or hold huge parties and tidy up really well afterwards grin).

Bimbop5 Tue 11-Oct-16 01:30:31

I have two rabbits and they are awesome. They are both litter trained so very clean. They don't smell or make noise. Also, mine sleep most of the day but are very active in the evening, so I don't feel guilty when I'm at work. Both are neutered and love to be petted. They are pretty hilarious to watch. Running at full speed and jumping high into the air. It's so cute .

Seren85 Tue 11-Oct-16 02:12:20

This is why we have a hamster. He's adorable and very sweet. We'd both love a dog but it isn't feasible and I'm not really a cat person. I have a family dog at my parents which takes the edge off but our hamster is a lovely pet. Friends have a pair of well trained house bunnies for the same reasons.

DryIce Tue 11-Oct-16 10:17:04

I was in a very similar position, being out of the house a lot during the day and feeling it was a little mean to leave an animal on their own.

So I got two cats! They are sisters and good friends and clean each others faces, as well as being adorable stripey purry things when we get home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now